bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OK----yet another question/ramble!  (Read 4947 times)

leeney

OK----yet another question/ramble!
« on: May 05, 2006, 10:20:02 AM »

Ok gang,

I have 2 teenagers.  I have been reading the Bible to them since they were old enough to listen.  Five days a week/one chapter a day.  Since they have grown some, I also have pamphlets about sex, drugs, dealing with people in every day life, etc.  I try to relate things to them as they are living right now.  

We have also gone to a church since they were small---I say 'a church' because I moved around a lot--Methodist, Presbyterian, Episcopal, Baptist, United Church of Christ, Salvation Army.  I never made it to the Catholic Church---they just scared me to much!  hee.  Anyway, I was never happy anywhere; just never saw the Truth being taught.  And as the years passed it got worse, until 3 years ago I just quit churches altogether.  But now, my kids are suffering; they have no support system other than myself and hubby, which at the moment doesn't seem to be enough.  I'm scared.  There is so much crap out there that these kids have to deal with these days.  Last night I sat down to read to them, and my son became angry; told me this stuff was so boring, and it had nothing to do with his life.  Gosh, I had to fight back the tears.

What should I do?  How do I help him know that the Bible and God have EVERYTHING to do with his life?  Have any of you ever been at this point with your kids?  I am thinking about just taking Ray's papers, one at a time, and reading these to them.  I know they are semi-adults now, so once I just gave them the articles and asked them to read on their own; they didn't do it.

Any help/ideas from you guys would be so appreciated.

leeney

hart4god

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 10:58:42 AM »

Hi,

Hey I am the mom of 4 kids and 2 were teens and 2 are teens and I FEEL YOUR PAIN!  :shock:

We also have been in 13 churches over their lifetimes! and we did homeschool them all 'till I put my youngest into an institutional school this year.

Teens need to know the reality of the Living God more than they need to have words hurled at them. Teens are all about experience.  It might be a good idea to have them start seeing where God is at work in their lives-where He has anwered their prayers, displayed His love and His Glory to them personally. It might be good if you shared with them the times He has made His Truth a living reality to you.

Like you- we have had moring Bible readings for many. many, years and then that phase faded away as it became more of a day to day relationship - I would say, like discipling them more than simply teaching them. I never ridicule their outrageous questions or comments- it is part of their process of knowing the Truth. I have suffered with them as they have made very poor choices and suffered many consequences. It takes patience and a long term view! God has been with us all through it all. this is not to say that I have not cried rivers of tears, but sorrow passes.

And do no dismay at their actions or words against the Lord- They are Loved by Him more than you can ever love them! and He will accomplish all that concerns them and much more. He will be Faithful even when you are not able to be. He has proven Himself so many times when I lost all my faith-because He is ALL in ALL.

Hope this encourages you.
love,
hart4god

Harryfeat

Re: OK----yet another question/ramble!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 12:18:53 PM »

Quote from: leeney
Ok gang,

I have 2 teenagers.  I have been reading the Bible to them since they were old enough to listen.  Five days a week/one chapter a day.  Since they have grown some, I also have pamphlets about sex, drugs, dealing with people in every day life, etc.  I try to relate things to them as they are living right now.  

leeney

Hello Leeney,

I guess you have read quite a bit to them.  You have certainly had enough time to read the entire new testament, so you are probably rereading some.

I can  understand the boredom of having to sit through the bible read to me.  What I didn't know is what exactly you are reading and whether you  allow them read to you.  Is it a family participation kind of thing or a sit here and listen like in church?

You said that you have assigned reading they have not done.  Try giving them something to read and sit with them while they do it. Then. after they finish reading,  discuss any questions and explain how it affects you if they have little to relate.

It has to be an interactive process now that they are young adults.  Reading to them is almost like preaching. It is something forced on them and they can easily turn off their attention.

Teenagers as you are  well  experiencing are in a rebellious state of change where the parents "get dumber and dumber until they can no longer truly understand"  .  It is amazing how smart you will become once you children grow past their teenage years.  I once saw a job placement poster that made me chuckle.  It said, "Hire a teenager while they still know everything."

Seriously though, you child's boredom is completely understandable to me. Don't beat yourself up over it.  Find another way like hart4 has.  It is up to you to help him to relate the messages from the bible to daily life.   If you can make the themes from the bible into a "discussion" and family function, you might see better acceptance and understanding.

It sounds simple but maybe it's not really so hard to take daily events and discuss how they relate to Christ's doctrine.  It's time for your children to start giving you a lot of feedback on how they think and  what they believe in.  Lots of food for discussion there.

I hope that you can be successful in helping your children in their spiritual growth and understanding.  It's a daunting task at best.

feat

leeney

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 11:44:40 AM »

Thanks, guys.  Right now I'm desperate.  What I'm doing now is sure not working, and I don't want to lose them!

I plan to implement everything you all have said here.  My kids are really good people.  But I know how easy it is to be led estray ANY time, and especially at their tender years.

Thanks!
leeney

dogcombat

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 01:32:57 PM »

Hi leeney,

I don't think you're losing them.  I think what's happening, is that God has them at a point where He's showing them (as well as you perhaps) how we all leave our first love.  I don't want to remember my rebellious teen/young adult years.  If you've been there, you know.  That's the point where it's "WHO CARES ABOUT THE BIBLE AND GODS WORD..etc", because we think, at that stage of life, we know it all.  I think as you pray for them, ask the Lord to reveal Himself to them based on discussion you've already had.  

All you can do is plant those seeds of the Word, it's Jesus' job to harvest them.  After all we must lose our lives in order to find them.

Just some thoughts, God be with you

Ches

JoshuaDavid

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 02:22:17 PM »

Some have to be burned a little before they can be broken to pieces by the Word and rebuilt. Others it will grind to powder. It sounds as if you brought them to the Truth and did your job as a godly parent. Stay strong and support them, but don't pound on them. Trust God and pray. The faith is the gold and the world is the fire. Now their trying begins... May peace be unto you and your household.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.