bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Annual Prayer Day  (Read 6409 times)

shibboleth

Annual Prayer Day
« on: May 04, 2006, 10:47:23 AM »

Every year the church world holds a national prayer day on the first Thursday in May. That's today. I used to attend these events and always wondered why nothing seems to change in our country. It seems the more Christiandom fights against sin, the more it pokes its head up.  I am not saying we shoudn't be concerneded about sin. What I am saying is their focus is always on how sinful and terrible America is..

Have any of you ever taken part in the annual prayer day? The church is just like the media and will be talking about this all day. Tomorrow things will be normal and probably most those people won't pray again until next year.

Also, there used to be a March For Jesus that took place in June. Christians would have banners and sing songs and march in their home towns. Have any of you participated in that? Are they still having them? I haven't heard about them in years. It was just another Christian fad, perhaps.

Becky

Annual Prayer Day
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 10:53:26 AM »

I remember my church participating in that. We'd have a special service where we'd hold hands in a hugh circle and go from person to person... I was a teenager then and don't remember its impact on me..

I do remember the "meet you at the pole" day where us highschool (or any school) students, teachers, administrators would circle arount the flagpole before school and pray for things..

I have to admit that I would often be thinking about the "sinful" type of students that didn't participate and how I was better. I am ashamed  :oops:

zander

Annual Prayer Day
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 10:54:36 AM »

I dont think they have a prayer day in England or the UK.  But i have heard of some of the crazy rituals the American Christians of the firm do.

I saw on TV 1 guy, who, i think, every Sunday, has his friends put him up on a cross and elevated, just as Christ was crucified.  This is done by some major road in the US.  i dont know where.

eutychus

Annual Prayer Day
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 11:29:13 AM »

everyday is prayer day :wink:

hillsbororiver

Annual Prayer Day
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 12:11:07 PM »

Quote from: eutychus
everyday is prayer day :wink:

Amen to that!

The Lord doesn't call us in groups, He beckons one by one and our prayers should be humble, private, sincere & heartfelt.

Mat 6:6  But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Luk 18:10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

Luk 18:11  The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

Luk 18:12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess

Luk 18:13  And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven,but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

Luk 18:14  I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

These public displays seem to be for their own benefit, although I am sure there are many who are sincere there are some who see this as a sign of their superiority and others as a work to keep themselves out of the eternal frying pan.

Mat 6:5  And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets that they may be seen,  of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

eutychus

Annual Prayer Day
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 12:18:14 PM »

good post joe so true.

5:16
Rejoice evermore.  
5:17
Pray without ceasing.  
5:18
In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.  
5:19
Quench not the Spirit.  
5:20
Despise not prophesyings.  
5:21
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.  
5:22
Abstain from all appearance of evil.  
5:23
And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.  
5:24
Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

Becky

Annual Prayer Day
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 01:20:45 PM »

In the church world I always had a hard time doing group prayer.  I didn't want to pray outloud.  I always felt that people got disctracted with how they were sounding to others instead of what they were saying to God.  I am definately not a speaker... or a talker.  My ADHD gets in the way and like one time I was pointing out a horse to my husband and said
" LOOK! A...A... A  ...... dog!"
I like those verses on prayer being private.  I have enough trouble communicating vocally. In a group the prayer becomes chatter because I've focused on the people talking (and what I'm going to say when it is my turn).. Besides, many times I pray choppy, and often with just thoughts that I can't put into words... and words arent' necessary all the time either. I love that about prayer! :wink:

shibboleth

Annual Prayer Day
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 01:39:33 PM »

I think the most real prayers I ever prayed was help me Lord. I didn't know how God was going to help me or get me out of my trouble, I just knew I couldn't do it.
I belonged to a prayer group at a church years ago. There were only 3 or 4 of us who met on a weekly basis. I felt so proud that I was there. Now I think how Phariseeic my attitude was towards those who never came.
I would read prayer books and never pray because there were so many hoops to jump through before you could be acceptalbe to God. You had to do this or that before God would listen to you.
I'm glad God understands me even if noone else does.

Becky

Annual Prayer Day
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 01:48:14 PM »

I remember A.C.T.S (Acknowledge, confession, thanksgiving, supplication) ware the rules to pray by. Also, we had to remember to pray for the government, family, prayer group requests, the church, the "lost" etc etc.....

All of those things were the schoolmaster teaching how to pray like Jesus' prayer to his disciples.  

I just think it is amazing how I too would avoid praying because of time (to get all that stuff in) and not feeling like it was personal.

if I did pray it was so ritualistic, just like the dinner prayers my sister and I prayed when we were little:

"Dear God thank you for the trees, the grass and the animals. Amen."

That reminds me of how so meaningless and repetitive scheduled prayers can become.

rvhill

Annual Prayer Day
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 04:11:49 PM »

Quote from: Becky
I remember my church participating in that. We'd have a special service where we'd hold hands in a hugh circle and go from person to person... I was a teenager then and don't remember its impact on me..

I do remember the "meet you at the pole" day where us highschool (or any school) students, teachers, administrators would circle arount the flagpole before school and pray for things..

I have to admit that I would often be thinking about the "sinful" type of students that didn't participate and how I was better. I am ashamed  :oops:

Will I got kicked out of a church, when I was in high school. Instead of doing a group prayer they should do a Communion instead. Sure communion is a thing of milk, but it is in a way a group prayer.

eutychus

Annual Prayer Day
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 04:13:20 PM »

Quote from: rvhill

Will I got kicked out of a church, when I was in high school. Instead of doing a group prayer they should do a Communion instead. Sure communion is a thing of milk, but it is in a way a group prayer.

why is communion a milk thing? and what to you is communion??

inquiring mind what to know 8)
thanks
euty/chuckt

rvhill

Annual Prayer Day
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 04:23:32 PM »

Quote from: eutychus
Quote from: rvhill

why is communion a milk thing? and what to you is communion??

inquiring mind what to know 8)
thanks
euty/chuckt

It is a simple ritual, that symbolizes the union between Jesus the church and the participants. It a thing of milk because it something simple even a child can understand. If it is not at it heart a group pray then what is it.  I see it a lot like being The Lord's Prayer
Matthew 6:9-13
9 "This, then, is how you should pray: `Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.