bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just one more question.  (Read 5532 times)

woops

Just one more question.
« on: March 13, 2008, 11:59:34 PM »

I honestly don't know if ray wrote about this in his articles or in his emails, I looked and can't find it if he has.
I found myself thinking today about a bible chapter because one of my family members brought it up.
It's cor. 6-19, one of my family said that basically I should take better care of myself because my body is god's temple, I found myself looking up the verse in scripture(of course not knowing if the translation I had was correct), I looked up the verse online(especially on bible truths.com).  I wondered about this verse most of the day because I just don't understand it's meaning.  19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

Now, my family member said take care of your body, be healthy and then you are glorifying god or honoring god(whatever your translation is) because your body is god's temple and if you take good care of it then you are doing as this verse says.

Is this true?  What does this verse mean, I read cor. chapter six and still do not understand.  What would honoring god or glorifying god with your body be in this chapter?

Would anybody care to shed some light on this? 
Simply put, would anybody explain cor. chapter six, especially starting at verse 19.

Kat

Re: Just one more question.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 01:33:36 AM »

Hi woops,

When the Holy Spirit is given to someone God has chosen, they are then aware that God is working in them and this awareness brings with it a desire to live a life that honors the presents of God's indwelling Holy Spirit.

1Cor. 6:17  But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him.

1Cor. 6:19  Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?

1Cor. 6:20  For you were bought at a price...

Christ died for us, He shed His blood, that was paying the ultimate price, the most precious gift.  It was so that we may be redeemed - rescued - purchased and He did it voluntarily.

Act 20:28  Therefore take heed to yourselves... which He (Jesus Christ) purchased with His own blood.

Rev 5:9 ...For You were slain, And have redeemed us to God by Your blood...

1Cor. 6:20 ...therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's.

We show honor to God by fleeing from sin, that harms the body and/or the spirit, as Paul expounds in these next verses.

Rom 6:6  Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
Rom 6:11  Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Rom 6:12  Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
Rom 6:13  Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

I hope this helps  :)

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Linny

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 02:37:33 AM »

I agree with Kat completely. Our body now belongs to Christ who "bought" it. To me, it means that I should use my body in ways that honor this gift. If I am sinning with my body, I am not honoring Him.

If I am not taking care of my body, I am not honoring Him with my body. I think your family is correct but just not taking in the entire picture. They are correct in that if I am sickly and running to ungodly sources to "fix" myself like all the horrific pharmaceuticals out there now, then I am taking up valuable time involved in things that harm my body and go against how my body was so wonderfully designed. At the same time, I cannot serve Him if I am sick.

Lin

Dante

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 09:04:01 AM »

You can do nothing without God.
If you try to do it on your own, you will ultimately fail.
It has to come from God.

SO,........

Don't FOCUS ON YOUR SINS, or your bad habits or whatever (We ALL HAVE THEM).
Focus on the word of God.
Pray and read (Study) the word of God.
Focusing on your sin will only make you want to sin more.
Hence, tell a child not to do something and he or she will want to do it all the more. Yet, if you focus on the love of God, those sins will become less and less important.

When others tell you to stop doing something because it is bad for you. A lot of the time they are saying it so that they feel better about themselves (Not always, but plenty).

When they tell you to stop doing something since it is bad for you and not what God wants. You ask them to pray for you, Since you cannot do it (Or anything for that matter on your own), only God can.

And if they persist in telling you it is wrong and that God wants you to stop. Tell them that you don't have a FREE WILL and that THEY WILL HAVE TO TAKE IT UP WITH GOD, if they don't like it.
Do they have sins that are apparent??
Or are their sins WELL HIDDEN? Do they like to gossip? Or lie??
How would they like it if every time you heard them Gossip, you told them to stop it because it wasn't good for them.

We are not to be entrenched in Legalism!!!

Paul didn't want to sin, yet he found himself doing the things he hated.

Are we any better???

The power to do or not do ANYTHING is IN THE WORD OF GOD,....not us.
The old man is dead, the only way of empowering the NEW man is by every word out of the mouth of God, for that is food which strengthens the NEW MAN.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 09:16:18 AM by Dante »

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 04:34:01 PM »

This thread makes me ask, what is the body?

Flesh and blood will not inherit the Kingdom of God which is within. We are vessels made of clay (flesh and blood). For me,  our spiritual body is not clay but is made up of our motives, thoughts and desires. This shows the condition of our heart, who we are and how we act and why we do things the way we do things which expresses our spiritual body. As a man thinketh...you know...Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks...and the tongue is the smallest member of the body...etc

God sets the circumstances and how we respond manifests the condition of our hearts. That is who we are in our spiritual body that has to be regenerated by the Spirit of Christ into conformity with His Mind and Heart and not our minds and hearts made of clay. This can only be done by the work of God in us via His Spirit of Truth. We are all God's work in progress! HIS Body is perfect and faultless.  8) and His thoughts and ways are still not our thoughts and ways yet!

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

woops

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 06:22:43 PM »

Wow, thanks again.

I could really use an easy to read guide to the truth.

eggi

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 08:33:42 PM »

Woops,

I think that we should take care of our bodies, but as Arcturus pointed out: What is the body?

