bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: supernatural stuff  (Read 5588 times)

eirinikos

supernatural stuff
« on: February 28, 2008, 07:03:32 PM »

Hi

Im just wondering if anyone here experiences visions, or revelations of any kind.

I currently don't, but I have had a nervous breakdown and came close to having another one a few months ago because I was trying to think too deeply about spiritual things.. so much so it freaked me out and disconnected me from every day life and I found myself so dismally depressed to the point of physical pain in my chest...

I finally realized to my benefit that the mind makes things up when we try to grasp at things that the mind can't process. On top of that, I believe I've had dark forces at work in my life. I've been renouncing every form of witchcraft I've ever become involved with, threw away all kinds of music and books, anointed my house, asked for prayer from everyone I could think of...  and still had to fight with everything in me to get over the severe panic and anxiety attacks.

Not too long after I started doing that, I had a dream that my front door was being pulled open by an invisible force, and I grabbed the doorknob and was pulling back on it as hard as I could. I woke up and figured it might mean that they were trying to get back into my house.

I have always desired to have visions and spiritual revelation, but now, years after I've messed my mind up with drugs (in the past) and freaked myself all out with ideas of higher dimensions and invisible realities.. I have found myself absolutely terrified of the whole concept.

So.. Im wondering what anyone else has to say about it.

Martinez

Re: supernatural stuff
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 07:15:49 PM »

I don't think God will give you those things until He gets you cleaned up first.
It is God who has bought you to this place and God who will take you out of it so then you will know that it is by His power and not your own that you have these dreams and revelations.

If He gave them to you now, what would you do with them?

Can you see what I'm saying here?

musicman

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »

If you were taking the kinds of drugs that it sounds like, no wonder you had these visions.  I'm not judging but I think it's best that you stay the course of detox.  Desire to know truth, only.

eirinikos

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 07:40:17 PM »

I never had "visions" on drugs.. just mind bending delusion. I have not used drugs in a long time. I just mentioned that in the past I had some bad experiences with them when I was not seeking God, but I have since denounced all that stuff.

The subtle effect they have on the psyche, however, lingers on and on.

And you're right, I know I'm in the middle of a cleaning phase.

I didn't start the thread to talk about drugs and how they're bad.. I just mentioned that its a stain on my past. I'm more interested in what people here are experiencing in God.

David

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 07:44:10 PM »

The only supernatural experience I can say I have ever had is receiving the Holy Spirit. This was by no means a physical experience. I've seen many people both in the flesh and on TV convulsing on the floor, running around like a headless chicken making strange noises, babbling in unintelligible language etc, all claiming to have received the Holy spirit. I believe in my heart that the vast majority of these physical outward exhibitions are totally fraudulent at best, and utterly wicked in intent and nature.
I would describe my experience as nothing physical, and nothing that I even perceived straight away. There just comes a time when you just know the truth of God, and begin to unravel the mysteries of His Word, and are able to separate the truth from lies. It happens in very small increments, only when God is ready to reveal His truth to us.
I would say that what you have experienced is the medical/chemical effects of drug abuse, and exposure to influential material that can easily pervert even the most resistant to such things.
Jesus Christ told us to pray that God "Not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil" for a reason. Christ knows the hearts and minds of men better than any of us know ourselves. He knows that we cannot resist temptation or evil without Him, its impossible.  
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 07:47:44 PM by David »

LittleBear

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 11:12:24 AM »

Hi Peaceful!

I had some scary dreams like you described, in the past, when I was younger. Not lately though. If you've turned away from all that stuff, leave it in the past and move on. This is just my opinion, because I'm no expert. I have never had any visions, and am somewhat sceptical of anyone telling me about visions. Remember that God is in charge of your life. I figure that God puts enough challenges in our lives to keep us busy and overcoming, to strengthen us and conform us to His image. Rest and trust in Him, and be Eirinikos.

