bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strong?  (Read 5241 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Strong?
« on: January 24, 2008, 09:02:50 PM »

Hi Ray, I'll get straight to the point.

Often when looking up the meaning of a Hebrew or Greek word in Strongs they give you the meaning of the word
    followed by the words 'by implication" or "b xtension" it also means something else, which often drastically changes
    the meaning of the word. Is my assumption correct in saying that these extensions/implications are not in the original
    definitions of the Hebrew/Greek words but have been added to fit in with the traditional Christian interpretations or
    doctrines, like everasting burning in hell.
    Please Help!
    Steve

Dear Steve:  Your question is most complicated and complex. It takes many thousands of hours of study before we come to realize that we don't know very much and that the best we can do to often rely on the "experts" in their area of expertise.  Dr. Strong is a great scholar. He does not, however, have perfect understanding of all things Hebrew, Greek, or Biblical.

First of all there is NO SUCH THING as "the original definitions of the Hebrew/Greek words."
    The best we can do is see how different words were used and are still used in the same areas of these ancient lands, and see how these words were used in other ancient literature, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc.  There is no such thing as an "original" Hebrew dictionary with the "original" definitions of all the words used in the Hebrew Manuscripts.

When Dr. Strong (and others in other lexicons and dictionaries) suggest alternate meanings, roots, plurals, figurative or literal usage, etc., etc., etc., all they are doing is trying to show us the many many many ways that these words are not only used in the Scriptures, but what they meant in the secular world, in secular literature, monuments, etc.  It is USAGE that determines the meaning of words. I have explained this several times in my writings, but you apparently have not gotten that far as yet.  "Carriage" used to mean the the material or cargo being transported, but today carriage means the wagon that CARRIES THE CARGO. So how should we define this word?  Well, it depends a whole lot on what age of literature we are trying to understand.

Sorry, but this is too big a topic for a email. Hope you understand.  There is credence to almost all the examples given in Strong's Dictionaries (but not all, however, and that is where teachers come in).
    God be with you,
    Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 23 queries.