bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Perhaps Its Time TO Quit Smokin!  (Read 4931 times)

jerreye

ellie77

Re: Perhaps Its Time TO Quit Smokin!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 09:54:32 AM »

jerreye
          Well someone has to reply. All the smokers find it so hard to quit. It is a severe addiction. Let us all pray that this burden  is lifted and we can be healed.
            Ellie.

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Perhaps Its Time TO Quit Smokin! Hmmmm
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 03:26:41 PM »

Folks,

I'm sure that I'll get some flack on my contribution here.
I smoked in the Air Force from 1956 until 1959 continuing into civilian life on the local police force until I got terribly sick and quit on Sept 2, 1965.   I smoked Pall Mall and other brands and used a pack a day or more.  (3285 packs)

At work in several places over the following 40 years I found that workers could refrain from nicotine for up to eight hours of their work shift IF no provision was made for smoke breaks.  I suppose the few who could not, just changed jobs, but I am sure that more than half retained their GOOD jobs and good salary by learning to control their habit.  Political correctness and "personal rights" has changed that now.

My sons age 37 and 41 can and do refrain from smoking in my home even when they stay overnight and that would be from about supper time until the next morning when they leave for work.

My point is that people can do what they make up their minds to do; WHEN it is important to them OR more important than their habit OR when someone in higher authority demands that they do it or suffer undesirable consequences such as losing their well paid job.

I have known several habitual drinkers, who being reared by a mother demanding courteous conduct, could refrain from beer or wine at a family picnic and not suffer any long term frustration or other consequences from drinking coffee or soft drinks.

I have known quite a few married men who could give up the pleasure of sex for several months of their wife's pregnancy/recovery and not stray outside their marital covenants. 
It is not rocket science folks, it is determination and love of something greater than self.

On topics such as this I like to remind myself that Jesus has spoken in the past with great love and with great candor.  Right is right and wrong is wrong.  If we are doing something to harm ourselves, the temple of God's spirit, or harm others who may have us as their only example of what Christ is like, then we need to overcome our human weaknesses, WITH God's help, and begin our life over again displaying a repentant attitude and seeking miraculous help from the one who loves us most.

Regards, bob

jerreye

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 06:52:15 PM »

Ellie, haha, I just thought that video was funny. The guy deserved it :)

Thanks, indianabob. I agree with you wholeheartedly. We need to stop being stumbling blocks to others. Every time I lit up in public, I would always be convicted by it. I always thought to myself, "Man, how can I possibly be an Elect, when I'm smoking in front of all of these people who may end up being Judged by ME!"

I'm not saying that I am one of the Elect. All I can do is hope that I will be. However, I think we need to believe that we ARE one of the Elect, or at least ACT like we are, in public AND in private.

I recently quit smoking after 16 years. Its been nearly a month now without even a drag. My wife and I have our first kid on the way and I think 16 years is way too long to smoke those darn things anyway! I am trusting in God that quitting this time will stick!

May God help all those who smoke in this forum to quit and to be healed!

Matt

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 01:13:50 PM »

It is not rocket science folks, it is determination and love of something greater than self.

So true, when I have a young Marine that tells me that he "can't" do something, I usually do not agree with him.
 For example, "I can't do this because ..."  I say, "I bet if they were giving away $100 bills, you would find a way". 
It is all about motivation and desire. 
I quit smoking because I truly hated it and wanted to stop.  It was physiologically very difficult, but I wanted to stop more than my body needed the fix. 
My prayers go out to those who are wanting to stop!

Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.