bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite Shows & Movies  (Read 16504 times)

Samson

Favorite Shows & Movies
« on: March 03, 2008, 11:46:11 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I wonder if any of you would like to share their favorite T.V. Shows and Movies( Of the past and of the present). Mine are as follows: MOVIES---  Brubaker, with Robert Redford; The Star War Movies, Remember The Titans, with Denzel Washington; Rudy, with Sean Astin; Lean On Me, with Morgan Freemen; Freedom Writers, with Hillary Swank; An Officer and a Gentlemen, with Lou Gossett Jr; A Few Good Men, with Tom Cruise; The Time Machine(both versions); The Robe, with Richard Burton; The Ten Commandments; All X-Men Movies; ( These are just some of my favorites)

Television Shows----   Cold Case, Criminal Minds, Law & Order(SVU), The Incredible Hulk, with Bill Bixby; Star Trek(original series); Little House on the Prarie; Bones, House, The Three Stooges(ok no wise comments), Superman(the original with George Reeves), Night Gallery, The Outer Limits, The Twilight Zone, & Time Tunnel.

Your Brother, Samson. 

Stevernator

Re: Favorite Shows & Movies
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 01:14:10 AM »

TV - The Wire (EXCELLENT fictional show about urban decay in Baltimore from many perspectives), House MD, The O.C. (my family makes fun of me for this but I liked it, kind of dramatic though), Sopranos, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, History Channel, LOST
Movies - Lord of the Rings, Shawshank Redemption, Narc, Fight Club, Training Day, Requiem for a Dream, Battle Royale, Brother, 300, Legend of Drunken Master, Gladiator

I realize that thought life (ie idols) is important so I am trying to control some of the things I watch now though.
A lot of these shows and movies are just too dark or violent.

Stevernator

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 02:31:32 AM »

hehe, i understand completely.

Martinez

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 04:39:20 AM »

There are only 2 regular shows on TV worthy of acceptance and they are Mythbusters and Top Gear!

The Shawshank redemption is the greatest movie of all time!

Samson

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 10:45:23 AM »

Hello Martinez and Stevernator,

Yes, The Shawshank Redemption, I forgot to include that, I have a copy of that, what a happy ending, at least for Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman. At a prison in New Jersey, two men actually duplicated the escape techniques from that movie approximately 1 month ago, one of them made it to Mexico, but was shortly apprehended, the other guy got hurt escaping and hid locally for a short time and was captured.  Peace to you, Samson.

P.S. No offense taken Ricky, since being at BT, I don't watch as much as I used to and I do like to watch Sports, unfortunately all my teams are lousy, except the Mets. Insofar as whats' "real and true", their is so much deceit and misrepresentation going on out their in Sports, News, etc, who knows what to accept as truth, until recently I believed that Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone, but found out he stole the idea from someone else.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 03:50:36 PM »

I very seldom watch any TV and this applies to movies too. When on the odd occasion I sit down to watch a movie, I often regret having wasted the time to do so!

I enjoyed the Golden Compass. "there is no such thing as free will" was stated towards the end of this movie! I appreciate the talent that goes into some of the animated movies and the visual effects that are used to enhance entertainment.

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

David

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 05:54:00 PM »

I rarely watch TV, haven't done for years. I watch question time when its on, sometimes the 10 oclock news, thats it. BTW, Question time is a show hosted by David Dimbleby. He has a bunch of politicians, often a cabinet member and they answer prepaired questions from a live audience.
I watch movies quite a lot. My favourites are the Passion, Gladiator, the Alien movies, Bram Stokers Dracula, Shawshank, Davinci Code, Gandhi, some of the Rocky movies, Heat, to name just a few.

cherokee

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 06:25:50 PM »

I would have to say my favorite TV shows would be Mash, Walker Texas Ranger and Country Fried Home Videos. The movies would have to be Where the Red Fern Grows and any John Wayne Western.

Suzie

ellie77

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 05:50:52 AM »

Hey everyone.... I kind of cringe at all the carnal stuff I have watched over the years. Real or not...news can be terrible...The churches sent out warnings to everyone here not to watch the golden compass as it had a witch in it...there was even an article in the church news in the paper...No Ricky you are not weird but I think we might be all peculiar.....Keeping my eyes on all that is good and pure and beautiful  in everything is a challenge....I also like some of the shows mentioned.Just love the Lord of The Rings..but not a God in sight.....Ellie

Kat

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 11:43:44 AM »

Well I have a little different take on TV viewing then some of you do, maybe it's just me justifying it   ;)  But I find watching TV movies as a study in human behavior.  Also my family likes to watch TV, so I will take the time to watch something with them and we actually share out time together talking about a show.  The whole family got into watching the TV series 'LOST' and trying to figure out the mystery.

