bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 days 3 nights  (Read 13350 times)

fe32k

3 days 3 nights
« on: November 26, 2007, 12:43:54 PM »

Matthew 12:40
For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Ray keeps giving teasers about this "parable." Does anyone here have a clue as to what this means? Has he actually said anything about it?

I truly have no theories for this. Did this even have anything to do with His death and resurrection? thanks...

Peace,
Roy

Kat

Re: 3 days 3 nights
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 01:00:09 PM »

Hi fe32k,

I found all these email.  This should help your understanding  :)

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,1057.0.html ------

Jesus NEVER said that He would be "buried" for three days and three nights. Where did He ever say such a thing? You made that up. He said He would be "In the heart of the earth" for three days and three nights. He did not say that he would be "burried" for that time, or even "dead" for that time. Remember this is "the sign of JONAH."  WAS JONAH D-E-A-D?  I'll write a paper on this went I get good and ready to write a paper on this and not before. Sorry.
Ray
v
v
Dear Lyndon:
You just don't get it.  You are inventing one unscriptural theory after the other.  Jesus did not say He would be DEAD for three days and three nights.  Jesus did NOT say that He would be BURIED in a tomb for three days and three nights. You can say that if you want to, but you know that it is unscriptural.  Jesus did not say that as Jonah was in the belly of the fish for three days and three nights, so He would also be in the belly of a fish for three days and three nights.  You still don't get, do you? It's a PARABLE, but you don't believe that either, do you (Matt. 13:34)?

Are the three days and three nights of Jonah being compared with the three days and three nights of Jesus?  NO!  No, that is not the point of comparison. You are totally, totally missing it.  Here is the point of comparison:

Jonah:  "AS... Jonas was three days and three nights IN THE WHALE'S BELLY,
Jesus:  SO... shall the Son of man be three days and three nights IN THE HEART OF THE EARTH."

There is your "comparison."
There is your "sign."
There is you "parable."

AS "in the whale's belly," SO "in the heart of the earth."

But you still don't know what this "parables" means, do you? For you have not a clue as to what "in the heart of the earth means."  Some day I will write a paper and explain all this, but not today.
God be with you,
Ray
v
v
OF COURSE JESUS WAS DEAD after they crucified Him. But what does that have to do with "in the DEPTH OF THE EARTH?" You just don't get it. Give it up.
This conversation is over. I will give the answer when I write my paper,
which will not be today.
Ray
v
v
Okay, THIS will be my last communication on this (for SURE).

I never said, or even suggested that Jonah's commission was a "parable," now did I? No, I did not.  You know as well as I (or maybe you don't, but now you do) that you need a SECOND WITNESS to establish any spiritual truth.  I gave you that second witness, but you didn't even get it because you are still thinking carnal and physical and literal, and that kind of thinking will never explain a parable, as parables are only "SPIRITUALLY discerned."

The second Scripture that is a Second Witness to "heart of the earth" is "Now that He ascended [which He did], what is it but that He also descended first into the LOWER [DEPTH, LOWER, UNDER, LOWEST LEVEL, etc.] parts of the earth?" (Eph. 4:9).  There it is. There  is the second witness.  But you still don't know what this parable is. The "heart [depth] of the earth" IS the parable.  I will tell you what it means and how it was that it lasted for three days and three nights when I write my paper.  Til then, have a nice life.

Ray

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,5266.0.html --------

Dear Herman:

Actually I don't believe I have ever given the complete answer to this question. I will write a paper on it in the future. It will take at least ten pages to explain it. Jesus never said what "length of time He would be in the tomb."

It is assumed that He said that, when in fact, He did not. He said He would be "three days and three nights IN THE HEART OF THE EARTH."  He did not say He would be DEAD for that period, or in the TOMB for that period, for He clearly was NOT dead for that period or in the tomb for that period. He was crucified Friday afternoon and rose from the dead early Sunday morning, and there is absoutely no way to configure those days according to the Scriptures. I don't have time to explain it in an email, as it would take me all day.

