bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: do you fast?  (Read 9995 times)

dch1

do you fast?
« on: January 03, 2008, 12:20:01 AM »

I'm new to the community. Hello everybody!!!!!!!!! I know we are not under law but Fasting is something the lord told us we would have to do if certain things were to come out or happen. He also said WHEN you fast....etc,etc,etc.  I am being lead by the spirit to fast. I don't know why but i know i am being led. Are there any other believers that feel the same. ;D

Rui

Re: do you fast?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 02:04:33 AM »

Yes i'am also being lead into fasting just to reassure you but will not go inti details...will just keep going as it were a regular day and do my best...God bless you in your fasting.....

Kat

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 02:10:24 AM »

Hi dch1 and Rui,

Here is an email on this subject.

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2260.0.html ---

Dear Patricia;

I hear TV preachers talk about how they fasted or how that they just finished a 2-day, 5-day, two-week fast. 'Me thinks' however, that they lie. And even if they aren't lying, they just lost any benefit by telling the whole world about it.

Fasting (without food or water) may be benefical to draw closer to God.  It may even be beneficial for health. But I do not believe that it will CAUSE God to do whatever it is that you have need of.

Jesus tells us that His words are "SPIRIT" (John 6:63).  And here is a portion of Scripture which speaks to the subject of "spiritual fasting"--"...Is not THIS the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that you break every yoke?...." (Isa. 6-11).

Hope this helps you,

God be with you,

Ray

dch1

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 02:14:18 PM »

Hello kat,  thanks for the link and i read the email. i was wondering what is your or for that matter anybody's take on the thought of fasting for more spiritual power. When Jesus stated "this kind come out only by fasting" I wonder if it put us in line to receive more power ( faith). Notice that Paul admonished us to be "full of the spirit", somehow indicating that one could controll the level at which we are filled. Well not level but frequency? we can not deny the disciples did not have enough power(faith) to cast the demon out of the boy ( Matt17:14-21). Personally I feel when we fast we are casting down the vain thought that we of ourselves can do anything. It increases our faith which in turn gives us more power. I don't know how but I have fasted often and the very act or decision of putting your life in God's hands is one that yields great benefits of faith(power). Does faith and power go hand in hand? I don't know but it seems as if when our lord talks about faith it is always in a way that gives power. Mountains being removed, could not cast out because of little faith....etc.etc.etc.. We are to walk as he walked and suffer as he suffered. not we should fast to get something from God. David tried that and it did not work. We can only receive what he wants to give us. I believe that's why we are lead into fastings. Jesus was also lead to fast by the spirit. I feel if it was good enough for Jesus than it is good enough for me. Thoughts and reactions anyone. Jesus bless ;D

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 04:32:25 PM »

Hello Dch1

Welcome to the Forum.

I used to Fast. Was quite good at it too but now I do not fast and am better at that! Here is something for you that might help. The following and more is found at :http://www.bibletoday.com/htstb/spurious.htm

SPURIOUS PASSAGES OF THE NEW TESTAMENT

On Authority of Professor C. Tischendorf’s notes on the readings of the two oldest Greek manuscripts: The Sinaitic and the Vatican #1209   

The following words, found in our Common Version (King James Version) are not found in the Oldest Manuscripts, and are evidently no part of the Divine Word. Let each Berean go through his Bible, pencil in hand, and mark out these words: then read the passages affected and note the improvement. This list comprises all the important interpolations discovered to date.

The compiler has condensed this list. From the compiler’s point of view there exist very good reasons why everything in this list should be crossed out of our Bibles. Thus, when the interpolations are eliminated from Mark 14:30, 68, 72, the account agrees exactly with that given by the other evangelists. Or, take Luke 23:34: history shows that the Jews have been obliged as a race to expiate their crime. Or take John 4:9: it does not agree at all with Luke 9:52, which shows that even the Lord himself did have such dealings. Omitted from this list are the dozens of interpolations made by early copyists with the aim of making all the narratives uniform, and the hundreds of non-essential words, the addition of which does not affect the purity of the message. (Some of these passages have already been omitted by more modern translations such as the New American Standard or the New International Version, since they were translated from the more reliable, ancient manuscripts.)

Matt.17:21 and fasting

Mark 9:29 and fasting

1 Cor. 7:5 fasting and

Quite amaizing don't you think! :) It is not even in the Scriptures! That makes this UNScriptural!  ;D

Well it was good for my health and appreciation after I did the three day no food only water fast. It did nothing but boost my pride that I did the fast and that was ill health to my standing in front of Christ! :P I have repented by Grace of God and His goodness and Mercy!

Hope this helps :)

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

Kat

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 04:36:05 PM »

Hi dch1,

I think if you feel you gain spiritually by fasting, then certainly it is something that is okay for you to do.  But as with anything that we do we have to make sure we do not think it is of ourself that any good thing is accomplished.
But I do not feel compelled to fast.  I find my thoughts being on my thirst and hunger actually is a distraction.  
I look at faith as a GIFT of God and cannot be obtained by any human endeavor.  We should go to God for faith, He is the source of true spiritual faith and assurance.

