bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Idol of the heart  (Read 4693 times)

Martinez

Idol of the heart
« on: February 16, 2008, 04:36:52 AM »

I have just started reading through the Lake of fire series again and I found sound which I found a little disturbing.

"For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies" (Mat. 15:19).

Notice it: "And when the woman saw [in her heart] that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eye [in her heart], and a tree to be desired [in her heart] to make one wise [an idol of the heart], she took [’For out of the heart proceed ... thefts...’] of the fruit thereof, and did eat" (Gen. 3:6).

Now the thing I found disturbing is when Eve saw that the fruit was desireable to make one wise that that was and idol of the heart.

So what is the difference between it being pleasing to God if you ask for wisdom and it being an idol of the heart?

I know I certainly desire wisdom!

psalmsinger

Re: Idol of the heart
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 09:38:33 AM »

Martinez,
If you are desiring the things of God, for instance His wisdom, His truth, His love, His faith, His obedience, it is not a bad thing.  Eve was desiring the wisdom of the carnal heart and of the world......all that is vanity just as you said:)

rest in the Lord,

Barbara

I have just started reading through the Lake of fire series again and I found sound which I found a little disturbing.

"For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies" (Mat. 15:19).

Notice it: "And when the woman saw [in her heart] that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eye [in her heart], and a tree to be desired [in her heart] to make one wise [an idol of the heart], she took [’For out of the heart proceed ... thefts...’] of the fruit thereof, and did eat" (Gen. 3:6).

Now the thing I found disturbing is when Eve saw that the fruit was desireable to make one wise that that was and idol of the heart.

So what is the difference between it being pleasing to God if you ask for wisdom and it being an idol of the heart?

I know I certainly desire wisdom!

rjsurfs

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 09:40:53 AM »

Hello Matinez,

If you just read a little further down you see that Ray quotes:

"Love not the world, neither the things are are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is NOT IN HIM.  For [here's the reason why] ALL that is in the world, [1] the LUST OF THE FLESH, and [2] the LUST OF THE EYES, and [3] the PRIDE OF LIFE, is not of the Father, but is of the world" (I John 2:15-16).

They had been commanded NOT to eat of the Tree.  Her carnal mind was at enmity with God.

Mat 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

She was not seeking God's law first... but her own carnal desire.  Idol worship... Idol of the Heart.

Rom 8:7  Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

The truth can be disturbing... if you seek wisdom, keep studying and asking God for understanding.  Ray has it all backed up by scriptures. 

Bobby

Martinez

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 08:03:27 PM »

Thanks guys!

that clears that up nicely for me!

cheers!

psalmsinger

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 08:39:22 AM »

Martinez,

I was reading this last night and thought of you.  This is great comfort from our brother, James.  I like what he says about patience working in us.  I think of all the times that God has taught me patience through trials and tempations.  It is not pleasant to think what other hard experiences may be in store for me through those "be patient, Barbara" lessons ;D  Certainly not "perfect and entire, wanting nothing", yet.

James 1:2-7
2   My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
3   Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
4   But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
5   If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
6   But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
7   For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
(KJV)

Rest in the Lord...........wait patiently for Him,

Barbara
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.