bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The King James Study Bible: Biased?  (Read 7657 times)

Paul

The King James Study Bible: Biased?
« on: March 13, 2008, 09:03:24 PM »

Is the King James Study Bible extremely biased?

Martinez

Re: The King James Study Bible: Biased?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 09:13:46 PM »

Well I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but when you can have so many English words translated from just one Greek or Hebrew word and you already have a preconceived notion of what those words mean it a given context, then you get a fairly good idea of just how easy it would be to doctrinally slant something.

It's already been done in heaps of bible translations, so I would be very surprised and impressed if you KJV study bible was not.

David

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 10:21:55 PM »

IMO the simple answer is yes. There are of course several versions of study Bibles, compiled by different theologians. You'll probably find diferences in all of them. The likelyhood is that what you are going to get is the biased theological views of whoever the author or publisher is.
I have a Dake study KJ, a Nelson study KJ and an Oxford study KJ. The best use I've found for the study notes is mostly historical background. The theological views put forward are almost always the orthodox views of the Church. Dakes in particular has some great historical refferences, unfortunately he believes and promotes just about every single false doctrine in the Church.
I prefer refference Bibles. Nelson and Zondervan refference Bibles are exelent, make sure you get the red letter editions.

Paul

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 08:45:14 PM »

I don't think there's any other way I'll understand the King James Bible, though.

Kat

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 08:59:23 PM »

Hi Paul,

I like using E-Sword, I can cross reference the different translations and find that very helpful.  Whenever I come to a verse that I don't understand, I will check out other translations and even the commentaries and the dictionaries.  This aids my studies a great deal.

Here is a link to the Bible helps we have available here.
http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,4470.0.html

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Chris R

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 12:49:41 AM »

I don't think there's any other way I'll understand the King James Bible, though.

Here is a help tip,

Whenever you find one spiritual truth in scripture, nothing can, or will contradict that truth, Take for example, Tim 4:10

For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.
King James Version 1611, 1769

NKJV - 1Ti 4:10 - For to this end we both labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe.
Footnote:
NU-Text reads we labor and strive.
New King James Version © 1982 Thomas Nelson

NLT - 1Ti 4:10 - We work hard and suffer much in order that people will believe the truth, for our hope is in the living God, who is the Savior of all people, and particularly of those who believe.
Footnote:
Some manuscripts read and strive.
New Living Translation © 1996 Tyndale Charitable Trust

NIV - 1Ti 4:10 - (and for this we labor and strive), that we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, and especially of those who believe.

New International Version © 1973, 1978, 1984 International Bible Society

ESV - 1Ti 4:10 - For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe.

[1063]    gar   
therefore              [1519]    eis   
(with Strongs #)    [5124]    touto   
we                       [2872]    kopiao   
both                     [2532]    kai   
labour                   [2872]    kopiao 
and                      [2532]    kai   
suffer reproach,      [3679]    oneidizo 
because                [3754]    hoti   
we trust               [1679]    elpizo 
in                        [1909]    epi   
the living               [2198]    zao 
God,                     [2316]    theos   
who                     [3739]    hos   
is                        [2076]    esti 
the Saviour           [4990]    soter   
of all                   [3956]    pas   
men,                   [444]    anthropos   
specially               [3122]    malista   
of those that believe.  [4103]    pistos

Now cross reference all of strongs concordance, and see if these words are translated correctly, then you come to one spiritual truth.. God is the Savior of All men, "especially" although not "exclusivley" of those that believe.

Nothing you read, or nothing that is written will contradict that verse, if a translation does, then something is out of whack.

Best i can explain it.

And no it isnt easy, it takes long hours, and constant study to see if these things be true.

Peace

Chris R

Paul

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 01:19:52 AM »

Speaking of 1 Timothy 4:10, fundamentalists try to rationalize that that verse means only the special ones will actually get saved. Ridiculous.

