bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jim Jones Jr. (Yes, THAT Jim Jones)  (Read 5475 times)

hillsbororiver

Jim Jones Jr. (Yes, THAT Jim Jones)
« on: January 04, 2008, 06:53:01 PM »

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/magazine/12/24/jonestown1231/

Please give it a minute to load, this is incredible, to say the least.

Peace,

Joe

Kat

Re: Jim Jones Jr. (Yes, THAT Jim Jones)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 09:48:27 PM »

Thank for that link Joe.
It was well worth the read.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Beloved

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 10:34:46 PM »

Great Link Joe.

Now there is someone who will really understand better when he learns that Gods hand was always in control even though those bizarr events.

It is truely great that his own son was his source of some healing

Beloved

hebrewroots98

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 01:23:20 AM »

OMG!  That is really something amazing!  My eyes were the size of quarters in reading this article; focusing on the son and grandson to see if there was any family resemblance to their father ...which was in the face, just not via the color of their skin,b/c their dad was Caucasian...which i think for these two guys has been a blessing in disguise;)  When that story had come out way back then, it really did open up my eyes and made me conscious of how not to put all of your trust into one man and to realize that there were many more Jim Jones' out their to take advantage of you if you let them.

Thanks for sharing Joe.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 06:01:10 AM »

This story made me think that every single one of those deceived idol loving people that were eaten for dinner by the Devourer, will be raised again to life and to face The Resurrection and The Life that is Christ Jesus. What a wake up! THAT is going to be quite an experience for them!   ;D They will not be able to kill themselves again!   ;) They will have to learn righteousness when HIS judgements are in the earth. Till then, I think...We ain't seen nothing yet ;D 8)

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

hillsbororiver

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 02:19:03 PM »

Thanks for the responses.

What a unique journey this man has had, not only having experienced Jim Jones and the "People's Temple" first hand but to have been adopted by him (at a few weeks old) seeing him first as a benefactor as a loving father, as a leader of a compassionate congregation who helped the poor in their community, then the slow but steady descent into obsession, paranoia, inflated ego, delusional persecution complex, iron fisted control, etc.

The guilt this young man must have carried knowing he sent his pregnant wife back to the camp as he went into the city to play basketball for a few days, ironically basketball had been his escape to normalcy as he watched his father sink deeper and deeper into the abyss of lies, self justification, self glory and actually believing he knew better than what God's Word has revealed. His own "revelations" carried more weight than the scriptures, dangerous waters for anyone and everyone who comes under this delusion.

How about when his own son (at about 3 or 4) first heard the word "Jonestown" on a Waco anniversary TV program and told his father (Jim Jr.) "wow" there is a town named after us? I want to go there!" The child had no idea that the town being spoken of was actually named for his family and even less of an idea the notoriety this name has.

Like you Susan my eyes were wide open as I read this  :o trying to imagine what it could have been like and gaining a lot of empathy for Jim Jones Jr. and his family.

It just underlines the danger of straying from His Word into the darkness of human logic and reasoning.

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

Samson

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 11:44:36 AM »

Good morning Joe,

Yes, I also read that article about Jim Jones Jr. in Sports illustrated about a week ago, Basketball being my favorite sport and all, its a real blessing to see this individual seem to turn out to be a decent person, considering his heritage and all. His father apparently did a good job with him. Thanks for making this post. Respectfully yours, Samson.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 12:52:16 PM »

Hi Sampson,

Yes, that is where I first saw it as I was going through the latest issue of SI, I was happy to find it available online so I could share the story. What this man went through (to me) is almost unimaginable, that he kept his sanity and has been a good example to others shows me God has a very unique plan for him (as He does for each and every one of us).

I enjoyed all the sports as a youth and even as an adult, I played baseball, football and basketball in high school and some Industrial League basketball (and softball) when I worked at Stromberg Carlson in Orlando years ago. It was a very fast league chock full of former high school and college players.

In my old neighborhood back in Rochester N.Y. the only thing that kept many of us out of reform school was being active in sports year round, we even played hockey in the winter, it was a great time.

His Peace to you,

Joe

Samson

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »

Hey Joe,

I hope your favorite professional basketball team isn't the N.Y. Knicks, like me (although they beat the pistons, the other night), because it looks like were in for a long season. Maybe I'll have to wait for baseball season, at least theirs' The Mets.
                                            Have a good one, Samson(Brad)

hillsbororiver

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 10:42:34 AM »

Hi Brad,

No, thankfully I do not have to suffer along with you Knick fans, it is looking rather hopeless for them. My favorite NBA team is the Orlando Magic, I really enjoy seeing Dwight Howard in action, he is really turning into a complete player.

As far as baseball goes hometown loyalty has me as a Tampa Bay Rays fan, they have been pretty awful so far but as we approach Spring Training there is always hope for a better year, they actually could be a lot more competetive this year, really.  :-\

Take care Brother,

Joe

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.