Eph 2:8  For by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God,

mercy, peace and love
Kat

p.s. very good point, it's not even in the Scripture to do so.

hebrewroots98

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 04:44:18 PM »

Very good point Arcturus; I did not know that.  I will check out that site and list a bit later, as it would be nice to see (in list form) all of the words that are mistranslated, missing, or added to...Thank you! ;)

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 05:53:11 PM »

I am glad you are inspired to continue to study Susan! That is wonderful!

Peace to you sister

Arcturus :)

dch1

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 09:23:22 PM »

I thank everybody that replied. I know I have to work out my salvation with fear and trembling. Please pray for me.  I just have this feeling deep down inside that this is what I need to do. On another note i was thinking yesterday how hard it is to go against popular methodologies and doctrines. Can you guys fathom how hard it was for abram to leave out of his country going against what he had known his whole life? The apostles. Wow the apostles actually had to forget everything they had spend hrs and years learning to believe. The same for us. I know it is a journey of renewing my mind and forgetting everything that I spent hrs and years learning. wow!!!!!!!!!

skydreamers

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 09:43:21 PM »

Hi dch1 (welcome to the forum),

perhaps the feeling deep down that you have is God calling you to fast in the way Isaiah describes as Ray pointed on in his email in the above post by Kat.

Here is the passage as The Message renders it:

"This is the kind of fast day I'm after: to break the chains of injustice, get rid of exploitation in the workplace, free the oppressed, cancel debts. What I'm interested in seeing you do is: sharing your food with the hungry, inviting the homeless poor into your homes, putting clothes on the shivering ill-clad, being available to your own families. Do this and the lights will turn on, and your lives will turn around at once. Your righteousness will pave your way. The GOD of glory will secure your passage. Then when you pray, GOD will answer. You'll call out for help and I'll say, 'Here I am.' "If you get rid of unfair practices, quit blaming victims, quit gossiping about other people's sins, If you are generous with the hungry and start giving yourselves to the down-and-out, Your lives will begin to glow in the darkness, your shadowed lives will be bathed in sunlight. I will always show you where to go. I'll give you a full life in the emptiest of places-- firm muscles, strong bones. You'll be like a well-watered garden, a gurgling spring that never runs dry...
Isaiah 58:6-11

Perhaps this is the kind of fast God is calling you to do....

Peace and love,
Diana

musicman

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 09:56:15 PM »

I'm new to the community. Hello everybody!!!!!!!!! I know we are not under law but Fasting is something the lord told us we would have to do if certain things were to come out or happen. He also said WHEN you fast....etc,etc,etc.  I am being lead by the spirit to fast. I don't know why but i know i am being led. Are there any other believers that feel the same. ;D

Yes, I fast.

At meal times I'm always the first in line to stuff my face.  So I'm pretty fast.

dch1

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 09:58:08 PM »

NOW THAT IS SO FUNNY!!!!!!!tHAT DESERVES 100 LOL'S

dch1

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 10:00:59 PM »

THANKS SKYDREAMERS MAYBE YOU ARE RIGHT. I have got to really fall on my face and seek jesus.

rjsurfs

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 10:25:56 PM »

To build upon what Kat stated:
But as with anything that we do we have to make sure we do not think it is of ourself that any good thing is accomplished.

Fasting (in regards to food) is a physical act... and I would caution anyone fasting in this way looking for physical results.  There are no magic formulas, dances, or physical acts that will give us more of God's love, faith, prosperity, etc... to believe that a physical act can manipulate God to act or not act brings pride and vanity into our lives. 

I was drawn to the conclusion of Ray's Tithing paper today while thinking of fasting... I see many similarities to the giving of power to tithing, baptism, communion, other religious ceremonies, etc...

Turn to Gal. 6:14-16:

"Now may it not be mine to be boasting, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision is anything, but a NEW CREATION. And whoever shall observe the elements by this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, also on the Israel of God."

What is "...this rule...?" We are no longer doing things according to the flesh. Circumcision was the single most important ritual for a man in Israel to do. Yet circumcision is physical (of the letter and of the flesh), even water baptism is physical (of the letter and of the flesh), sacrificing animals is physical (of the letter and of the flesh), tithing is physical (of the letter and of the flesh), etc., etc., etc.

"...God, Who also makes us competent dispensers of a NEW covenant, not of the letter, but of the spirit, for the letter is killing, yet the spirit is vivifying [giving life]" (II Cor. 3:6).

The physical is but a tiny microcosm of the spiritual macrocosm. Cutting a few centimeters of skin from a boy’s penis does not make him a spiritual man! But all of these rituals and ceremonies of the Old Covenant pointed to a future SPIRITUAL reality. True circumcision is not of the flesh, but of the heart, mind, soul, and spirit—it virtually has nothing to do with a few centimeters of physical skin.

"For not that which is apparent is the Jew, nor yet that which is apparent in flesh is circumcision; but that which is hidden IS the Jew, and circumcision is of the heart, in spirit, not in letter, whose applause is not of men, but of God" (Rom. 2:29).

