bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Saturn's Moon: Enceladus  (Read 14680 times)

Sorin

Saturn's Moon: Enceladus
« on: March 26, 2008, 12:44:53 AM »

Liquid water on Saturn moon could support life

An enhanced-color image of Enceladus, based on data from the Cassini spacecraft, highlights dark "tiger stripes" in the south polar region. Those stripes are actually fissures that appear to be the source of the Saturnian moon's geysers.

Cassini spacecraft sees signs of geysers on icy Enceladus

Scientists have found evidence that cold, Yellowstone-like geysers of water are issuing from a moon of Saturn called Enceladus, apparently fueled by liquid reservoirs that may lie just tens of yards beneath the moon's icy surface.

The surprising discovery, detailed in Friday's issue of the journal Science, could shoot Enceladus to the top of the list in the search for life elsewhere in our solar system. Scientists described it as the most important discovery in planetary science in a quarter-century.

"I think this is important enough that we will see a redirection in the planetary exploration program," Carolyn Porco, head of the imaging team for the Cassini mission to Saturn, told MSNBC.com. "We've just brought Enceladus up to the forefront as a major target of astrobiological interest."

The readings from Enceladus' geyser plumes indicate that all the prerequisites for life as we know it could exist beneath Enceladus' surface, Porco said.

"Living organisms require liquid water and organic materials, and we know we have both on Enceladus now," she said. "The plumes through which Cassini flew last July contain methane, contain CO2, propane — they contain several organic materials."

The third necessary ingredient — energy for fueling life's processes — could exist around hydrothermal vents around the bottom of Enceladus' water reservoirs, just as it does around Earth's deep-ocean hydrothermal vents.

The results impressed University of Colorado planetary scientist Robert Pappalardo, who has studied Enceladus and other icy moons but was not involved in the newly published research.

"I think the discovery of activity on Enceladus is about the most exciting discovery in planetary science since the volcanoes of Io," he said, referring to the detection of volcanic activity on Jupiter's moon by the Voyager probe in 1979.

The findings unveiled Thursday are based on imagery as well as temperature readings from Cassini, a U.S-European spacecraft that has been studying the ringed planet and its moons since 2004.

The precise sources of the geysers could not be spotted directly, because Cassini's camera isn't quite good enough to spot the bright spray of water and ice crystals against the bright ice on Enceladus' surface, said imaging team member Andrew Ingersoll, an atmospheric scientist at the California Institute of Technology.

However, Cassini's camera repeatedly recorded the spray of ice crystals and water vapor from Enceladus' south polar region, backlit by sunlight. That imagery allowed researchers to trace the source back to the mysterious dark "tiger stripes" previously seen on Enceladus.

Researchers investigated several possibilities for the origin of the geysers, including the idea that the contents were driven by warm ice turning directly into vapor, or consisted of a cometlike slurry of ice and dirt.

The Cassini team found that the spray from the geysers was composed of equal proportions of ice and water vapor. That ruled out the "warm ice" model as well as the "comet" model, Porco said. The best remaining model was that the geyser was driven by liquid water beneath the surface.

"We arrived at our last model, and in some ways somewhat reluctantly, because this is a pretty extraordinary result," she said. "Like [the late astronomer] Carl Sagan was fond of saying, 'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.'"

The imaging team's conclusion was supported by the temperature readings from Cassini's infrared spectrometer: Although the surface temperatures were far below freezing, the readings showed relatively warm spots in the south polar region, centering on the tiger stripes. Scientists traced the internal heating patterns that could create such warm spots, and concluded that temperatures could be above freezing mere yards beneath the surface.

"It can be warm enough 10 meters or so beneath the surface," Porco explained, "and there's enough pressure to keep liquid water stable at that depth."

Still more supporting evidence came from an analysis of the ice surrounding the "tiger stripe" cracks. That ice was amorphous and virtually crater-free, indicating that it welled up relatively recently.

Cassini's images showed that the geysers rose hundreds of miles above the surface. Based on the imagery, researchers concluded that most of the ice crystals fell back to the surface as snow. Some of the ice escaped Enceladus' gravity field to become part of a wide, thin ring of Saturn known as the E ring.