Kat

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 12:18:36 PM »

Hi Eirinikos,

I've never had any visions or dreams that I believe had in supernatural meaning. 
I spent most of my life seeking God to some extent.  I was a dedicated church goer for many years thinking they would show me God.  What I realize now is that most of my life I was trying to find God by physical means, somehow by MY physical efforts I would find Him.  It was not until God open my spiritual eyes that I knew God at all. 
Now with spiritual eyes, any understanding that I may have, has not come through signs and wonders.  I thinking wanting to know and understand God by dreams and visions, now wouldn't that be the easy way to receive understanding, for it to just drop in your lap so to speak?   
What I have found is it takes a lot of effort, by staying in the Word and by that I mean taking the time and studying and contemplating on it.  I have had great revelations and received things that are profound to my understand, but it was through studying and digging for it in the Scriptures.  My personal experience has been that the more I'm in the Word the more I receive.  And if I stay out of the Word for even a day, I feel myself drifting away from God. 

My advice to anybody would be read and study all of the articles on the BT site.  That will give you a great deal of basic understanding and you will also learn from Ray many fundamental truths about studying God Word.  As you build up your knowledge this way the Scripture will begin to open up to you. 
Never before in my life have I understood the Scriptures, I always felt reading them was futile, but now it is wonderful to see the Spirit behind the words.

Here is an email where Ray spoke on this.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3926.0.html ----------

Dear BH:

The more you understand God's Truths, the more you will be able to explain them to others. We don't expect that people will casually read the material on our site and become expert teachers on the subject in short order. It takes many years of study AND MEDITATION to fully comprehend even the basic of the doctrines of Christ. I meditate virtually all of the time. I THINK about the Word of God, day and night. And in my meditation, God gives me flashes of spiritual insight, as He did just minutes ago while I was sitting in my bedroom. A simple truth, yet very profound. One that I have never heard expounded by anyone in my life. Maybe I will share this one at our Nashville Conference.

One thing you can do, is as you read a doctrinal paper, when you come to what is a profound thought and a profound Scripture regarding it, WRITE IT DOWN or at least make a margin notation in your Bible. These will become key Scriptures for you as you grow in grace and knowledge. And when the need arises, you will be able to quote the Scripture, find it in the Bible,and explain the concept to others. Don't try to memorize all the facts and all the Scriptures, not even I can do that with my own writings.

God be with you,
    Ray

Martinez

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 08:23:29 PM »

I've had a couple of things happen.

A few years ago I was just walking along when I closed my eyes and saw my mum contorted in pain, naked against a black background.
I quickly opened my eyes, said some choice words shook my head thinking nothing of it except why on earth was I seeing that?

A couple of days later We drove down to Sydney and I gave my mum a call but there was no answer, so I called my sister who informed me that my Mother was in hospital with a bad back.
She had been in there for a couple of days, and when it had happened she was laying on the bathroom floor naked.
the Ambulance had to be called and powerfull painkiller administered to move her.

coincidence?

Another thing that happened was that my wife and I were praying together (not a very common occurrence) when out of frustration I asked God if He could make me like Daniel so that everything would prosper in my hand as well (rather than completely fail everything all the time).
My wife then said "you will be like Daniel" or words to that effect, which isn't something my wife has anything to do with.
Years later after coming to the knowledge of the truth (not completely yet) and not having things change at all as far as me screwing things up, I finally realise that He didn't mean it in the worldly sense but in the sense that Daniel is the chosen spiritually in scripture.

I was not meant to understand till now!

Jackie Lee

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 10:34:58 PM »

We had sold our house in 2,000 back when the housing market was booming, I really became scared cause every house we had been interested in was already sold or an offer.
I said I can't handle this God and the thought came to me *Be still and know that I am God*
The next day a house deal fell through and we were able to purchase this home.
Just the other night I was praying, why am I not getting this why can't I catch on like others, the thought came to me read proverbs so I am reading and rereading proverbs.
This is about as scary as it gets for me that I can think of at the moment. :)

MSenter

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 12:57:05 AM »

Hi, I can really relate to your situation as I have BEEN through some of the same things as you describe! I have abused drugs and alcohol in the past and when I decided to quit these things, my mind played all sorts of tricks on me, like panic attacks, anxiety attacks, voices in my head, ect ect ect. I went to my doctor and was honest about my past practices, I learned that all the partying that I did in my past left me with a chemical imbalance in my brain. After some time under a doctors care I was put on a perscription that HELPS restore the chemical imbalance (dopimine) in the brain. Thats not all! I went to AA meetings which helped me out spiritualy ( The AA Big Book came from the Holy Bible ) AA's roots came from, 1 Corinthians 13, The Book of James and The Sermon on the Mount. YOU ARE NOT ALONE DUDE! But the power of prayer is the "BEST MEDICINE" Hope this helps you! God Bless You! Mark.

