bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: companion bible  (Read 6738 times)

psalmsinger

companion bible
« on: December 21, 2007, 11:58:13 AM »

Instead of resurrecting an older thread with the same topic, I thought I'd make a quick note about the companion bible.  I was studying the Mobile conference notes and the new teaching on the sabbath and I dusted off my companion bible to check it out again.  The miles of notes in the margin are not especially bullinger's commentaries but his work on the original manuscripts.  He frequently refers to the Syriac, Gr., Vulgate and Aramaic, and which words or phrases were not found in the original manuscripts and the words that Ray mentioned that were incorrectly translated.  I find that what I learned from studying that bible is like a second witness to Ray's insight.  There is no carnal translation or teacher that can verify the truth of what the Holy spirit teaches you through the revelation of Christ Jesus,however, every tool is useful for God's purpose.  It is truly wonderful when you get to experience "The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:"  Romans 8:16

Rest in the Lord,
Barbara

gmik

Re: companion bible
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 12:26:56 AM »

Hey, that is really cool.  I have been slowly going thru favorite passages online w/ the Sinaiticus that Ray mentioned.

Thanks for that 2nd witness to what Ray is seeing.

hebrewroots98

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 01:54:14 AM »

Thak you for that info psalmsinger and Gena; I need to check those out.  I was hoping to already have the Rotherhams Bible as well.  Gena, have your heard of thewiritngs of the Vaticanus, the writings of Pliny the older and Pliny the younger?  They are supposed to be pretty accurate  writings from that time as well?   

gmik

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 07:46:46 PM »

Hi.  I have actually heard of them but have not read them.  I would love to read some "newspaper" style info written during those early years by some on lookers, not necessarily believers.

Imagine a texas paper mentioning a tiny disturbance happening outside Jerusalem!!

hebrewroots98

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »

Gena,
Are you familiar with Josephus, the Historian of Jesus' time?  He writes about Jesus in that very way; although he has very little to say about Him other than...

"...Now there was about this time, Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man; for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as had a veneration for truth.  He drew over to him both many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles: HE was the Christ.  And when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men among us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at first did not forsake him; for he appeared unto them alive again the thrid day, as the divine prophets had spoken of these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him; whence the tribe of christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day...."

I just love these words from Josephus.... :o :D

gmik

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 01:47:54 AM »

Thanks!!

I had heard of Josephus but thought he only wrote about the Roman occupation.

hebrewroots98

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 01:52:52 AM »

You are quite welcome sister!  Btw, A Lovely pix of you and hubby; your hair got longer since the last pix I saw of you.. :D!!!

rjsurfs

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 12:36:44 PM »

Hi Barbara and all,

Regarding the Companion Bible... I have the Enlarged Type Edition (still pretty small to me) and mine was published by Kregel Publications out of Grand Rapid, MI. 

The print is not of the best quality and I understand why... but I am wondering if anyone has experience with another publications where it is more legible?  Maybe a different publisher cleaned it up a bit?  As an example, in mine the copies of Bullinger's handwritten notes in appendix 50 are almost unreadable...

I do have the entire thing saved on a hard drive in pdf format and it is all quite clean... I've been tempted in the past to just print the whole thing out myself and loose leaf bind it... 

Is anyone else's copy any better and might share who published it?

Bobby

P.S. I have actually seriously considered printing my own King James Bible... I know it sounds like quite an undertaking but I think it can be done for about $50 in consumables... minus of course the cost of a laser printer.  I have always wanted a very wide-margined (for notes) loose leaf edition and they are very hard to find.  The King James version bears no copyright and can be reprinted without worry (as all Bibles should be I think).  It can be found in text format all over the internet... as well as Bullinger's Companion version even.

hebrewroots98

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 05:40:53 PM »

Go for your inspired dreams Bobby!  I would purchase one from you!  :D

rjsurfs

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 06:36:43 PM »

:D Thanks Susan...

of course I would never sell God's word... have thought of making one or two for family.  The good thing about printing your own is that you can set the font at whatever you like, adjust the margins leaving just the right amount for note taking, and I think loose leaf in a binder would be nice as well... it would probably be a coffee table book...  ;D  You should see the coffee table in our house now.  None of our books are what I would call portable as we have this Companion Bible which is probably about as big and heavy as the original stone tablets, a huge Strong's, a 2 volume set of the Englishman's concordances, various translations... and there is still some room for my wife's scrapbooks!  It is a good size coffee table.   ;D

Since the coffee table is full, coffee cups have to sit on the wooden end of the sofa.

Bobby
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 06:38:54 PM by Bobby Proctor »

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 06:42:32 PM »

Sounds like you have your priorities right Bobby :D 8)

psalmsinger

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 03:30:37 AM »

You have the entire companion bible saved in pdf?  The appendixes are online somewhere but I didn't know the companion with all the notes was in pdf..  Kregel is the only known publisher....... I have the large print version also...mostly all that has gone by the wayside:)

Rest in the Lord,
Barbara

Hi Barbara and all,

Regarding the Companion Bible... I have the Enlarged Type Edition (still pretty small to me) and mine was published by Kregel Publications out of Grand Rapid, MI. 

The print is not of the best quality and I understand why... but I am wondering if anyone has experience with another publications where it is more legible?  Maybe a different publisher cleaned it up a bit?  As an example, in mine the copies of Bullinger's handwritten notes in appendix 50 are almost unreadable...

I do have the entire thing saved on a hard drive in pdf format and it is all quite clean... I've been tempted in the past to just print the whole thing out myself and loose leaf bind it... 

Is anyone else's copy any better and might share who published it?

Bobby

P.S. I have actually seriously considered printing my own King James Bible... I know it sounds like quite an undertaking but I think it can be done for about $50 in consumables... minus of course the cost of a laser printer.  I have always wanted a very wide-margined (for notes) loose leaf edition and they are very hard to find.  The King James version bears no copyright and can be reprinted without worry (as all Bibles should be I think).  It can be found in text format all over the internet... as well as Bullinger's Companion version even.

hebrewroots98

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 03:44:14 AM »

Bobby, I would give you a donation toward the cost for making it is what I mean;   Of course, never sell Gods' Word...Let us know if this is something that you have thought about and if getting them to others is an option...thanks!

rjsurfs

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 10:22:12 AM »

Will do Susan.  Your a blessing.   ;)

Barbara, I sent you a link to the pdfs as well... they are broken into 60 files totalling about 455MB.

:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.