---------------------------------------------

Interesting stuff. I wonder if we will ever find; even microbial life out there somewhere. It's becoming more and more like, why not? With all that we're learning and discovering, about life, our solar system, and even the origins of our own planet.  :)

lilitalienboi16

Re: Saturn's Moon: Enceladus
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 01:53:47 AM »

Well God said that Eve was the mother of all living things.. that means no extra terrestial life forms.. unless eve was responsible for ET as well?  :o

Sorin

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 12:42:05 PM »

Well God said that Eve was the mother of all living things.. that means no extra terrestial life forms.. unless eve was responsible for ET as well?  :o

So Eve is the mother of all living things? Is that why even Adam was created before her? And how is Eve the mother of fish, reptiles, and the foul of the air, etc..., etc..., etc...?

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 06:27:51 PM »

Fish will not become sons of God neither will any ET's be either! :D

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 06:41:49 PM »

Ty artcurus =]

gmik

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 10:26:16 PM »

Really interesting!

Grandma Gena speaking:  Sorin & Alex- you are two really cool, young, single, attractive guys--you should try to get along!!!! :-*

Sorin

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 11:14:13 PM »

I never said they would.

Martinez

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 11:22:52 PM »

Pray that there's intelligent life some out there in space, because there's bugger all down here on earth.

Kat

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 02:16:08 AM »

Gen 3:20 So the man called the name of his wife, Eve,—in that, she, was made mother of every one living. (Rotherham)

Well I think that Scripture is saying that Eve was the predecessor of all human life that was to come.  Every human being that has lived (except Adam) is a descendant of Eve.

Just say God put life on other planets, I don't think it would be human.  As Christ is the Savior of all mankind here and now on the earth, as this Scripture states...

1Tim 4:10  For to this end we both labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe.

It is only THIS world that Christ will rule and reign over and save.

Rev 11:15  And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign forever and ever.

Anyway why would God put intelligent life on another planet?  He could not make this one big enough for all He wanted to create on it?  Or would He need human life spread out among other planets so if we mess up and destroy this planet, all will not be lost?  As Ray would say, I speak as a fool   ;)

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Sorin

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 02:56:19 AM »

I'm fully aware that if we should discover intelligent life on other planets, the bible would become useless. You don't have to tell me that.
But that doesn't mean I'm going to ignore scientific evidence because it might prove my religion false.

Religion without science is blind, science without religion is lame.

Kat

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 10:58:46 AM »

Hi Sorin,

I do enjoy looking at the stars and seeing what the Hubble telescope finds out there.  I think that if you pay attention to the scientific evidence a lot of the things about creation come into better focus.  Real science supports the Truth.

I just happen to believe there is no other life in the universe and there is no scientific evidence otherwise.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Sorin

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 11:47:30 AM »

Hi Sorin,

I do enjoy looking at the stars and seeing what the Hubble telescope finds out there.  I think that if you pay attention to the scientific evidence a lot of the things about creation come into better focus.  Real science supports the Truth.

Kat,

What is The Truth? That an almighty Creator created this universe, and all life, but only here on earth, because He sent His only Son to die for our sins, not Martians' sins, etc... 

Yet you haven't any proof to support it. Yet in that 2012 thread, everybody had the gall to ask for evidence, as if they would never believe in anything without evidence. Am I the only one who sees the irony in that?

And that other one had the gall to imply that I can't prove what I am talking about. As if I were speaking of some religion without proof
or at least weird coincidences to it.

The Mayans studied the cosmos, they knew the Sun will be perfectly aligned, scientists had concurred. What more proof do you need?
The kind that you have, that Jesus rose from the dead? That kind of proof?

O the gall on that guy!

I just happen to believe there is no other life in the universe and there is no scientific evidence otherwise.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

That's cool, you can believe what you want. Though we do know, that if you follow the water, you will eventually find life. And beneath Mars' polar ice caps,  there is good evidence to suggest that there may be at least microbial life there. And Scientists are excited about Enceladus too.  :)

Kat

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 01:29:57 PM »

Hi Sorin,

I am trying to base my understanding of things on the belief that there is God and He is the Creator and is working out a plan.  Now my final source for Truth is Scripture, the original writings not Bibles so much. 
I believe that the Truth has only been revealed to a few and so in my estimation that leaves out most scientist.  If they reveal from the evidence what they find, then I think it is good info.  But I think a lot of them have agendas, like trying to make things fit according to their idea of evolution.  So I think they believe if life managed to get started here on earth according to the idea of evolution, then it probably is somewhere else out there too.  That is not the way I think on this. 
I showed you the Scriptures as to why I believe that the earth is the only planet with life on it. 