God be with you,

Ray

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,5266.0.html ----------

Dear Eric: No, I am not "having difficulty distinguishing this time-line." I know from the Scriptures when Jesus was buried and when He was resurrected. Your theory is, however, not Scripturally correct. I do not have time to write a paper on this subject now, although I have received possibly one hundred emails such as yours trying to "straighten me out." Most of them have used your Wednesday evening crucifixion/Thursday was a Holy Day theory. I will just give you a couple of problems with this theory:                                                              ;                 

[1]  Jesus never said He would be "DEAD for three days and three nights." Most everyone who tries to solve this problem make that unscriptural assumption. Jesus said He would be "three days and three night IN THE HEART OF THE EARTH."  Remember this is the "sign of Jonah," and Jonah was NOT DEAD AT ALL, not even for one day.

[2]  You state: "that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the Sabbath day, (for that day was an high day)...."  Meaning to you that that day "Thursday" was an high day."  Not so. Let's read  Joh 19:31 "The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,)...."  Ah, did you catch that?  It doesn't say that "that day was an high day," does it?  No, it says "for THAT SABBATH DAY was an high day."  Big difference. There is your Scriptural answers. THAT SABBATH DAY [Saturday] was ALSO (in addition to being the weekly Sabbath day), was ALSO an high day. It is redundant and meaningless to suggest that "that Sabbath day was a Sabbath day" or "that high day was an high day). No, it was that SATURDAY, 7TH DAY, SABBATH DAY was ALSO an high day.  Your Thursday high day theor y falls flat.

[3]  After the resurrection early Sunday morning, word went out the Jesus was taken from the tomb. Two of Jesus' disciples felt that they had been let down. They headed for Emmaus. On the road Jesus met up with them (this was LATE Sunday afternoon), but He didn't makes His identity known. He asked the two men why they were so unhappy.  They informed Jesus that the One they though was the Messiah was gone. They explained to Jesus..."how  the chief priests and our ruler DELIVERED HIM TO BE CONDEMNED TO DEATH AND HAVE CRUCIFIED HIM. But we trusted that it had been He which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this TODAY IS THE  T-H-I-R-D  DAY since these things [condemned to death and crucified] were done."

Oops!  What have we here? From the day that Jesus was condemned and crucified until SUNDAY late afternoon was "THE third day." According to your theory, Wednesday was the day Jesus was "condemned to death and crucified." Now let's count: day one Wednesday; day two Thursday; day three Friday; day four Saturday; and day five Sunday.  Sunday afternoon would have had to be the FIFTH day according to you theory.

Etc., etc.

I will write a paper on this subject explaining it fully when I get a chance, and my explanation will not contradict ANY Scriptures.

God be with you,
    Ray

fe32k

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 01:27:56 PM »

These are all the teasers I was talking about  :P.

Gregor

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 08:35:03 PM »

Interesting topic, and full of good insite. I look forward to hearing more on it from Ray. I also really enjoyed and appreciated Diana's reply. It was full of thought-provoking scriptures. Thanks.
G.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 09:03:27 AM »

He/it is in us and we are in its belly of appetites, led into the wilderness to be tempted by our own lusts, but take heart, on our third day you and I shall also be a completed work of perfection.

Hi Diana,

I think I understand where you are coming from, but this statement does not seem to fit scripturally, is there chapter and verse that substantiates this conclusion?

I am not aware of the Spirit of Christ and Satan coexisting within the same person, the beast within receives inspiration and power from the serpent as the lusts of the natural man are enflamed and justified by him but I do not see anywhere in scripture that it is stated that Satan is in us. I know there are proponents of the theory that Satan is a metaphor for our fleshly desires but that is a whole other topic.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

fe32k

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 03:14:34 PM »

Hi Diana,

Interesting stuff, but is this something you adhere to, or just a theory? I am wondering why then Jesus said that the sign of Jonas is for the generation He is living in.

