bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Lord giveth....and the Lord taketh away....  (Read 8115 times)

joyful1

The Lord giveth....and the Lord taketh away....
« on: March 08, 2008, 01:13:10 PM »

:) Hello to all!
I am wondering how many others here can say the same thing about God giving them wonderful things in their lives......and then removing those VERY things? You know...like Job's experience?

I recently thought over the events in my own life and suddenly realized that, almost without exception, every single good thing that God has given me in my life, has now been taken away by Him....

Job 1:21
"...Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD."

If you look at that passage closely......Job seems to be saying that he will  return to the womb, but naked as when he came forth!  Which sounds like Nicodemus' question in the NT ; "can a man return again to his mother's womb?"

Both are talking about being "born again, " right?

But Job seems to be saying that the "born again" part is NOT going to happen until you are stripped of everything that was given to you here.....
of course, the more important possessions are not physical ones.  It's good to be stripped of "pride, anger, lust, jealousy, etc." is it not??  :)

Also....there is sooo much meaning in "clothing." ( Naked I came, naked I will return)....
God clothed "ADAM" / dirtman  with animal skins.....
but eventually takes that away....takes away "the beastly garment"...

now the clothing that we look forward to is the white raiment of "righteousness"...

Joyce :)

lilitalienboi16

Re: The Lord giveth....and the Lord taketh away....
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 03:39:14 PM »

:) Hello to all!
I am wondering how many others here can say the same thing about God giving them wonderful things in their lives......and then removing those VERY things? You know...like Job's experience?

I recently thought over the events in my own life and suddenly realized that, almost without exception, every single good thing that God has given me in my life, has now been taken away by Him....

Job 1:21
"...Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD."

If you look at that passage closely......Job seems to be saying that he will  return to the womb, but naked as when he came forth!  Which sounds like Nicodemus' question in the NT ; "can a man return again to his mother's womb?"

Both are talking about being "born again, " right?

But Job seems to be saying that the "born again" part is NOT going to happen until you are stripped of everything that was given to you here.....
of course, the more important possessions are not physical ones.  It's good to be stripped of "pride, anger, lust, jealousy, etc." is it not??  :)

Also....there is sooo much meaning in "clothing." ( Naked I came, naked I will return)....
God clothed "ADAM" / dirtman  with animal skins.....
but eventually takes that away....takes away "the beastly garment"...

now the clothing that we look forward to is the white raiment of "righteousness"...

Wow joyce, that was beautiful and great observations! I can agree with you, however i havn't experienced the stripping of good things as you say, because the one Good thing in my life has always been a constant, has always been lurking over my shoulders =].

I think when the Lord giveth and taketh he speaks of His sovereignty and although that can include good things, i think for the most part God gives us things we THINK are GOOD at the time, to EASE OUR PAIN and to strengthan our faith, but after a time, He knows its time for us to let go of those things and move forward trusting in HIM NOW fully. Time to set aside childish things because now we are no longer children. Make sence? I hope so :D

Thank you for shareing!

Love to you sister,

Alex

Phil3:10

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 06:31:28 PM »

Joyce,
GOD has given me so much and taken so little from me that I do worry that HE will call me to suffer for HIM. I only pray for HIS mercy and strength to endure what HE may have waiting for me. However, my only hope is in HIM.
Phil3:10

Vangie

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 08:34:55 PM »

It's all so profound--now I realize (I'm a tad older I guess than you guys), that it's all about Him.  What he gives and takes away, is his will, not ours.  (It ain't nothing but a "thang"--as was said when I was younger...dating myself even more probably  :D!  But really they're just THINGS, not spiritual at all--doesn't really matter in the big scheme)  Not worth worrying about, that's for sure, as there is a big picture in the making, and I'm (we're) hopefully a bit part therein?!!

Pretty cool stuff.  Love in Christ,
Vangie

joyful1

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 09:26:18 PM »

Hi everyone! Thanks for your responses! :)
I am very thankful for the time God has given me and the experiences that He has seen fit that I walk through....I don't mean to sound like I am complaining, although I know for sure that I do complain to God about things from time to time....what I am curious about is if you guys, like me, really didn't notice things being taken away until all of a sudden one day, like me, you woke up and said; whoa! all my stuff is gone! LOL! I guess that explains it the best! :)
You see....things (and I use the term lightly) began disappearing from my life...but I would think that it was because of my poor judgement or my sins or something....but after a while....I realized that just about everything has been taken....my home, one of my children, my children's father, my wealth, my ability to make wealth, my youth, my health, my mind (at times! he he), my family and friends...those are "the things" that I am talking about....
I must totally rely on God for everything....
He is faithful....I want for nothing.....I didn't mean to sound ungrateful at all....I hope you can see what I mean now?

Sincerely,
Joyce :) (age 50 )

ellie77

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 07:36:16 AM »

I know what you mean Joyce. So many things have gone out of my life as well.Material things often. I always looked at those things as being "tools of the trade" anyway,appropriate to the job at the time,so never let it worry me. The other things,like the children's father,ability to work,family,friends et have nearly all gone and in different ways. Some of this loss has been a heavy grief but I know that a much needed pruning is  and has gone on. So as hard as it is sometimes,it's O.K.God has us in his hands,for his plans........loosing is sometimes finding.......and to find God and seek him......is just so worth it all.......Peace to all....Ellie...

psalmsinger

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 11:05:14 AM »

I do see what you are talking about Joyce and they are the good "spiritual things" of this life that God provides and takes away in His loving will for our lives.   When relationships with friends and family end or fade away, you do have to depend soley on the Lord for everything.  That is a hard lesson of which Job was an ensample.  Material possiessions and other pleasures of this world are nothing but vanity, but the love of and for your brother or fellowman, Jesus has deemed of greatest importance. Relationships are the the most important "thing" in this life, with the most important relationships being with our Lord and Savior Jesus Chirst and God our Father. It is marvelous how Jesus reveals His compassion for His fellowman in different ways to the believer, the sinner, and the church leaders.  We may be lonely in this world, but never alone.  Rest with Him,

Barbara

joyful1

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 12:41:06 AM »

In the noise and confusion of the world......its so nice to find YOU GUYS here! A sancutary of understanding! In loosing all my "stuff" I've found the most important "thing" of all:  that "no-thing" can sepparate us from the love of God!

Thanks for being there for me today!

gmik

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 11:29:19 PM »

Beautiful Joyce!

Thank you for sharing so much of yourself. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.