bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: He who has understanding, speaks  (Read 4910 times)

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
He who has understanding, speaks
« on: November 22, 2007, 08:41:21 PM »

It would seem that some ordinary men in the history of our national government did possess understanding.
Bob

Abraham Lincoln's Thanksgiving Proclamation
October 3, 1863

"I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to his tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union. It is the duty of nations as well as of men to own their dependence upon the overruling power of God; to confess their sins and transgressions in humble sorrow, yet with assured hope that genuine repentance will lead to mercy and pardon; and to recognize the sublime truth, announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by all history, that those nations are blessed whose God is the Lord.

Beloved

Re: He who has understanding, speaks
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 10:07:53 PM »

Amen Bob

Thanks for the copy of his proclamation  Lincoln believed in universal salvation. He did lay it all out for all of the people to see.

He understood the plan and the timing..... but many were blind and all they 'saw' was the day off , the turkey and pumpkin pie. It is almost the same today...

Beloved         not me .....I had lambchops

Grateful

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 05:15:56 PM »

Bravo, Bob, for bringing up Lincoln's Thanksgiving Proclamation!!!!!  I'm not sure I've ever read it before (my memory of U.S. History is atrocious, mainly because I couldn't read my high school history teachers' lips very well, and what little I DID get was soooooo boring, because it all seemed to be just "names of people--places--and dates that things occurred"  ----  no "fleshed-out"-honest-to-God-HUMAN INTEREST STORIES ).

Beloved, I had homemade minestrone -- with ham in it and real bacon bits on top....no turkey either!  Another turkey was spared!   :) ;)

How MUCH we Americans have to be THANKFUL  for!!   I've noticed that very FEW people emigrate from this country to others......it's the OTHER WAY AROUND!   I just PRAY that God will turn this country around and lift our status in the world to the point where all other countries can SEE America as a Beacon of Hope AGAIN !!  (I'm referring to the debacle of the war in Iraq, of course.  I don't believe we should be fighting another country's civil war for them. )  Actually, I'd MUCH RATHER see Christ return again, and "take care of Divine Business" and help us ALL (all over the globe) to live TRULY SPIRITUAL LIVES!  :)

Waiting for Him with expectancy, with you all, and yet doing what I can to pray for my own spiritual transformation NOWADAYS,

Linda

Chris R

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 11:28:43 AM »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for sharing, Amazing...how far we have gone away from this thinking, it's apparent to me, this Nation has all but abandoned the most rudiment fundamentals of the very things which made Her great.

Chris R

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 04:17:23 PM »

I believe our true citizenship is not of this world. I am not anti USA. I have many fond memories of America it is just that one leader does not make a Nation. Ask Israel or Josiah or Moses. Since Christ came, now is the spiritual not national but that is just how I see it...

Peace be to you all

Arcturus :)

Grateful

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 04:59:31 PM »

Yes, Arcturus, our TRUE citizenship is NOT of THIS world (dictionary definition :  "world" = "were" [ "man", as in "were-wolf", "man-wolf" ]  +  "old"  =  "age"  , therefore "world"  =  "man-age" ) but the Heavenly, GOD-sanctioned & sanctified, perpetually!!   :D :D ::)

As I see it, "think local, but BE global !"  (spiritually, that is)

ENJOYYYY today while it is yet TODAY!!   :D ;D

Love,

Linda

gmik

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 01:20:20 AM »

Joy to the WORLD, the Lord is KING

Let EARTH receive HER KING

HE rules the WORLD  Our SAVIOUR Reigns

Paraphrased but I love those words.

I kinda liked Arcs take on physical first then spiritual.

(PS-side bar-  watching Lawrence Welk tonite and just thinking about how our culture has changed since then!)

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 01:38:43 AM »

I believe our true citizenship is not of this world. I am not anti USA. I have many fond memories of America it is just that one leader does not make a Nation. Ask Israel or Josiah or Moses. Since Christ came, now is the spiritual not national but that is just how I see it...

Peace be to you all

= = = =

Very good observation Deborah,

My main point in quoting Lincoln was based upon the following phrase in his declaration:

"to confess their sins and transgressions in humble sorrow, yet with assured hope that genuine repentance will lead to mercy and pardon;"

That phrase more than anything else illustrates an attitude of American society that is no longer apparent.
In most instances recently, politicians ask only for God's BLESSING on America,  seldom for correction.

Bob

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 05:23:18 AM »

I see your point Bob and yes those timeless and precious words will be their own conviction when judgment comes to teach righteousness to all nations and all people eventually. :)

Peace be to you brother

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 05:30:52 AM by Arcturus »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.