Matthew 12:39
But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

We can argue that all the generations are evil and adulterous, but it must be admitted that Jesus was addressing the Pharisees that asked for a sign. This makes me think it was/is a physical sign, or something that can be seen by those Pharisees who most definitely do not have Jesus in their hearts.  Your theory would make sense if the sign were for us, but the sign is at least for the pharisees and at most for the whole world, but definitely not for just believers that have God's spirit residing in them. what do you think?

Peace,
Roy

cherokee

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 06:07:21 PM »

Hi All,
Here is another email I found on the BT site that may help give us more understanding.
Suzie

http://bible-truths.com/email6.htm#three
Dear Urban:

You are a pretty sharp guy to catch that! I will write a separate paper on this subject in the near future, or I may incorporate it into my paper on "The Lake of Fire."

I changed my view, because as of three months ago, I realized I was teaching heresy regarding these "three days and three nights." I spent tens of hours on this subject a couple of months back, when I should have been writing on my paper. A friend believed that "three days and three nights" could mean any part of three days and three nights. I said that "three days and three nights" could not possibly means "Friday night, Saturday day, and Saturday night." That's only ONE day and TWO nights.

I calculated EVERY CONCEIVABLE way possible to have Christ resurrected early Sunday morning while it was just beginning to dawn, and yet, go backwards "three NIGHTS and three DAYS" and arrive a time and day that would fit all of the other statements regarding the crucifixion, burial, and resurrection--the Passover preparation day, the hurrying to bury Christ because of impending weekly Sabbath, that that Sabbath that year was "an high or holy" day in addition to being the weekly sabbath, etc., etc.
Anyway, I found that IT CANNOT BE DONE! IT WON'T FIT! No matter how anyone configures the Passover, Days of Unleavened Bread, weekly Sabbath, etc., IT CANNOT BE DONE--it will not fit. I spent hours and hours just on the Scripture in Luke's account where the men going to Emmaus were accosted by our Lord, and one of them remarked, "And beside all this, TO DAY IS THE THIRD DAY since these things were done" (Luke 24:21). But I found one translation that said, "Besides all this, IT HAS ALREADY BEEN THREE DAYS since these things were done." I thought I was really on to something here. NOT!

I obviously prayed to God to give me understanding. After one of my intense sessions with the Scriptures regarding this matter, I went to the kitchen for a drink, and while on my way God turned on a light bulb in my spirit. I had FAILED MYSELF TO DO WHAT I HAVE BEEN TEACHING OTHERS. I was thrilled with the answer--God gave me the answer.

I called Michael, and informed him that "he was RIGHT after all." By combining ALL of the Scriptural statements regarding Christ's crucifixion, He HAD to be buried on Friday evening and raised Sunday morning! And Michael was delighted to know that he was right after all. But my next statement floored him. I then told Michael that I WAS RIGHT ALSO. THAT JESUS CHRIST REALLY WAS THREE DAYS AND THREE NIGHTS IN THE HEART OF THE EARTH!
Well, Michael was now bewildered--HOW CAN THAT BE, THAT'S A CONTRADICTION! I told him that it is no contradiction, we were both right and we were both wrong. Jesus Christ was buried Friday evening and rose Sunday morning, and yet, was also "three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

