bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greek Eternal  (Read 5677 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Greek Eternal
« on: May 05, 2006, 01:41:01 PM »

Hi Ray,

From what I understand, you're saying that there is no eternal, eternity, forever, everlasting, etc. That is very true as I have checked my Greek dictionaries.

I have one question briefly,  I like to show you about Hebrews 10:12 with three translations:

KJV-

"But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever , sat down on the right hand of God"

Rotherham's Emphasized Bible-

"But this priest having offered one sacrifice for sins evermore sat down on the right hand of God"

Concordant Literal Version-

":Yet This One, when offering one sacrifice for the sake of sins, is seated into to a finality in at the right hand of God"

For ever, evermore and finality for Greek word is dienekes. I looked Greek dictionaries of dienekes mean 'continuance', 'always', 'forever'. And I looked up Interlinear Scripture Analyzer mean 'finality', 'thru-carry'. I would  say CLT is correct translated to 'finality'? Or is  'finality' is similar as 'forever', but Greek never mean 'forever'?

Thanks and God be with you,

Brett

"Deaf"

P.S. I add (deaf) under my name is because other man has same name as mine in bible-truth forum, so I rather put (deaf) so you know who I am.

Dear Brett:

Usage is the best way to define a word. If you will back up to the first verse of Heb. 10, you will read this: "For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year CONTINUALLY make the comers thereunto perfect."

Now then, notice that those sacrifices were offered year by year. Was it year by year FOREVER?  Year by year ETERNALLY?  Year by year EVERMORE?  NO!  It was year by year "CONTINUALLY." The word translated continually is the same Greek word [dienekes] used in verse 12.  The priesthood of the Old Covenant is GONE, and so the sacrifices did not continue "eternally" at all, did they? The Concordant Translation is correct.

God be with you,

Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.