bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What happens to your body when you stop smoking?  (Read 6188 times)

Matt

What happens to your body when you stop smoking?
« on: January 04, 2008, 03:31:44 AM »

Just in case anyone wants to stop, or help a loved one:

According to the American Cancer Society and the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as soon as you snuff out that final cigarette, the body begins a series of changes:

-Within 20 minutes, the blood pressure and pulse rate drop to normal. Body temperature of hands and feet increases to normal.
-Within eight hours, carbon monoxide level in the blood drops to normal and oxygen levels in blood rise to normal. Smoker's breath disappears.
-Within 24 hours, chance of heart attack decreases.
-Within 48 hours, nerve endings start regrowing. Ability to taste and smell enhances.
-Within three days, breathing is easier.
-Within two to three months, circulation improves. Walking becomes easier. Lung function increases up to 30 percent.
-Within one to nine months, you'll cough less. Sinus congestion and shortness of breath decrease. The cilia that sweep debris from the lungs will grow back. You'll feel more energetic.
-Within one year, excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker.
-Within two years, heart attack risk drops to near normal.
-Within five years, lung cancer death rate for average former smoker (of one pack a day) decreases by almost half. Stroke risk is reduced to that of a nonsmoker five to 15 years after quitting. Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat and esophagus is half that of a smoker's.
-Within 10 years, lung cancer death rate is similar to that of a non-smoker's. Precancerous cells are replaced. Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney and pancreas decreases.
-Within 15 years, risk of coronary heart disease is that of a non-smoker's.  :)

with only Christ's love as my motive,
Matt

Sorin

Re: What happens to your body when you stop smoking?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 07:01:54 AM »

Hi Matt,

May I ask where you got this information from, and how do we know it to be true?

Peace,
Sorin

hebrewroots98

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 01:43:45 AM »

Hi Sorin,
I have seen this same info also in the AHA literature (American Heart Association); plus, I have seen it in the lives of some smokers whom had quit; myslef for one (praise God that it has been about a dozen yrs ago that I have quit...)

Which reminds me; PLEASE PRAY FOR MY DH, HE IS WANTING TO STOP TOO.  Thank you!

Thanks for the info Matt!

Beloved

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 11:00:45 AM »

Nicotine is the strongest addicitive substance out there. Our body's have built in nicotine receptors....nicotine is a stimulent.....it calms the smoker because in between smoking these receptors increase firing hense the restlessness,,,it creates a vicious cycle.

Some other referenece Sorin

The benefits of smoking timescale used in this report is based on 1990 The Health Benefits of Smoking Cessation

A Report of the Surgeon General Source: Office on Smoking and Health
Royal College of Physicians. Smoking or Health. London, Pitman, 1977

Tennesssee has banned smoking in almost all builgings. It has also started a free Chantix program   this is a new producr...it binds nicotine receptors  It has a very high success rate even with 2-3 ppd smokers

You start out with 1/2 pill and by the end of the week you are takin one twice a day.....you set a date and put your cigaretts down and continue medication if needed ....the max you use it is three months.....you do not get the withdrawl symptoms any more.  You cannot be on this drug and taking any Pschyatric meds or have sever psychiatric problems , or have had a recent MI within two weeks.

Side effects of Chantix  are a little nausea that decreases as you use it, some have vivid dreams  Insurance should cover If No insurance check with your local health department to see if they have it , otherwise It may be around  $140.oo 

Beloved

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: What happens to your body when you stop smoking? Life returns!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 04:59:31 AM »

Thanks Matthew, good report and helpful.

Indiana Bob.
Born 1935
enlisted in U.S.Air Force 1955
began smoking 1957 (Pall Mall, famous cigarettes, outstanding and they are mild) "according to Satan"
tour of duty ended 1959
married 1961
Quit smoking Sept. 2, 1965 (first day of the rest of my life)
(pack a day + habit, severe chest cold, quit cold turkey, wife quit 1967, kids picked on her at my prompting)

NEVER, EVER SORRY.
I assume that this was a blessing from God even before I began to realize He was working with me.

With some it may actually take a miracle from God to accomplish.  I began to believe so in my situation.

Indianabob

Matt

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 11:36:29 AM »

Just felt like I needed to share this one, don't ask me why.

;)

Matt

Sorin

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 10:12:45 PM »

Thanks for your responses. If it was on AHA then it pretty much has to be true. I need to quit smoking myself, but it's much easier said than done.

Matt

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 01:27:41 AM »

Sorin,
Believe me, I understand!  It took me several years (and many added pounds) to quit.  One day, I realized that I smoked more years than not, and it scared me.  Now my 18 year old smokes and it just kills me.
I will pray for strength for you, should you decide to quit. 
 Having lost several relative to lung cancer, I have now become "that guy", the annoying anti smoker that I just hated so much when I was a smoker  ;D

You are a very bright guy and I always look forward to your opinions here on the forum!
Have a blessed day!
Matt

jerreye

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 02:02:49 AM »

Wow, what timing!

I have been trying to quit AGAIN for the last 2 weeks. I have had 3 packs since New Years (trying the gradual cutback method this time as opposed to the cold-turkey).

I started smoking when I was 16 (now 31). I have had a couple semi-successful "quitting runs", lasting up to 1-2 years each, but I always ended up smoking again...its a habit I wish I never started. I can even remember my first cig....A friend and I found a pack in the middle of the street and we immediately got this temptation to light one up. It amazes me because just we I lit one up, standing their in the middle of the street, this old man riding a bicycle rode by and said, "that habit will kill you one day". I remember silently mocking him, not knowing that I would be hooked on those darn smokes that very same day. Should have listened :(

Anyway, I really want to kick this habit once and for all. Any prayers would be very helpful!

I'll pray for you Sorin, as I know exactly what you are going through.

Thank you Matt for that post. Certainly is a motivator! Now you know WHY you made that post :)

Jeremy
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 02:04:19 AM by jerreye »

Sorin

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 11:08:57 PM »

Sorin,
Believe me, I understand!  It took me several years (and many added pounds) to quit.  One day, I realized that I smoked more years than not, and it scared me.  Now my 18 year old smokes and it just kills me.
I will pray for strength for you, should you decide to quit.

Hi Matt,

I'm sorry that your 18 year old smokes; it's not a habit I want anyone to have. I hope he or she, will end up quiting, soon.
Also, thanks for your prayer; for I really do want to quit.

Quote from: Matthew
Having lost several relative to lung cancer, I have now become "that guy", the annoying anti smoker that I just hated so much when I was a smoker  ;D

I'm sorry for your loss. And I can see how one can become that 'annoying anti smoker' guy after having relatives die due to lung cancer.

You are a very bright guy and I always look forward to your opinions here on the forum!

:)

Hehe! Thank you Matthew, I appreciate that. Although I don't think too highly of myself personally, it's nice when other people tell me so. 

Have a blessed day!

Thanks! You too!

-Sorin
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 11:10:14 PM by Sorin »

Sorin

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 11:17:44 PM »

Jeremy,
Thanks for your prayer as well. I started when I was around 11 or 12. But it wasn't like an everyday thing until I hit around 14 I believe.
I quit for a year or so myself... then started again around 16/12... 17 yrs old... then it's been everyday 'til I had a few more short lived
attempts at quitting. Now I want to quit for good.

Thanks again,
-Sorin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.