bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hermeneutics  (Read 3937 times)

phazel

Hermeneutics
« on: February 25, 2008, 05:35:04 PM »

I see this get thrown around a lot bY christians when you have a view they disagree with, they will pull this out and say that since I do not follow an established rule of biblical interpretation then I couldn't possibly learn what the bible really means.

Well, by the dictionary

Hermeneutics

1. the science of interpretation, esp. of the Scriptures. 
2. the branch of theology that deals with the principles of Biblical exegesis. 

Possibly more accurate as it applies to theory

The theory and methodology of interpretation, especially of scriptural text.

I propose to change the #1 defintion of  Hermeneutics

Term used when you cannot defend your viewpoint with scripture and will not admit it.

:)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 05:44:07 PM by phazel »

David

Re: Hermeneutics
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 06:09:23 PM »

Great stuff Phazel. The very concept of this so called science denies 2 Peter 1:20.

Kat

Re: Hermeneutics
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 11:36:55 PM »

Hi Phazel,

Yes they have got understanding the Bible down to a science, they know how to keep things in context and the hermeneutics behind it.  With someone who is steeped in this kind of understanding of the Bible, I think their mind is closed, so you simple can not reason with them.  Only when God removes the scales from their blind eyes will they begin to see.

Here is an email where Ray mentions how they use hermeneutics. 

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3703.0.html ------

> Ray,
    >
    > I saw this posting on the internet and I was wondering what you thought
    > of it:
    >
    >
    > Bill

(Article refuting universal salvation)

Dear Bill:
If you don't understand the mind of a Christian you will never understand why people like me do not usually debate them.  Let's say that they bring up a point (about anything) and you have Scripture that speaks directly to this point. Can you quote that Scripture to a Christian to make your point? NO, no you can't. Why is that? Because the second you quote it (according to them) you TOOK IT OUT OF CONTEXT. And to them, no Scripture is true "out of context."  "God is love" (I John 4:8), but ONLY IN THE CONTEXT OF I John 4:8. You cannot just quote a Scripture and believe that it is a statement of fact or statement of eternal truth. They won't hear of it.  But don't they quote Scripture to support their views. Yes, of course they do, but they use them IN CONTEXT.  Who determines whether their use is in context and your use is not in context?  Why THEY DO, of course, and that is because they understand hermeneutics and you don't. See the difference?  I don't either, but that's just the way it is. If you can corner a snake in a briar patch, then you can debate a Christian with the Scriptures.

God be with you,
Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.