I don't discount that the Mayans were able to learn about planetary movement in some way.  These were intelligent people.  What I found was they have calendars with hundreds of celestial/terrestrial cycles which they observed and inscribed as separate calendars (all of infinite duration).  And they actually show a transits of Venus crossing the Sun and this is among the rarest of planetary alignments. 
The date December 21st, 2012 A.D. (13.0.0.0.0 in the Long Count), represents an extremely close conjunction of the Winter Solstice Sun with the crossing point of the Galactic Equator (Equator of the Milky Way) and the Ecliptic (path of the Sun), what that ancient Maya recognized as the Sacred Tree.  But this was a part of their pagan religion.   They did not know the Truth of this creation, they did have accurate evidence of some planetary cycles, but they didn't know what to do with it. 
The Maya priest had the job of interpreting these cycles and giving a prophetic outlook on the future or past based on the number relations of all their calendars. If the interpretations of the priests spelled bad times to come, sacrifices would be performed to change the moods of the gods. Sacrifices might be small animals like chickens, or "bloodletting" by high officials, and sometimes included human sacrifices. They would engage in rituals such as cutting their own ears, tongues, and penises with the intention of satisfying the gods. (Wikipedia)
So they had knowledge, but not understanding of how to use it.

I hope you see this as a discussion of our thoughts on these matters and not a debate, even though we may disagree some.  I think it's just nice to share these matters that we have similar interest in  :)

mercy, peace and love
Kat

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 04:24:58 PM »

I concur with you kat.

I Just wanted to add to this discusion that the discovery of a geyser on this moon' surface does not suddenly mean their is life on that planet. It's wonderful that scientists can observe such things from our planet, infact i am currently studying to be a doctor and will have to undertake a heavy amount of science. However that doesn't mean that i should loose focus of the prize or the understanding God has given me because science is capable of exploreing and explaining this natural world around us. Likewise, with this discovery does not come the fact that their exists life on this moon as well.

That has yet to be proven and evidence to be shown. Much like evolution remains a theory yet to be proven and evidence to be shown. I will learn much more about evolution as i delve deeper into these sciences due to the requirements for my pre-med bachelor's degree, but i am prepared and look at it as a chance to better educate myself on a popular theory which many people embrace. I know with God on my side i can see past this delusion and strengthan my understanding of it to be better prepared to give an answer for the hope that lies within me.

God be with you,

Alex

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 04:44:56 PM »

Though we do know, that if you follow the water, you will eventually find life.

I sometimes think (that is not a joke :D)  I think of all the people who ever lived, estimates are 100 Billion and all the Galaxies (not planets, but galaxies) estimated at 200 billion.  Jesus is preparing a place for us, what if one of those billions of galaxies has our name on it.  If they are being prepared then water underneath the crusts of some of these planets are just setting there waiting for someone to tap them and for them to spring forth life.  Maybe we are the someone?

Craig

Martinez

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 06:46:02 PM »

Though we do know, that if you follow the water, you will eventually find life.

I sometimes think (that is not a joke :D)  I think of all the people who ever lived, estimates are 100 Billion and all the Galaxies (not planets, but galaxies) estimated at 200 billion.  Jesus is preparing a place for us, what if one of those billions of galaxies has our name on it.  If they are being prepared then water underneath the crusts of some of these planets are just setting there waiting for someone to tap them and for them to spring forth life.  Maybe we are the someone?

Craig

What, you mean like, one priest or king and group of redeemed mankind per galaxy?

Craig

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 06:59:50 PM »

What, do you mean like, one priest or king and group of redeemed mankind per galaxy?

No, one galaxy for my creation ;D

Craig

Kat

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 08:10:57 PM »

Hey Craig,

But you said there was twice as many galaxies as the estimate of humans, so maybe there is a spare galaxy in case we mess up the first one  ;D

But I've wondered if the earth could be a sort of blueprint for later on, if you think about all the diversity of life on this earth, lots have already become extinct.  But there have been people all through history that have witnessed these different species, maybe they would be able to bring them back on other planets.  Well the possibilities would be endless.  Just something to think on.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Martinez

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 08:25:32 PM »

What, do you mean like, one priest or king and group of redeemed mankind per galaxy?

No, one galaxy for my creation ;D

Craig

Looking forward to playing God are we?

;D

Craig

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 08:26:50 PM »

It would beat playing a harp on a cloud for eternity ;)

Craig
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 22 queries.