bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Psalms 54  (Read 4526 times)

phazel

Psalms 54
« on: January 24, 2008, 11:05:18 AM »

6 With a free will-offering I sacrifice to Thee, I thank Thy name, O Jehovah, for [it is] good,

Is the term free will here not translated properly?  I went to the site scripture4all.org and it is translated "voluntary".   But it does seem that most translations use the term free will.   Just a bit uncertain about this is all.   Please comment.   

Kat

Re: Psalms 54
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 11:39:44 AM »

Hi Phazel,

I have a few translations that I will share, I think it will help you see what is being said  :)

Psa 54:6

(CLV) With a volunteer offering will I sacrifice to You; I shall acclaim Your Name, O Yahweh, for it is good."

(CLV) With a volunteer offering will I sacrifice to You; I shall acclaim Your Name, O Yahweh, for it is good."

(GNB)  I will gladly offer you a sacrifice, O LORD; I will give you thanks because you are good.

(LITV)  I will freely sacrifice to You; I will praise Your name, O Jehovah, for it is good.

(MKJV)  I will freely sacrifice to You; I will praise Your name, O Jehovah, for it is good.

(NASB)  Willingly I will sacrifice to You; I will give thanks to Your name, O LORD, for it is good.

(Rotherham) With a freewill-offering, will I sacrifice unto thee, I will praise thy Name, O Yahweh, for it is good;

mercy, peace and love
Kat

jackson

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 11:45:37 AM »

I would "assume" (and you know what that makes me) that the free-will or voluntary offering given here would be better understood as something given with a loving and joyful heart.

Sorin

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 10:26:26 PM »

Yes, he willingly chose to sacrifice, but why did he choose to do so? Was it a totally free choice, without any causation whatsoever?
And if so, isn't he choosing to sacrifice, for no reason whatsoever?

Just my thoughts,
Sorin

musicman

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 12:34:40 AM »

I've always wondered if "freewill offering" was just a desperate attempt for translaters to get these words into the bible.  It obviously doesn't denote the meaning here that churchianity gives to freewill in their surmans.  I think these are just offerings that are voluntary or in otherwords, not required in God's law.  They weren't for any particualar sin.

Gregor

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »

Greetings,
Just a guess here, but it may be that the labels "free will" or "voluntary" simpley refer to the offering as an individual sacrifice rather than a corporate sacrifice. For example, the burnt offering regulated in Leviticus chapter 1 was viewed primarily a personal, private offering, done voluntarily by the individual Israelite. Elsewhere, the burnt offering is often a corporate, public offering.

In context of the entire chapter 54 of Psalms, David is being pursued/oppressed by his enemies and calls on God for help (vs.1-3). He then contemplates (vs. 4,5), he focusses his eyes back on God. Then, through faith he sees the outcome and offers a sacrifice of thanksgiving (vs.6,7).

It reminds me of the one leper (Luke 17:11-19) who was healed and returned to give thanks to Jesus, as opposed to the group of 10 that didn't.

G.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 02:52:49 PM »

Very good point Gregor!

Peace,

Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.