I like watching movies from by gone eras, PBS has a movies show on Sun. night(Masterpiece Theater) that I really like, I feel I learn a bit about that time in history.  I know they probably don't get a lot of the history stuff right, but it gets me an idea of it.

I love to watch animal and nature shows, mostly documentaries, like 'Nature' on PBS and Aniamal Planet, but some movies too.
I have been watching these shows about science and what they are learning, like 'The Universe' on the History Channel, 'Naked Science' on the National Geographic Channel and 'Fearless Planet'.

But I don't watch as much as this may sounds like, there is no TV show that I couldn't get up and walk away from, even in the middle of it.  I would never watch TV over having an interaction with a person.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 12:28:05 PM by Kat »

Samson

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 12:23:08 PM »

Hello Kat,

Good Post, I just tried to cut and paste a quote you made and it didn't work, I'll have to print out your instructions, have to crawl before walking and running.

I appreciated your quote about interaction with people, more important than watching television. Balance always wins out in my book, with the balance shifting in favor of Spiritual things and Human relationships. Actually, I hardly ever watched T.V. series type shows until meeting my current wife, three and one half years ago. I prefer Drama Type movies and look for the Human Behavior element as you mention in your post. My wife enjoys the Series LOST, also, I liked it in the beginning, 1st season, then got bored with it. The Incredible Hulk Series with Bill Bixby may sound alittle on the childish side to some, but I enjoyed it because of the struggle inside the Loving and good natured David Banner when becoming Angry, sorta like the Jekyl and Hyde inside man( the war of the flesh & Spirit). I likened that struggle to myself.  Same as the Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker battle inside of him, with the good inside of him triumphening over the evil Dark Side.

Thanks for that Post, Samson(Brad)

Extol

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 06:24:02 PM »

Samson, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS rules!!! It's so hilarious, and awesome. I idolise the Three Stooges, although they aren't really a TV show or a movie. They deserve to be in their own class anyways!
 the only TV i watch is sports.
Here are my 20 favourite movies:

1.The Lion In Winter
2.Twelve Angry Men
3.The Seventh Seal
4.First Knight
5.Lawrence of Arabia
6.The Adventures of Robin Hood
7.It Happened One Night
8.A Man For All Seasons
9.Amadeus
10.Mutiny On The Bounty (1935)
11.Spartacus
12.Citizen Kane
13.On The Waterfront
14.Eight Men Out
15.The Great Escape
16.The Last Samurai
17.Quiz Show
18.Witness For The Prosecution
19.Some Like It Hot
20.Double Indemnity

musicman

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 11:40:26 PM »

I can't believe that people on this site would be concerned with what's on Satan's box. (Family Guy rules!!)  I mean I'm appalled to be reading of what such weak minded soles do for entertainment.  (Anybody see that South Park with Tom Cruise, about the scientologists?)  It's times like these that we should all come together and just decide that TV is only for those who want to have their minds saturated by the world's sickness. (How bout that Reverend Lovejoy in the Simpsons.  Love those hell fire sermons he did.  Mo the bartender is hilarious.)  When is this country going to get back to family values and turn from the sewage of television entertainment and media? (When are they going to do a Married With Children reunion show?)  We should be watching such family classics as Growing Pains (Kirk Cameron is a heretic and a clown), Full House (uuuuugggghh), and Different Strokes (Wish I was adopted by a millionaire.  What you talkin about?!!).

And how about those wicked movies with the cursing and violence?  (Rambo showed me that even a 60 year old can blow up lots of bad people.)  And who thinks that deceiving Borat is funny? (I thought the movie was hilarious.)  I ended up buying the Lord of the Rings triology so that me and youth groups can perform an exorcism to rid the movie of the devil. (I also bought the first three Die Hard movies and. . . . . . . . . Borat.)

As you can see, I am no longer tempted by Satan and his lies manifested in this world's living rooms and megamall theatres.  I would rather pick a flower, sing a song, or protest such raving evil movies as "Bad Santa" (Satan made me watch it about 8 times) or "Elf" (oooh, that one was just horrific.).

Wow, glad that's off my chest.  Think now I'll go and confess some of my sins. (Oh wait, I just did.  So never mind!!!)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 11:47:55 PM by musicman »

Samson

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 12:28:49 AM »

Hello everyone,

I thought that the Off Topic Discussion section was for fun, thats' what it says in the heading. We see jokes and a variety of humor, those last two posts reek of extreme legalism, no-one is suggesting anyone has to watch T.V. or to like it, Ricky, I guess I took your post personally, but since I experienced extreme legalism as a JW for twenty years, it won't happen to me again, for whatever its' worth, I consider myself to be a balanced person, in my past I can remember different ones criticizing other individuals recreational choices and making a Pharisaical big deal out of it, my apologies if this post offended you, now lets' criticize every joke and bit of humor we read at this Forum, I have yet to meet the perfect Christian on this planet, if you find him or her, let me know, now I'm glad I got that off my chest.      Samson.

