bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Other gods......  (Read 4803 times)

hillsbororiver

Other gods......
« on: February 02, 2008, 08:17:56 PM »

Exo 20:3  Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

I remember when I was first introduced to the 10 Commandments back in Catholic school, even in first grade I thought it was kind of crazy to worship some wooden, stone or metal sculpture or some weirdo who called himself a god that was obviously just a man, even then the "pope" business was rather unsettling to me.

Of course being so young and impressionable especially by nuns who although they could be very kind and nurturing also scared the living you know what out of us after seeing them in action when some other kid did or said something out of line. A wooden paddle or yardstick was always close at hand to punish the guilty. They had no issue with being judgmental or executing judgment.

Also I witnessed the deadly accuracy of Sister Mary Carla's throwing arm when aiming an eraser at the forehead of an unsuspecting classmate talking out of turn, she apparently had eyes at the back of her head as she would be erasing the chalkboard and spin around 180 degrees firing a shot that usually met its target right between the eyes, you were not allowed to wipe off the chalk dust but were admonished to "keep it there for a badge of dishonor," so much for the modern philosophy of promoting a child's self esteem.

Needless to say I accepted their indoctrination without question even though the statues in the church were horrifying to me, seeing little old ladies dressed in black kissing the cold, lifeless feet of Jesus on the cross or Mary or an apostle's graven image was spooky. Solemnly praying the rosary as they emerged from the confessional booth looking like something out of Vincent Price movie, the fear of hell fire motivating them to kneel at the unmoving countenance of an image that could not see, hear or feel their touch or have empathy for their emotions.

As I grew a little older and met with more than a few devestating life experiences I knew I needed God in my life and there was no doubt in my mind I would not find Him at the neighborhood Catholic church I was led to the Seventh Day Adventists and saw they had no such images in their church, it was clean and devoid of any carved lifeless images, their idol(s) were more subtle, Ellen White, Sabbath Keeping, etc. This once again gave me pause in regard to organized religion. I left without looking back.

Fast forward 30 + years.........

Now that I found the Truths contained here at BT I was never tempted or gave any thought to idols as I was studying Ray's papers, he is a man, a man I perceive as being the recipient of the gift of teaching, profound revelations have been granted to me (and thousands of others) through his site.

As I find it easy not to be self deceived into any form of worshipping others whether they be human or wood, stone, metal or ceramic objects I have found that I am succeptable to allowing family, friends or coworkers to influence my thoughts and actions. Sometimes more concerned with "being accepted" than following what I know to be true and pure. We all want to be acknowledged, have our opinions appreciated and to feel like we are part of a bigger whole often losing sight of the most awesome thing in the Universe, being transformed from a beast into a Son or Daughter of God!

What was really being spoken of when we are commanded not to bow before other "gods?"

Deu 6:14  Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people which are round about you;

OK

Then this;

Jer 16:13  Therefore will I cast you out of this land into a land that ye know not, neither ye nor your fathers; and there shall ye serve other gods day and night; where I will not show you favor.

Gal 1:10  For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.

Consider this verse and it's implications;

Isa 41:23  Show the things that are to come hereafter, that we may know that ye are gods: yea, do good, or do evil, that we may be dismayed, and behold it together.

We are gods with a small g, our families and friends and coworkers are gods with a small g, who do we seek after most often? Is it our God or our "gods?"

This following verse that Jesus spoke can seem rather harsh, but I believe it encompasses the impossibilty of following His commands through human effort, without His Spirit we cannot do anything at all, especially the greatest of all commands.

Luk 14:26 If any man come to me and hate3404 not his father and mother and wife and children and brethren and  sisters yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Whoa!

G3404
μισέω
miseō
mis-eh'-o
From a primary word μῖσος misos (hatred); to detest (especially to persecute); by extension to love less: - hate (-ful).

I am quite sure the meaning is "love less" rather than hate in this instance, but isn't that even impossible without us seeking His Spirit to guide us at all times, never, ever getting to a sense of complacency?

Any comments?

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

Kat

Re: Other gods......
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 09:32:43 PM »

Hi Joe,

You have brought out an aspect of this Scripture that I believe is essential to our understanding.  We have to come to comprehend that Christ is above everything else and that includes our own life.  I was thinking that this Scripture puts that same thought forward also.

