bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raising the Temple  (Read 8170 times)

Evan600

Raising the Temple
« on: March 22, 2008, 08:25:23 PM »

Let's look at this verse:

Joh 2:19  Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I [Jesus?] will raise it up.

Am I missing something in this verse, or the Scripture.  I know that it wasn't Jesus raising Himself, but it was our Father.  Why does this verse phrase it like this?  Am I missing something with the language?

Thanks!

M_Oliver

Re: Raising the Temple
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 09:20:04 PM »

Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father. (John 10:17-18 KJVR)

dewey

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 10:03:56 PM »

Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father. (John 10:17-18 KJVR)

[
/quote]  good job oliver ,the spirit had me looking up the scripture when you posted,in the spirit we think alike ,of course.
 love ya brother. dewey

truthistforjesus

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 10:27:33 PM »

The most important aspect of this verse is that the Father gave him the command.  The temple he is speaking of is the 'invisible' kingdom of heaven.  When he died we forever received the Comforter.  Jesus' eternal spirit alive on earth!

Love
TFJ

dewey

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 11:10:10 PM »

The most important aspect of this verse is that the Father gave him the command.  The temple he is speaking of is the 'invisible' kingdom of heaven.  When he died we forever received the Comforter.  Jesus' eternal spirit alive on earth!

I am going to disagree with you on this ,frist of all no man could ever destroy the kingdom of heaven . And second of all , it was only after Jesus ascended to our father that we would receive the comforter.If i need to show you the scripture let me know . In the spirit love ya dewey

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 04:10:51 AM »

Let's look at this verse:

Joh 2:19  Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I [Jesus?] will raise it up.

Am I missing something in this verse, or the Scripture.  I know that it wasn't Jesus raising Himself, but it was our Father.  Why does this verse phrase it like this?  Am I missing something with the language?

Thanks!

Hmm interesting question Jason. Perhaps you could email ray on this one?

If i were to venture on this i would say that... The Father did raise Jesus but it's because it is the Father who gave Jesus the ability to raise Himself? Much like the Father did Create the heavens and the earth but so did Jesus because it came out of the Father and through Jesus. Make sence? I'm only guessing, i suppose.

Looking forward to seeing what others have to say about this.

God bless,

Alex

jerreye

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 07:12:49 AM »

I know it says:

Matt 28:18
"ALL power is given unto Me (Jesus) in heaven and on earth"

But, it also says:

John 14:10
"Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak NOT of myself: but the FATHER that dwelleth in me, HE (the Father) DOETH (in actuality) the works.
"

Perhaps in here lies the answer?

Chris R

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 08:35:05 AM »

Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;) [Gal 1:1]

Jesus Christ did not raise himself from the dead, He was actually DEAD.

As Paul has stated, it was the Father who raised him from the dead.

Perhaps the foillowing verse could shed some light on the verse in question.

Mat 26:53  Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels? But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?

Having the power to do these things is one thing, But following the will of His Father is what he did.

Best i can explain it

Chris R

Samson

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 11:57:10 AM »

Hello Everyone,

It also says in Acts. 2:24,27,31,32; (" But God resurrected him by loosing the pangs of death, because it was not possible for him to continue to be held fast by it, verse 27 says: " because you will not leave my soul in Hades, neither will you allow your loyal one to see corruption; Verse 31 & 32: " he saw beforehand and spoke concerning the resurrection of the Christ, that neither was he foresaken in Hades nor did his flesh see corruption.  This JESUS GOD RESURRECTED of which fact we are all witnesses").

The above Scripture, plus the one Chris mentioned in his Post(Gal.1:1) clarifies that his Father resurrected him(Jesus). As Chris pointed out, Jesus was dead. He was dead for the better part of three days(not totaling 72 hours), but parts of three days.

Unless I stand corrected, Trinitarians love that Scripture at John. 2:19, trying to prove that he wasn't actually dead and didn't need The Father to raise him. Just like Jonah being in the belly of the Whale or big fish for three days, if the Whale hadn't spewed him out, the digestive juices would have killed him and it would have been his grave.

Hopefully I didn't veer too far with this, an interesting and appropriate post, considering that most of Christendom is thinking about the anniversary of Christ's resurrection.