There is also this scripture:

For bodily exercise profiteth little (it does profit!): but godliness is profitable unto all things. (1st Timothy 4:8)

Take a look at these commentaries as well:

Geneva Study Bible

{12} For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.

(12) Godliness consists in spiritual exercise, and not in outward strictness of life, which though it is something to be esteemed, if it is used correctly, yet it is in no way comparable with godliness. For it profits not in and of itself, but through the benefit of another; but godliness has the promise both of the present life, and of that which is to come.

People's New Testament

4:8 For bodily exercise profiteth little. The Greeks gave great attention to bodily training. At Ephesus, where Timothy was, may still be seen the remains of the stadium where the athletes displayed their skill. Let Christians display the same assiduity in training for godliness.

Godliness is profitable in all things. Godly training makes men happier, more prosperous, more healthy here, and in addition it prepares them for the life to come. The way to reach heaven is not either to starve or to exercise the body.

Wesley's Notes

4:8 Bodily exercise profiteth a little - Increases the health and strength of the body.

King James Translators' Notes

little: or, for a little time

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary

8. profiteth little-Greek, "profiteth to (but) a small extent." Paul does not deny that fasting and abstinence from conjugal intercourse for a time, with a view to reaching the inward man through the outward, do profit somewhat, Ac 13:3; 1Co 7:5, 7; 9:26, 27 (though in its degenerate form, asceticism, dwelling solely on what is outward, 1Ti 4:3, is not only not profitable but injurious). Timothy seems to have had a leaning to such outward self-discipline (compare 1Ti 5:23). Paul, therefore, while not disapproving of this in its due proportion and place, shows the vast superiority of godliness or piety, as being profitable not merely "to a small extent," but unto all things; for, having its seat within, it extends thence to the whole outward life of a man. Not unto one portion only of his being, but to every portion of it, bodily and spiritual, temporal and eternal [Alford]. "He who has piety (which is 'profitable unto all things') wants nothing needed to his well-being, even though he be without those helps which, 'to a small extent,' bodily exercise furnishes" [Calvin]. "Piety," which is the end for which thou art to "exercise thyself" (1Ti 4:7), is the essential thing: the means are secondary.

having promise, &c.-Translate as Greek, "Having promise of life, that which now is, and that which is to come." "Life" in its truest and best sense now and hereafter (2Ti 1:1). Length of life now so far as it is really good for the believer; life in its truest enjoyments and employments now, and life blessed and eternal hereafter (Mt 6:33; Mr 10:29, 30). "Now in this time" (Ps 84:11; 112:1-10; Ro 8:28; 1Co 3:21, 22, "all things are yours . the world, life . things present, things to come"). Christianity, which seems to aim only at our happiness hereafter, effectually promotes it here (1Ti 6:6; 2Pe 1:3). Compare Solomon's prayer and the answer (1Ki 3:7-13).

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

4:6-10 Outward acts of self-denial profit little. What will it avail us to mortify the body, if we do not mortify sin? No diligence in mere outward things could be of much use. The gain of godliness lies much in the promise; and the promises to godly people relate partly to the life that now is, but especially to the life which is to come: though we lose for Christ, we shall not lose by him. If Christ be thus the Saviour of all men, then much more will he be the Rewarder of those who seek and serve him; he will provide well for those whom he has made new creatures.

God bless you,
Eirik
Here’s how to tell if you have faith; how do you live… what do you do… what do you accomplish in life… what are your goals… What is there about you that proves that you have this faith and belief inside of you? What?

joyful1

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 03:30:19 AM »

Hi woops!
I've been thinking about the same thing that Acturus was thinking about, and that is; what IS the body?

Romans 12:5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

I Corinthians 10:17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

Ephesians 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

I've always thought of "my body" as MY body! (Honour God in your body.)

But now I am beginning to recognise "my body" as the ONE and ONLY BODY!
Or HIS BODY! Which is made up of MANY members....from around the world throughout this age.

Do you get what I am saying?
We are ALL ONE in Christ Jesus!

So honouring God in "my body," or "THE BODY" is a spiritual thing...not necessarily a physical thing.  I can honour God many ways in the body....and one way is by honouring the OTHER members of MY BODY, which is God's because He OWNS it!

Indeed, the bridegroom offers a dowry (purchase price) for the bride.
When she "drinks from the cup" she agrees to the purchase price.
Then the "two shall become one."

Just my thoughts....
Joyce :)

acomplishedartis

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 04:07:34 PM »

Flesh and blood will not inherit the Kingdom of God which is within. We are vessels made of clay (flesh and blood). For me,  our spiritual body is not clay but is made up of our motives, thoughts and desires. This shows the condition of our heart, who we are and how we act and why we do things the way we do things which expresses our spiritual body.

Arcturus

Arcturus i am with you. I don't think neither this verse talk about our physical body.

There is people in pour countries who would never be able to honour God with their bodys.
I think This verse is used by religious people who want to imput their healthy prosperity gospel where everyone must be happy and everything is color soft pink.

colibri

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 01:54:06 AM »

This is my first post and I am just going to say that sometimes Scripture has more than one meaning. I think it is important to take care of our physical body because it is a gift of God and while on earth it helps us to do God's work. But the most important is our spiritual body where the Holy Spirit dwells.

I also found it interesting that the body could mean the Body of Christ, which is the church (those called out)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.