Robin

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 02:03:15 AM »

Hi eirinikos,

All the symptoms you describe are symptoms of General Anxiety disorder or Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). I can tell you that you are not going through anything that I haven't been through as far as your symptoms. I can tell you with confidence that this is all in God's plan and purpose for your life. I know it can be a terrifying experience.

There were events that caused my anxiety and severe panic. I buried those past events so deep that they were no longer in my memory, but God knew they were there and in his time he revealed them and brought healing. I did not have Bible Truths and everything God taught me at that time was through revelation. Learning the truth though revelation was also terrifying. My whole life and everything I believed changed within 5 years. The world as I knew it got pulled out from under me. I was in a new place and no one spoke my language. The hidden lies that held me captive were exposed and replaced with the truth that God is sovereign. I never had another panic attack after that.

My thinking process is very deep and complex and I have a very hard time explaining to anyone with words what I believe or how I learned it. I have to break everything down in tiny pieces and look at each piece before it is put back together in a way I can understand it. Reading Ray's papers made that so much faster for me. He really breaks it down.

I know that all the circumstances and experience of evil in my life were and are designed by God to prepare me to receive and "grasp" the truth. Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. I don't believe we should seek visions or revelation, but seek to know God and be known by God. It is all in him. I can think until it hurts and it gets me nowhere unless it is in God's time. The little bit that God taught me through revelation is all in Ray's papers and there is much, much more. We don't have to think until it hurts. God is always working in our lives even when we are struggling and groping in the dark.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 02:52:36 AM »

I can relate to the supernatural stuff as you call it  eirinikos  and not through drugs. I have never taken any except under prescription for medicinal reasons but I have experienced visions, dreams and messages that I believe are all in the Plan of God for me to have experienced. How I responded to them has been the learning curve. :D

The following Scripture has been a great Divine influence on my heart as to how to navigate my way through such experiences. 

When the people asked Jesus what they were to do that they could be working the works of God and to be carrying out what God requires, Jesus answered them John 6 : 29 This is the work that God asks of you: that you believe in the One Whom He has sent.

Paul also received supernatural experiences. Joseph also had dreams that were supernaturally directing his decisions to marry or put Mary away because she was pregnant, and not by him!  I do not see anything wrong if our supernatural experiences do not sway us away from our work which is as Jesus said, to believe HIM.  :) The temptations are  to become superstitious or fearful. God knows how to communicate to us and to get His message across. He decides also where and when we receive understanding and when He opens our minds to His revelations. That is not what we need to try to do. God is Sovereign.  The Church teaches us fear and works. Christ teaches us us to love and perfect love casts out fear.

Acts 16 : 31 Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, give yourself up to Him, take yourself out of your own keeping and entrust yourself into His keeping, and you will be saved.

Rom 8 : 15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Everyday
and everything IS a supernatural experience! :) ;D God is the One Who Is Creating our circumstances! 8) HE IS THE SOVEREIGN ONE. :)

Peace be to you

Arcturus :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 02:56:09 AM by Arcturus »

joyful1

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 05:29:16 AM »

:D Hi Eirinikos!
"Fear Not!"
:) The Father has it ALL under control....
Remember King Saul....if you go looking for a ghost....chances are...you're gonna see a ghost! I saw ghosts and aliens and demons for the better part of my life, having weird experiences and mostly living my whole life in FEAR!! Then I came to know that they are all just manifestations of messages....and the WORD of God is in authority over them....so...forget about them. I honestly believe now, my friend, that the fear factor is what keeps weird stuff happening. The disciples thought they were seeing a ghost...but Jesus told them "fear not, it is I!"  :) Trust in Him!

Matthew 14:25

25During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear.

27But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."

Joyce :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.