bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spelling Bee  (Read 7294 times)

Becky

Spelling Bee
« on: May 04, 2006, 02:37:36 PM »

Ok this is really off topic but I wanted to discuss with others their pet peeves.

One of mine is spelling... It probably has to do with the fact that when I have spelled words wrong, I have had them pointed out to me and it embarassed me.  Now, I always spell those words right..

My pet peeve is the incorrect spelling of LOSER: (As in "he will not lose his salvation)

Many many people spell it LOOSER
Also: LOOSE
As in my tooth is LOOSE.

The reason why I always notice this word spelled wrong is because of a trip to a Spaghetti restaurant with the church youth group in middle school.  A guy friend got a take home box and I wrote "LOOSER" on it as a dumb kid joke (I was honestly trying to be funny :(  ) Everyone laughed at me and wouldn't let that spelling mistake go...... gee, my youth group was really not nice   :cry:

dogcombat

Spelling Bee
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 04:50:24 PM »

My spelling peeve was to use a word in a sentence.  For example the word "around"

A-R-O-U-N-D

Sentence

"Around ball came bouncing to my door."

(yawn)

Ches

rvhill

Spelling Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 04:56:10 PM »

spelling, I hate spelling :!:

sparkyman481

Spelling Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 06:46:38 PM »

Helo Becky,

Ive nerve had a problim with spellin but my pet peeve is the way people prononce words. :lol:  :lol:

Jason C.

Spelling Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 02:55:00 AM »

Coincidentally, the word "misspelled" ranks at the top of the list of words that people most commonly misspell!! Tis true. My personal peeve: when people use a double negative in their speech, i.e. "I ain't never......." But the other day I actually heard a country song in which there was a TRIPLE negative! The lyric: "There aint nothing not affected........." I screamed for mercy.....

- Jason

Becky

Spelling Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 09:28:16 AM »

country songs are great with misusing the English language!  It's great!

jennifer

Spelling Errors
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 03:09:12 PM »

Here's the one that makes me cringe:  Deceive (Correct spelling)
                                                        Decieve (Incorrect spelling)

Jennifer

Becky

Spelling Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 03:12:35 PM »

yes!  That's like accounts receivables... i always got that wrong until i had to get it right in the workplace!

Patrick

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Spelling Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 09:28:52 PM »

My English/Technical Writing professor, in college, was an ex-Marine (African American); Mr. Fuller [gunny].

In High School, I played dumb so I could take the "Special Education" classes. I got the basics down, but had no desire to excel in my education (except for welding class and shop class, and I was racing motorcycles also).

I was warned about Mr. Fuller; I procrastinated registration and had no choice but to sign up for his class. I signed up for all of his classes after I survived English 101. It was a very challenging time and I had so much respect for that man. He did not play favorites to anyone. Spelling quizzes every Friday and lots of writing. You worked in his class.

In my opinion, the whole i before e except after c and sometimes t, and all the other "laws" that go with our lanquage, is crazy.
Spelling is not a pet peeve of mine; I do notice incorrect spelling and grammer [and I still have to look up stuff because I doubt my spelling]. I try not to have "pet peeves", but in my present carnal state, it's rude people.

Falconn003

Spelling Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 03:04:36 AM »

Any know how to remove whiteout from the moniter ???  :wink:

Rodger

gmik

spelling bee
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 03:30:14 PM »

Rodger, I think there is a little arrow key that actually removes a spelling boo boo!
 :D

As a teacher I cringe at the misspelled words, so I just assume you all know HOW to spell as you had great teachers, but it is your TYPING that is the problem!

Pet Peeve:  brung!!!!!!!!!!  oh yeah: We was!!!!!!  and, and: Me & her or me and him, oh let me think, ummmm: gee there are too many...(don't get me going).....

(think fingernails down a chalkboard)

SandyFla

Spelling Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 05:08:17 PM »

These things don't really bother me, but I'm not crazy about how people write "a lot" as one word, as in "alot." I think it probably started when someone missed hitting the space bar.

One of my biggest pet peeves about written language isn't particularly about spelling, but punctuation--when people put commas and periods outside the quotation marks. The only times punctuation belongs out there are:

1. The quotation is rephrased in a question, such as: Did you hear them say, "I don't want to go"?

2. The part in quotations is at the end of a compound sentence, such as: He said, "I don't think so"; she said, "I do."

Pencils down ... English lesson over.

Sandy

Daniel

Spelling Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 05:45:33 PM »

I failed English thats my excuse, in fact I failed out of highschool badly :lol: A D minus would have "passed me" but I could not even get THAT. If they could not teach me proper punctuation, I'm convinced no one else can :lol:

I'm a pretty sad case, I might be one who would irk you I don't mean to. If you could have it your heart to overlook "this" in my particular case that would be kind of you Sandy :D

I know I won't be measuring up in that regard, guilty as charged :oops:

Daniel

SandyFla

Spelling Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 06:08:06 PM »

Hey Daniel,

Not a problem!  :) I wasn't referring to you in particular in my post. In fact, I don't recall reading anything in your posts that prompted me to write mine. It's just a general thing with me. But it's not my fault ... I was a copy editor at a newspaper and am doing similar work these days, so I notice all these little things more than most people. Looking for typos and wrong punctuation is part of my full-time job, so it naturally carries over to the rest of my day.

However, you should see some of the doozies that I've typed in the past!  :lol: It's a good thing I look them over before the boss sees them ... but then, he's good-natured and has gotten a kick out of some of the "Freudian slips" that I've turned in to him!

None of us is perfect -- not even me!   :shock:  :lol:

Sandy

Daniel

Spelling Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 06:24:47 PM »

Whew, thank God Sandy :lol:  I thought, "man, I could never jump through those kinds of hoops for her" :lol:

The implications of "be thou perfect as I am perfect" can't possibly include "punctuation" or I'm so screwed Sandy :lol: Well, just so you know I am aware that I don't stand a chance in EVER being an editor :lol:  Although I coulld hire you to edit me, I think I need one :lol:

Whats your hourly rate? :lol:

Daniel

SandyFla

Spelling Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 11:35:09 AM »

Nah, you're fine, Daniel!   :P  As long as I can make sense of what you're saying, it's OK. Mistakes in grammar and punctuation don't really bother me; I just can't help but notice them.

There are all kinds of people posting online. Some of them are highly intelligent but can't spell worth a darn!  :lol:  We all have our strengths and weaknesses, and God loves us all equally. After all, HE'S the One who made us the way we are! So I guess if I had to get upset at someone, it would be Him ... and I certainly don't have the right to do that.

Sandy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.