Kat

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 12:32:58 AM »

Hi Ricky,

I'm not sure what to make of your reply, were you joking  ???
I know musicman was a little over the top, but his was a joke, I think.

This is 'Off Topic' for fellowship away from the main topic of Ray's articles, but not in opposition to what he teaches.  He has mentioned some movies he has watched in some of his Bible studies I believe.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Akira329

• "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 12:45:09 AM »

Man, I have to agree with Kat and Musicman on this.
I love a lot of shows that I know I would be condemned in hell for by the "church"
But I learn far too much about human behaviors and peoples characters through TV
TV is still a tool or device that God uses right? Whether its to show who we really are or who and what we should be
or be doing. Honestly looking back on my life if I never watched TBN I wouldn't have found this site!!
Knowing what I know from this site its hard for me to image that anything that exist now is completely
useless in Gods plan of salvation. I never thought I would say that about tv!LOL

Also I don't see why this would be a forbidden topic considering its in off-topic discussions
God be with you all
Antaiwan

Oh P.S.
Favorite TV Shows:
Family Guy
House
Smallville
Mythbusters
Dirty Jobs
ALL of HGTV
American Chopper
Sopranos
Heros(What happened is it gone for good??)
Favorite Movies:
Coming to America
Last Dragon
Enter the Dragon(ALL Bruce lee movies)
Matrix Trilogy(including animatrix) I'm a big fan of Manga!
-Matrix series is best of all time to me!!!
Star Wars of course!
any many more...................

Has anybody ever seen the fountain?? Its about the tree of life!! It wasn't very good
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

Samson

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 01:29:09 AM »

Hello Ricky,

I guess I don't have much of a sense of humor at times and tend to take things too seriously at times, I consider the teachings at this Site very seriously and I'm rather new myself. In the past, some of us(me included) have probably watched movies that we are ashamed of, I didn't expect anyone to mention the most horrific shows they've ever watched, but certainly expected candor in what different ones would reveal as to what might be entertaining, I remember someone in my former religion mentioning T.V. being the "Devils Eyeball", yet all of them watched some T.V. and would justify their choices, yet anyone could have been righteous overmuch and found something wrong with their selection. Just like everything that man invents, it can be used for good and have beauty or be used for Evil. We see that all the time, just consider the internet, much wickedness has emanated from its' misuse, yet I enjoy its' research aspect, what beauty it can be in that respect, hence discovering Rays' Site. Someone mentioned preferring to watch the News, that can have an evil aspect to it, the media is capable of being the biggest fabricators of lies, half-truths and distortions, no one knows what to believe when listening to the news.

I'm sorry if I seemed to have snapped at you and even Musicman, I guess it just hit a nerve. Just wanted to have some fun in this stress ridden world. You need not worry about me taking this Site with seriousness, just ask my wife, she accuses me of bing too serious all the time.

Your Brother in Christ, Samson.

P.S. NO hard feelings, I'm glad Spring is almost here, I dislike Winter.

Craig

• There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 09:10:13 AM »

Well said, I always had only hoped posts like this TV one would not be allowed on BT. To me it is outside the rules of the form, what does it have to do with anything that we have learned from Ray. There are many other posts that should not be here as well, but they are. Its almost like somebody is saying, ok people lets give Ray a rest and talk about something else now.

Off topic is for anything outside of what Ray teaches or other religious discussion.   It is a for fun area for members to discuss other things (watercooler talk)  the only thing I don't let get started too far is political discussion and debate. (As some have found out before ;))

Craig

hillsbororiver

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 11:55:52 AM »

I know musicman was a little over the top, but his was a joke, I think.

;D

Knowing our Brother Musicman just a bit I can vouch that it was indeed satire, very well done IMHO as well!

Yes Kat I agree that Ray has brought up references to a movie or two during a bible study or Conference. I have been around Ray during some down time, fellowshipping (before or after his presentations and during meals) and he too enjoys a laugh and has mentioned some of his favorite movies in conversations.

To be honest the last time I saw Clint Eastwood's Pale Rider the spiritual implications gave me goose bumps.

Peace,

Joe

Samson

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 11:56:23 AM »

Thankyou Craig,

Thanks for the clarification you provided and thankyou for your Post Ricky and I agree that as individuals we need to show self-scrutiny as to what we watch and guard our hearts, always praying for Gods' guidance in all our recreation, no doubt, their is certainly alot of garbage presented for our viewing, we need to be cautious as serpents and innocent as doves. The World(Kosmos) wants to bring us down to their level, occupying our minds with Spiritual Truths as presented here, certainly helps in that effort.

Your Brother in Christ, Samson(Brad)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 23 queries.