bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Purgatory?  (Read 5852 times)

dkorsmo

Purgatory?
« on: March 07, 2008, 11:04:42 PM »

I have only been receiving teachings from bible truths for a few months now. I am extraordinarily impressed by Ray's teachings. I have a question however. There is no hell of eternal punishment...of that I am sure. However, my grandmother who was Catholic believed that everyone would go to purgatory to be punished until they were "good enough".  I know that this is not what Ray is teaching (purgatory) at least I think I know. Is what you are teaching considered purgatory? Dave

Sorin

Re: Purgatory?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 11:10:45 PM »

I have only been receiving teachings from bible truths for a few months now. I am extraordinarily impressed by Ray's teachings. I have a question however. There is no hell of eternal punishment...of that I am sure. However, my grandmother who was Catholic believed that everyone would go to purgatory to be punished until they were "good enough".  I know that this is not what Ray is teaching (purgatory) at least I think I know. Is what you are teaching considered purgatory? Dave

Hey Dave,

Well, it's something like that, except the fire is not a literal fire, and it's purpose isn't to torture for the sheer purpose of torturing. Rather, to burn out all the impurities, the evil, out of the individual. Kinda like purifying gold, if you will. That's what I get out of Ray's teachings.

Take care,
Sorin

musicman

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 11:56:44 PM »

Major church doctrines such as purgatory are flat out wrong (period).  In the old days people could purchase indolgences for such things as buying people out of purgatory.  Purgatory and the Lake of Fire are not one and the same thing.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 01:51:57 PM by musicman »

Martinez

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 02:37:22 AM »

Major church doctrines such purgatory are flat out wrong (period).  In the old days people could purchase indolgences for such things as buying people out of purgatory.  Purgatory and the Lake of Fire are not one and the same thing.

Yep, spot on!

Those who are being judged in this life and having their lake of fire experience in this life are not being burned!

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 03:55:00 AM »

Hello Dave

Welcome to the Forum!

People do not die and then go to Purgatory or any other experience or place which is what Pagan Catholicism teaches. When you are dead you know not anything. That is God's Word on the matter. I think we can trust rely and lean on what God says! :)

I used to be a Minister of the Word in the Catholic Church! I have since been dragged out, given eyes to see and a heart to repent of ever having believed that God lies and hurts us because of His pleasure and righteousness! That is blatent blasphemy and error.

Peace to you brother

Arcturus :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 03:56:11 AM by Arcturus »

David

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 04:18:55 AM »

In the old days people could purchase indolgences for such things as buying people out of purgatory. 

Would you believe this is still going on today? A couple of years ago I signed up to a mailing list of a well known worldwide ministry that opperates mainly in Africa. I still get letters from them twice a month, usually selling some over priced trinkets or books. On a few occassions now they have sent out letters with prayer request money envelopes. The jist of it is, you send a cheque (they suggest a minimum of 100 euros, which is about £60......almost the same ammount as the average weekly pension in the UK), and they  offer to pray for a loved one of your choosing that has passed away without knowing Christ in the hope of releasing them from Hell.  :o :o :o
Its amazing that such heresy goes on today, and from a Protestant minsitry!! 

Kat

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 11:03:48 AM »

Hi Dave,

I'm glad you have joined us  :)
I guess the purgatory idea gives your Grandmother hope for those who go to hell, will not remain there, but will get to heaven.  I guess that is not such a bad idea.  But purgatory is not what the Scripture teaches.  If you go into purgatory at death then you do not really die, but the Scripture says..

Ecc 9:5  For the living know that they will die;  But the dead know nothing, And they have no more reward, For the memory of them is forgotten.

Psa 146:4  His spirit departs, he returns to his earth; In that very day his plans perish.

Ecc 12:7  Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

And the verse (II Cor. 5:08) that so many use to say at death we will instantly be with the Lord, well here is an email that explains that.

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3138.0.html ----

I get asked that question continually. People think there is a verse in the Bible that says: "To be absent from the body   IS   to be present with the Lord." There is no such verse. It says, "To be absent from the body   AND TO BE  [future tense] present with the Lord" (II Cor. 5:08). NO ONE meets the Lord before the "Last Trump" as Paul himself declared in I Cor. 15:52.

God be with you,
    Ray
-----------------------------------------------------

So you see when we die we really are dead in the grave, awaiting resurrection.  That resurrection is our only hope.  But we do have assurance in that Christ has risen.

1Co 15:20  But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
v. 21  For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
v. 22  For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

The hope we find in Christ is so much greater than what man has dreamed up.  So keep studing the articles on the BT site and you will see the Truth unfold into a truely wonderful thing.  And it will set you free from all the man made traditions that deceive and bind the mind from understanding the Truth.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 11:08:11 AM by Kat »

Samson

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 11:49:52 AM »

Hello Everyone,

Very Good responses, of course Purgatory is unscriptural and constitutes a literal fire, but the Question by dkorsmo(Dave), shows that he apparently has his thinking cap on; long before my arrival to this Site when beginning my embrace of the Eventual Salvation of All, the Catholic idea of Purgatory went through my mind, wondering if maybe they came up with that in order to compensate for the obvious Scriptures that indicate Salvation eventually for all and so they instituted this teaching in place of the right ones, its' my understanding they use Scriptures from The Old Testament Apocapha, one of the Maccabees'. While doing my Universal Salvation investigation along my travels, I noticed that in the Catholic Church, at least part of it, they consider Universal Salvation Heterodoxical and not Heritical, I saw that in Wikipedia, in fact thats how I found this Site, indirectly through Wikipedia. However, to believe in Purgatory, you would have to believe in Inherent Immortality of the Soul, something I haven't believed in since 1979. Paul mentions about putting on incorruption and immortality, must put on immortality(1Cor.15:51-54) and 1Tim.6:16(the one alone that has immortality, that dwells in unapproachable light).     

Your Brother in Christ, Samson.

Phil3:10

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 05:47:32 PM »

To All,
The Catholic Institution came up with the false idea of purgatory for one reason, money.

Martinez

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 09:49:18 PM »

To All,
The Catholic Institution came up with the false idea of purgatory for one reason, money.

Yep, and their still doing it today in the main stream christian Church's except with a slightly different spin....

You pay you're own way out of Hell before you get there through tithing!

The motives and the motivators are still the same though,

greed and fear!

dkorsmo

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 10:23:46 PM »

WOW! Thank you all for your replies to my question! I basically thought pretty much the same things but wasn't sure I had it right. Now, I think I do. Thank you again! Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.