David

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 09:06:31 AM »

Hi Paul. Chris' advice is very good. Ray did a talk on foundational truths, which you can find in the Rays audios thread along with the notes. I've listened to it several times, its just great. Like Chris says once you have those truths nothing can contradict them. From my experience the only things in the KJV that contradict scripture, which is true for many English bibles, is the concept of hell as being a place of eternal torment, and the concept of eternity/forever/everlasting etc meaning endless time. Ray has done some great papers on both of these subject which you'd do well to read. Once you have an understanding of how the words pertaining to hell and eternity should be translated, then the KJV or any other for that matter really doesn't contradict at all. Sure they all have some very minor translation errors, but nothing that really sends you miles off whats being said, if Gods Spirit is guiding you. I say that because nothing but Gods Spirit can give you the meanings of all the parables contained in the Bible, and the hidden spiritual meanings of the message.
Be blessed
David 

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 05:14:40 AM »

Speaking of 1 Timothy 4:10, fundamentalists try to rationalize that that verse means only the special ones will actually get saved. Ridiculous.

To add : especially does not mean exclusively. God is an inclusive God and will be all in all not all in part or some or only the chosen. He will have every knee bow to Him not just a few. This kind of shows God's Power and Might and Wisdom and Knowledge that is not our own way of thinking or believing yet. It will be one day. 8) Only God can use the foolish things of this world to reveal by contrast His Sovereignty. When He does, there will be repentance and then knowledge of Him will set the captives to their own imaginations, free.  8) That too will be a good thing for everyone not just the few. :)

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

Samson

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 09:39:49 AM »

To add : especially does not mean exclusively. God is an inclusive God and will be all in all not all in part or some or only the chosen. He will have every knee bow to Him not just a few. This kind of shows God's Power and Might and Wisdom and Knowledge that is not our own way of thinking or believing yet. It will be one day. 8) Only God can use the foolish things of this world to reveal by contrast His Sovereignty. When He does, there will be repentance and then knowledge of Him will set the captives to their own imaginations, free.  8) That too will be a good thing for everyone not just the few. :)

Peace to you

Well said Arcturus,

I just finished reading and listening to Ray's Bible study from February regarding the seven Foundational Truths and he mentions that passage from Phillipians. 2:9-11( every knee bowing and every tongue confessing Jesus as Lord ). That doesn't leave anyone out, I typed the list of those Scriptures mentioned in that study for future use and plan to apply his suggestions about letting those Scriptures stand on their own merit, because God does not lie(Titus. 1:2). As Ray so thoroughly explained, you can't take other Scriptures elsewhere and claim they contradict these Scriptures mentioned in that study, that would make God a liar, which is something he will not do. Those who attempt to use one Scripture to contradict another Scripture fail to take into account 2 Timothy. 3:16,17( All Scriptured is inspired of God....). Their God is the God of confusion and their Babblying(Babel or Babylon) causes confusion in the minds of their followers when attempting to learn the Scriptures. It's certainly true that we require God's Spirit to open our minds and hearts in order to understand the Scriptures, we can have the desire and that's good, but he(God) decides when and if we are going to understand them.

Your Brother in Christ, Samson.

Arcturus :)

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 10:08:38 AM »

It is wonderful Sampson to think that even the most deceived snarling sniveling back biting hypocrites will have their eyes opened and be saved!  :o

What I have been considering is that they might be having their eyes opened ahead of the religious leaders who shut them out of the kingdom of God and do not enter it themselves. So when I encounter a "blind" person I just think to my self....that person will have their eyes opened maybe ahead of  my partially opened eyes now. That thought puts me in my place! :) :o

Peace to you brother

Arc :)

Paul

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 11:46:50 PM »

To add : especially does not mean exclusively.

Well, the KJV doesn't use "especially"; it uses "specially". Luckily, in this case, though, "specially" does mean "especially", and we know that because it's used in the same way in Titus 1:10.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.