Jesus Christ is not interested in the letter, in the physical, in the flesh.

"Now those who are in the flesh are not able to please God" (Rom. 8:8 ).

Even baptism is of the heart. The thief on the cross was not baptized in water, yet Jesus said he would be with Him when He comes in His kingdom. "...whoever are baptized into Christ Jesus, are baptized into His DEATH" "His death," not water.

"We, then, were entombed together with Him through baptism into death, that, even as Christ was roused from among the dead through the glory of the Father, thus we also should be walking in newness of life" (Rom. 6:3-4).

It’s all about the SPIRIT--not water, foreskins, and money!

God doesn’t need or want ten percent of anything we have. God wants one hundred percent. Christ died for ALL OF YOU, and He wants ALL OF YOU, not just a percentage! God doesn’t want your money; He wants YOU!

You are already bought and paid for in full by Christ Jesus -- don’t try to add your two cents. We are now to live on a standard far above what we ever knew before Christ called us to become new creatures in the spirit. This can only be done through the power of God’s spirit. Our flesh is profiting NOTHING.

"Yet you are not in flesh, but IN SPIRIT, if so be that God’s spirit is making its home in you" (Rom. 8:9).

One living in the spirit is not all concerned about physical things of the letter and of the flesh. The apostle Paul wasn’t called to "baptize," "circumcise," or "collect tithes." The kingdom of God is not food and drink. Paul’s whole ministry was proof of that--see my paper, "Paul’s Splinter in the Flesh."

If people feel they need to give something to God, something physical, something they can see and feel good about, then try this:

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove that is that good and acceptable and perfect, will of God" (Rom. 12:1-2).

Bobby

Grateful

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 02:25:17 AM »

Dear Musicman,

You fast??   AH HAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!     ;D ;D       I  FASTER!!    Tee hee!

John9362

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 03:06:47 AM »

Dear Musicman and Grateful,

I am definately the FASTEST !!

I just spent 10 days on a Pacific Cruise and put on 5 Kilo's (about 12 pounds..I think) 5 Kilo's in 10 days......That's what you call fast.....................Now I'm chained to my Treadmill for 40 days and 40 nights  >:(

Love you guys  ;D  John

hebrewroots98

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 08:22:10 AM »

Too Funny John9362 ;D.  Remind me to never go on a cruise ship with that kind of food temptation.  (I was thinking more about how I FAST everyday (in my pickup!!!  It is Not good to have my womens size 12 and 1/2 shoe!!  Well, I have to blame something on my FAST driving don't I? ??? ::) ;) ;D

But, seriously, I personally have to be very careful when and if I fast, b/c it is a temptation for me to want to talk about it :-\ :-X.  I have only fasted a few times in my life and it was for my family's SALVATION!  I spent 5 days without food (had only water), and my dad and my brother 'got saved' (baptised that next Sunday!)  At the time that I was in Babylon it meant success to me, but, I have not been led to fast in a long time.  If anything, I would do it to detoxify my system to get healthier.  As a prior Messianic believer, they take great pride in having diff fasts throughout the year and they do it as a collective group; which to me defeats the purpose ;) 

Just do what you feel led to do brother!

Rui

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 04:22:25 PM »

Hi dch1 and Rui,

Here is an email on this subject.

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2260.0.html ---

Dear Patricia;

I hear TV preachers talk about how they fasted or how that they just finished a 2-day, 5-day, two-week fast. 'Me thinks' however, that they lie. And even if they aren't lying, they just lost any benefit by telling the whole world about it.

Fasting (without food or water) may be benefical to draw closer to God.  It may even be beneficial for health. But I do not believe that it will CAUSE God to do whatever it is that you have need of.

Jesus tells us that His words are "SPIRIT" (John 6:63).  And here is a portion of Scripture which speaks to the subject of "spiritual fasting"--"...Is not THIS the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that you break every yoke?...." (Isa. 6-11).

Hope this helps you,

God be with you,

Ray

Well yes thank you and i completely agree , my quote was just awelcoming one ad to encourage as to let him know that he is not alone as for fasting i do believe it is scriptural and may help in many ways however it is to be kept between me and God. and so i have not mentionned being in fasting but that i was inspired to do so....Thank you however for your quote.....Rui

Linny

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 06:51:22 PM »

I have changed my feelings/mind regarding fasting for spiritual reasons but I still feel like fasting is a healthy thing to do.
Perhaps your body is in need of a healing fast and that is why you feel called to do it?
I generally fast with fresh juices for the health benefits but a water fast would also be good for your body. I don't see a need to do a LONG term fast however.

Just MHO.

dch1

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 08:57:49 PM »

Thanks rui and lenny, I know i am not alone now. I kind of felt bad because I know it is something physical but even as ray pointed out it can correlate to the spiritual with great benefits. God bless you. I wish i could share but I will keep it between me and Jesus. Rui you understand. You truly understand. I will say this Obedience is better than sacrifice.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.