Your Brother in Christ, Samson.

psalmsinger

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 12:42:37 PM »

I suppose I have had a week to think on these things concering the resurrection of Jesus Christ:)  At a funeral last Saturday, a primitive Baptist elder made the comment that there is only one in heaven with a "human body", everyone else, whom "God loves" is spirit, awaiting resurrection of the "body".  ???   Sometimes "church speak" stimulates my thinking. So I'm thinking and looking up scriptures about about spirit vs. flesh and the resurrection.   He stated this in one of His appearances:

Luke 24:39
39   Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

Of course we are being told about a Glorified, immortal, incorruptible "body", and Jesus, as God, can appear in any way He sees fit.  In my tiny mind, that is the only explanation I can think of.  It is marvelous, the resurrection. Fascinating!   After His resurrection, no one knew Him by sight....it was the sound of His voice and the connection to His Spirit that brought that fact into revelation. After all, His sheep know His Voice and His Spirit.

In John's account of the resurrection, Jesus  breathed on the disciples and said "receive ye the Holy Ghost".  I am assuming since He spoke, it was done.  Evidently, He had the power to impart the Holy Spirit after His resurrection and "ascending" to the Father, while he was still on the earth.  Or is this a spurious scripture.  I haven't looked.

John 20:22
22   And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
(KJV)

John 14:26
26   But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
(KJV)

Wishing you all rest in the blessed hope of the resurrection,

Barbara

Love
TFJ

Evan600

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 12:45:26 PM »

Thank you all for your replies.  I do however need some more clairification and understanding, Lord willing.

I think that the closest thing that I'm seeing right now is from jerreye's post from John 14:10.  That Jesus is in the Father and the Father is in Him.

There's not really a question that it was the Father the raised Him.  It does seem that this verse (John 2:19) is condradicting many others.  Perhaps Ray has some time to answer this?  

Phil3:10

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 02:07:40 PM »

Jason,
AS Ray would say, JESUS and the FATHER are ONE (One SPIRIT). I don't think JESUS could sin because HE and the Father are one and GOD would not let HIM sin in the flesh. The truth that JESUS for 33 plus years did not sin in human form is mind-boggling to me. JESUS was both carnal and divine while on this earth but HE was always in the FATHER and the FATHER in HIM. No relationship akin to this exists and this is why both JESUS and the FATHER are all in all.
GOD gives to HIS elect HIS Holy Spirit but this is in no way a parallel with JESUS and the FATHER. JESUS and the FATHER think, act and exist as one SPIRIT. This is perfection and without comparison. The perfect relationship exists between the perfect GOD"S as this is what the FATHER desires. No jealously, no power grab, no Number 1.  Just to think this relationship will exist through out all one of these days is beyond my feeble comprehension.
This is just my humble opinion and I doubt that it has done much to answer your question.

Little Joe

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 02:56:21 PM »

GOD gives to HIS elect HIS Holy Spirit but this is in no way a parallel with JESUS and the FATHER. JESUS and the FATHER think, act and exist as one SPIRIT. This is perfection and without comparison. The perfect relationship exists between the perfect GOD"S as this is what the FATHER desires. No jealously, no power grab, no Number 1.  Just to think this relationship will exist through out all one of these days is beyond my feeble comprehension.
This is just my humble opinion and I doubt that it has done much to answer your question.

That is beautiful!  That blesses me!

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 03:05:41 PM »

Thank you all for your replies.  I do however need some more clairification and understanding, Lord willing.

I think that the closest thing that I'm seeing right now is from jerreye's post from John 14:10.  That Jesus is in the Father and the Father is in Him.

There's not really a question that it was the Father the raised Him.  It does seem that this verse (John 2:19) is condradicting many others.  Perhaps Ray has some time to answer this?  

You know what it hit me last night jason while i was trying to sleep. It's not that Jesus raised Himself but that because Jesus is God [one with the Father] that since the Father raised Him up, so did He raise Himself but not literaly.

Also we might be looking at a bad translation.. lawl..

bobf

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 01:49:03 AM »

Hi Jason,

Maybe Jesus was speaking of more than just His resurrection. Maybe these false witnesses actually heard part of it right - that Jesus would raise up another temple "made without hands" i.e. His body, His church.

Mark 14:58 We heard him say, I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and within three days I will build another made without hands. 59 But neither so did their witness agree together.

We are the temple "made without hands"

Colossians 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ.

Acts 7:48 Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples
made with hands; as saith the prophet. 49 Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?

Acts 17:24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples
made with hands.

1 Corinthians 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

1 Corinthaisn 12:27 Now
ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

And Christ is the One raising this temple.

Hebrews 3:3 For this man was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who hath builded the house hath more honour than the house. 4  For every house is builded by some man; but he that built all things is God. 5  And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after; 6 But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

Ephesians 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; 21 In whom all
the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: 22  In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

God bless,
Bob

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.