bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Parables  (Read 5570 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Parables
« on: May 05, 2006, 10:36:28 PM »

Dear Ray, I humbly ask:

You stated in a recent email that, "Jesus said He came to set the members of a family against one another....  and your real enemies will be 'those of your own household'."  This is so profound.  I am now experienceing continual conflict with my wife over my acceptance of these precious truths.  My questions are these:  Is Matthew 10:34-36. a parable?  If it isn't, would'nt Matthew 9:37,38. be a parable?  You stated that Jesus spoke to the 'masses' in parables, but didn't He also speak privately, to His twelve disciples, this way.  Sure sounds like it.  So, are these scriptures that I mentioned really to be taken literally?  Is this a caveat for Jesus's twelve disciples and the "is, was and will be, few chosen?"

God bless,

Harry.  
Dear Harry:
In Matt. 39 Jesus is commenting on the many many people who need to be harvested. He states however, that it requires "laborours" to harvest these souls. This is indeed a parable. Jesus is not speaking of harvesting crops, but people.
In the next chapter, Jesus is speaking to His twelve apostles only, alone. The Scripture you reference is a quotation from the Old Testament, and does not necessarily need to be a parable, although it does have spiritual meaning.  You need to read my new post on "Twelve Truths to Understand Scripture" which covers how Christ taught in public and in private. Most of Christ's teaching in private to His disciples was also in parables (John 16:25).
God be with you,
Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.