bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help with a bit of hebrew  (Read 4899 times)

phazel

help with a bit of hebrew
« on: March 18, 2008, 11:09:36 AM »

I am not really understanding how to research greek and hebrew meanings.

The only source I have right now to the hebrew and greek is www.scripture4all.org

In Genesis 1:27  when it is talking about God "creating" rather than created I see a reference to the hebrew word  "uibra"  and in other passages when the word is rendered "created"  I see the hebrew word
"bra"  but both words seem to have the same strongs number  h1254.  So what am I missing here?

Kat

Re: help with a bit of hebrew
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 11:56:33 AM »

Hi Phazel,

One way to have a better understanding of what the meaning is would be to look at what the best translations say.
When you compare the few that Ray uses and recommends - The Concordant Literal, Rotherham's Emphasized Bible, The Emphatic Diaglott, and Young's Literal Translation.  I find that using these really helps my understanding.

CLV
Gen 1:27 And creating is the Elohim humanity in His image. In the image of the Elohim He creates it. Male and female He creates them.

YLT
Gen 1:27  And God prepareth the man in His image; in the image of God He prepared him, a male and a female He prepared them.

Rotherham
Gen 1:27 And God created the man in his own image, In the image of God, created he him,—Male and female, created he, them.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

phazel

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 12:08:32 PM »

I'm not so much at this point just after an understanding scripturally.    I clearly see the significant difference between "created" and creating.

But in order to seek accuracy,  I am wondering about the difference is how the word is used.

If the same strongs reference is used for the rendering of two different words, what makes the difference in how it is used?

Of course when I reference the scripture4all.org    I also see a difference.   it has the words   "bra" for created,  and "uibra"  for creating,  but if I go online to a lexicon with the strongs number H1254 I get this.

1254 bara' baw-raw' a primitive root; (absolutely) to create; (qualified) to cut down (a wood), select, feed (as formative processes):-- choose, create (creator), cut down, dispatch, do, make (fat).

chuckt

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 12:30:48 PM »

I am not really understanding how to research greek and hebrew meanings.

The only source I have right now to the hebrew and greek is www.scripture4all.org

In Genesis 1:27  when it is talking about God "creating" rather than created I see a reference to the hebrew word  "uibra"  and in other passages when the word is rendered "created"  I see the hebrew word
"bra"  but both words seem to have the same strongs number  h1254.  So what am I missing here?

greetings.

go to a judiasm forum and ask these questions if you want. BUT, i asked the same question and even those learned in hebrew and messianich jews understand it to be ""creating"" a continueing act.

peace
chuckt

phazel

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 12:36:16 PM »

If it against forum rules to post a link to the forum you refer to, private message me.

Kat

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 12:40:42 PM »

Hi phazel,

Well Ray has talked about how hard translating is.  Here is an excerpt from the conference 'How We Got The Bible.'

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,5815.0.html ------

But it is an amazing thing what Tyndale was able to accomplish in his translation, because he uses all the words. I mean it’s seldom they have to leave a word out or put too many extra words in.  But sometimes they do, because like I’ve said so many times, it’s impossible to translate one language into another word for word.  It’s just not possible.  People think that it is possible…. people that don’t know anything about languages.  
It is no such thing as you take a language like Russian or German and then each Germany word you give it a English word and then you can read it.  It would be gobbledy gook.

So some of the modern versions, like the New King James, they took out all the ‘thee’ and ‘thou’ and all of that sort of thing. They tried to modernize it.  Some of the versions they put more emphases on translating phrases, rather than specific word for word.  But it’s not just the science to translating, it’s an art.

We need to be thankful we have the King James.  Although when I want to be critical, I’ll consult other Books, many times the King James is right though.  It’s right okay, but it’s not as precise as Rotherham Emphatic Diaglott or the Concordant Literal Bible.  
-------------------------------------------------

We have some really good translations, so we have to rely on the translator, which I believe were exceptional scholars.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.