Two things I neglected to follow:
Jesus Christ ALWAYS, ALWAYS spoke to the multitudes in public in PARABLES. Parables are not LITERAL, neither do they lie. I neglected to tread this teaching of Jesus as a "parable."
It NOWHERE SAYS that Jesus would be "DEAD for three days and three nights." I just ASSUMED that is what was meant by the phrase "in the HEART OF THE EARTH."
I'll just give you the gist of the answer, as my time is limited right now. Jesus called "three days and three nights in the HEART OF THE EARTH," "the SIGN of Jonah." Now then, if Christ was to be DEAD for the exact period of TIME of three days and three nights, How then could that be "the sign of Jonah?" JONAH WAS NOT DEAD AT ALL!!! Jonah went through 'A LIVING HELL' if you will! Besides, Jesus was NOT buried in the "HEART" of the earth, He was buried in an ABOVE THE EARTH TOMB! Maybe twenty inches or so on the other side of a big stone.
"In the HEART OF THE EARTH" is a parable showing the unbelievable agony of the human spirit and flesh that Jesus would go through LEADING UP TO and INCLUDING the time in the tomb. And those three days began on the PREPARATION FOR THE PASSOVER, seeing that Jesus, HIMSELF, was to BE THE PASSOVER!!!
And don't forget the AGONY IN THE GARDEN when Jesus SWEAT BLOOD!! No one will ever know what torture He endured those "tree days and three nights in the HEART OF THE EARTH." BEFORE the beatings and crucifixion we read this:
"NOW is My SOUL TROUBLED [Greek: DISTRESSED, IN TURMOIL!]; and what shall I say? Father, save Me from this hour: but for his cause came I unto THIS HOUR" (John 123:27).
The "heart of the earth" is the very DEPTH OF THE FLESH. The flesh of man is "of the EARTH, EARTHY" Paul tells us.

Again, thank you for your keen observation.

God be with you,

Ray

ez2u

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 07:13:46 PM »

If you go to:   
Job 1:6  And the day is, that sons of God come in to station themselves by Jehovah, and there doth come also the Adversary in their midst.
Job 1:7  And Jehovah saith unto the Adversary, `Whence comest thou?' And the Adversary answereth Jehovah and saith, `From going to and fro in the land, and from walking up and down on it.'
 Adversary is satan
here you see satan does go up where God is and present himself.  peggy

skydreamers

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 07:49:31 PM »

If you go to:   
Job 1:6  And the day is, that sons of God come in to station themselves by Jehovah, and there doth come also the Adversary in their midst.
Job 1:7  And Jehovah saith unto the Adversary, `Whence comest thou?' And the Adversary answereth Jehovah and saith, `From going to and fro in the land, and from walking up and down on it.'
 Adversary is satan
here you see satan does go up where God is and present himself.  peggy

Great scripture Peggy, I see you understand what I am saying... ;) ;) :)

Peace and love,
Diana

Snowfire

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 11:05:09 PM »

Quote from Ray:
"In the HEART OF THE EARTH" is a parable showing the unbelievable agony of the human spirit and flesh that Jesus would go through LEADING UP TO and INCLUDING the time in the tomb. And those three days began on the PREPARATION FOR THE PASSOVER, seeing that Jesus, HIMSELF, was to BE THE PASSOVER!!!

Why does Ray say "In the HEART OF THE EARTH" includes the time in the tomb?
During the time in the tomb Christ was dead.  Yet in the "Sign of Jonah", Jonah is alive during that time. 

Chris R

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 09:49:10 AM »

Quote from Ray:

Why does Ray say "In the HEART OF THE EARTH" includes the time in the tomb?
During the time in the tomb Christ was dead.  Yet in the "Sign of Jonah", Jonah is alive during that time. 

You should send Ray a note, and ask what he meant.

Chris

hillsbororiver

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 11:56:13 AM »

Hi Snowfire,

My take on what Ray presented (and your question) begins with the questions, what did Christ come to the earth in the flesh for? What was the ultimate purpose? What is the worst sin mankind has committed, what has Christ overcome for us? What exactly is the heart of the earth, what does this really describe?

Gen 6:5  And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Jer 17:9  The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Psa 58:2  Yea, in heart ye work wickedness; ye weigh the violence of your hands in the earth.

Christ overcame sin and death for us, He experienced and was victim to the worst sin ever committed, the ultimate wickedness , the first portion of those 3 days and 3 nights were the low point in the history of man as our loving Creator was beaten and tortured to His death.

The second portion of those 3 days was His actual death, He had to die (and actually be dead) before He could be risen from (overcoming) death, the pain and suffering of sin unto death were the very things Christ overcame for us by His resurrection.

As Jonah was bound in the whale for 3 days and 3 nights our Lord was bound in the pit of man's (the earth's) depravity resulting in His death. Look at Jonah's prayer, see any similarity with the prayer of Jesus in Gethsemane?

