bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Think You're Standing/Sitting Still?  (Read 6575 times)

hillsbororiver

Think You're Standing/Sitting Still?
« on: December 17, 2007, 10:07:04 PM »

I came across some interesting and really incredible information just a while ago, we all know that we are rotating around on our planet throughout the night and day and that we are orbiting the sun every year, I really hadn't thought much about how fast our solar system travels through the galaxy but the speed is almost incomprehensible, at the rate we (in our solar sytem) are moving we could travel back and forth from New York to California 81 times in an hour or a one way trip in about 45 seconds!

Earth's rotation, 1000 mph (at the equator)

Orbiting the Sun, 67,000 mph

Sun's (solar system) orbit around the galaxy, 487,000 mph

And you thought you didn't get around much?

Peace,

Joe

Deborah-Leigh

Re: Think You're Standing/Sitting Still?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 02:08:33 AM »

That's amazing!

Thanks Joe.

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

kweli

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 05:46:54 AM »

Now I know how to respond to "Do you travel a lot?".

Good one Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 09:24:58 AM »

Thanks Arcturus & Kweli,

It is amazing when we contemplate all the motion and speed that our senses are basically unaware of as we live on this earth. I wonder how much more we are unaware of in our spiritual lives as we endure our trials and tribulations.

How much are we aware of in regard to why He has us prone to certain sins and not others or why we find ourselves in the predicaments we do? How aware are we of every idle word spoken and the cumulative effect it may have either on one individual or many?

We are usually oblivious to the motion, speed and distance we travel daily, I know in my own case that often I am also oblivious to all the relatively little things that are swirling about that could effect me in one manner or another or more importantly how it may effect others, yes, I know we are caused to make certain choices but we do so willingly (sometimes by callous ignorance) and will be held accountable (not responsible), perhaps finding ourselves in the same type of situation over and over until we are eventually alligned with His will and His mind and finally become cognizant of how fast and how far we have come and have yet to go spiritually.

There I go again.... ;)

His Peace to you,

Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 09:37:11 AM »

Now I know how to respond to "Do you travel a lot?".

Good one Joe

:D

Hi Kweli,

I just had a laugh thinking about the look you might get if you were to reply to someone quoting the speeds the earth is traveling in it's rotation, orbit, etc.  :o

Peace,

Joe

Patrick

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 01:48:33 PM »

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 02:06:41 PM »

On track Joe. Few are in the fast lane many are in the rat race!

Kat

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 11:19:07 AM »

Hi Joe,

These little facts that we never knew, show us how little we are aware of all that God is actually doing in this physical creation. 
How much more must He be doing in the spiritual creation, that we are not aware of.
The whole thing is so mind boggling or maybe a good word is bizarre.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

dautyz

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 12:12:00 AM »

hi Joe,

That is so cool isn't it?  It kinda ties in with what I teach to my preschoolers when we do "The celebration of life" when a child has a birthday we talk about how many times the earth travels around the sun before they turn a year older.

God is awesome.

Thanks for sharing.

yours,
Dautyz

musicman

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »

hi Joe,

That is so cool isn't it?  It kinda ties in with what I teach to my preschoolers when we do "The celebration of life" when a child has a birthday we talk about how many times the earth travels around the sun before they turn a year older.

God is awesome.

Thanks for sharing.

yours,
Dautyz

Ooooohhh,   Ooooohhhh,   Oooooohhhhh, I know, I know.

The answer iiiiiiiissss,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,   Once??!!!!

hillsbororiver

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 11:08:34 AM »

Hi musicman,

I see you have the potential to become a star in preschool!  ;D

Peace,

Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 11:20:16 AM »

hi Joe,

God is awesome.

Thanks for sharing.

yours,
Dautyz

Hi Dautyz,

It was very early in my school days that I became interested in the solar system and outer space, it was 1st grade (Catholic school) the nun, Sister Mary Carla, had us draw the solar system and I became fascinated by Saturn's rings. As a kid I absorbed as much as I could on the subject as I really enjoyed the possiblities it presented.

Actually as I think back at the aggressive teaching philosophy of the nun's at that time I am quite amazed, we were writing long hand by the second semester of 1st grade, memorizing multiplication tables, had regularly scheduled art and music instruction and appreciation and no time for "self esteem" propaganda, self esteem was keeping your backside away from her paddle!  ;)

It is great when you can get a kid interested enough in something that they spend their free time researching and studying it.

His Peace to you,

Joe
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 11:25:17 AM by hillsbororiver »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.