Mark 12:28  And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, "Which commandment is the first of all?"
v. 29  Jesus answered, "The first is, 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one;
v. 30  and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.'

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Chris R

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 09:56:27 PM »

v. 29  Jesus answered, "The first is, 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one;
v. 30  and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.'

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Hi Kat,

And in doing so, you will Honor your Father and Mother, and provide for your own, and especially for those of your own house, if not, these have denied the faith, and are worse than infidels.

So i would definitely agree with Joe on this, it is "love less", but certainly love.

Chris R

rk12201960

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »

Mark 12:28  And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, "Which commandment is the first of all?"

Great scripture Kat.
I like the way v,30 reads "and you SHALL...
This once again shows me (adding to what scriptures Rays has pointed out) that it is Gods spirit that pulls us. I wouldn't have seen this just a little better that a year ago,
Great posts guys.

Your Brother.
Randy.
 ;D 8) ;D

Kat

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 10:48:03 PM »

Hi Chris,

I see your point.  We love everything else less, but there must still be that love there for all.  I guess the next few Scriptures should be included  :)

Mar 12:31  The second is this, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these."
v. 32  And the scribe said to Him, "You are right, Teacher; you have truly said that He is one, and there is no other but He;
v. 33  and to love Him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the strength, and to love one's neighbor as oneself, is much more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices."
v. 34  And when Jesus saw that he answered wisely, He said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." And after that no one dared to ask Him any question.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Phil3:10

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 10:53:26 PM »

Joe,
I so agree that we need to desire HIS SPIRIT every second of our life. Without HIM we are nothing. I ask if this is possible in our frail fleshly experience. I do think that the few chosen (very elect) do love HIM with all their heart, soul, mind and strength. Can we really love HIM the way he asks us to love HIM? How about our love for our neighbors? I know that as I personally experience JESUS my love for HIM and others has continued to grow.  However, I am so far from where I need to be that it concerns me greatly. I do feel GOD has me where HE wants me but I want to be in that elect few and only continue to fall so far short. The only answer I can see is to have HIS SPIRIT indwelling and actively involved in every facet of our lives, as you so beautifully stated. My problem is that I can't see this evidenced in my life. I know that it is GOD who calls and that HIS will will be done but the last few verses of Mark 13:28-37 sounds the warning to take heed, watch and pray.

In the end times discussion in Mark 13:20-27 CHRIST is outlining the events to come and the afflictions man will experience. HE states, that no flesh should be saved but for the elect's sake, whom HE has chosen, HE has shortened the days. I ask, how do we know who the elect is, how do they become the elect, and is there a measuring stick to know who is the elect?

Any input and response will be much appreciated. Am I thinking correctly that the Lake of Fire experience is for me?
Phil3:10

rk12201960

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 10:57:29 PM »

HI guys,
had to cut in again. sorry

Mar 12:31  The second is this, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these."

I see this in the post on the forum.
takes a lot of love to put ones self on here and share our very understanding of God in our own eyes.
Is this great stuff or what!!!!!  ;D
Randy.

Grateful

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 01:10:01 AM »

Hi all !

There's another small, but important too, part to "loving the Lord thy God with all thy...."   and is found in Mark 12:30, 32-34 :

30: "And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength :  this is the first commandment.
32: "And the scribe said unto Him, 'Well, Master, Thou hast said the Truth :  for there is one God, and there is none other but He. 
33: and to love Him with all the heart and the UNDERSTANDING (emphasis mine) , and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbor as himself is more than all whole sacrifices and burnt offerings.'
34: And when Jesus saw that he answered Him discreetly, He said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst (dared) ask Him any question.

So, what I perceive is that loving the Lord thy God consists of FIVE parts :  with all thy heart, mind, soul, strength AND understanding, plus loving (caring for) thy neighbor as much as you love (care for) yourself.

As a family of God, we are servants of one another.  "Family" comes from the Italian origin word, famiglia , and means "servant", according to my Webster's Collegiate Edition of the American Language.

ALL are encircled by God's embracing, familial LOVE, fortuitously and happily...and forever!!!   :D :D

Linda   ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 20 queries.