Jonah 2
 1Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish's belly,

2And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.

3For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me.

4Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple.

5The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head.

6I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God.

7When my soul fainted within me I remembered the LORD: and my prayer came in unto thee, into thine holy temple.

8They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy.

9But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.

10And the LORD spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land.

After 3 days and 3 nights the the fruits of wickedness which are sin and death no longer had power over our Lord and Savior just as after 3 days and 3 nights the whale no longer had power over Jonah.

I can see what Ray is saying here as those 3 days and nights encompassed the entire process leading up to the death of Christ beginning at His arrest. It is apparent that the first part of the equation (pain and suffering at the hands of men) has been left out of the conventional thinking on this prophecy.

We know the heart of men (earth) is desperately wicked, it was underlined during those 3 days and nights 2000 years ago.

Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 01:33:06 PM »

Luk 24:6  He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee,

Luk 24:7  Saying, the Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.

This appears to say that it is 3 days from the time he is delivered into the hands of sinful men.

His Peace to you,

Joe

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 04:51:42 PM »

Thank you Joe for that insight that the three days are from the time Jesus was delivered and that Satan is external.

Quoting Ray:

I assure you that there is not now, nor has there ever been A WAR IN THE THRONE ROOM OF ALMIGHTY GOD.  This kind of nonsense only happens on Star Trek and in the minds of Christian theologians.  http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3224.0.html  ;D 8)

Peace be to you

Arcturus :)

« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 04:57:51 PM by Arcturus »

cherokee

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 11:36:41 AM »

Luk 24:6  He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee,

Luk 24:7  Saying, the Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.

This appears to say that it is 3 days from the time he is delivered into the hands of sinful men.

His Peace to you,

Joe

Joe,
Thanks for that insightful scripture. I believe this one also points that way.

Joh 2:19  Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

The definition of destroy-1. damage so as to eliminate. 2. kill

Ever learning,
Suzie

hillsbororiver

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »

Hi Suzie,

Yes, it certainly fits right in!

This topic inspired me to search through many Scriptures for anything containing "three days" (there is much to explore) I found an interesting bit about when Jesus went missing from His parents for "three days," I found it very uh, amazing.

Luke Chapter 2

40And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.

41Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the passover.

42And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast.

43And when they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not of it.

44But they, supposing him to have been in the company, went a day's journey; and they sought him among their kinsfolk and acquaintance.

45And when they found him not, they turned back again to Jerusalem, seeking him.

46And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.

47And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.

48And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.

49And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?

50And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them.

51And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart.

52And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

It would not be the last time Jesus was gone for three days and upon seeing Him again they would be amazed!

Joe

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 05:10:30 PM by hillsbororiver »

Snowfire

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 12:14:04 AM »

Thanks Joe for the reply, I understand it now.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 09:29:31 AM »

Hi Suzie,

You are very welcome Sister!

His Peace to you,

Joe

cherokee

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 06:12:16 PM »

Joe,
 That (Thank You) was from Snowfire.;)

Here's one from me. ;D Thank You.

I had studied this over a year ago, never could get all 3 days and nights. Now I do.

Peace to you Brother,
Suzie

hillsbororiver

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 06:30:03 PM »

Oops  :-[

Where was my head?  ???

Thank you Sister, and sorry about that Snowfire!

My only motivation and reason for being a part of this is to gain a deeper understanding of Christ and our Father's plan for all and to learn from and share with the members here, so many of us are on our own islands with no other human contact to discuss the liberating truths and methods of study that we find on Bible Truths.

When I think back to just two and a half years ago when my spiritual understanding was practically zero my appreciation for our Lord and those He has used to balm my eyes so I may begin to see I am truly humbled, there is no reason (using human logic) that one such as me should have any of the Peace of knowing in part, even through a glass darkly the wonderful, beautiful, destiny He has in store for all His creation.

Joe

P.S. Thank you too Snowfire!  ;)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.