bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Names?  (Read 11024 times)

alucard

Names?
« on: May 09, 2006, 03:07:38 PM »

this is something i've had on my mind lately.is there a name for people that think the way we do or did people just say the way we think isn't worth being called anything wich i would prefer.i know you can say christian but that's basiclly the belief in christ so even satanist could be considered christians.strange thing some people are starting to say if you don't believe the trinity your not even christian.people might consider use unitarians but they seem to be like a cults and were kind of independent from each other and think differently at times.

alucard

Names?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 03:31:46 PM »

Quote from: bobbys43
I myself use Follower of Christ and when asked what denomination I belong to I use the answer that Ray gave for a person that emailed him asking Ray what denomination he belongs to:

THE SAME ONE JESUS BELONGS TO

bobby

LOL! yeah i knew that and it sure is great but an athiest wouldn't agree with that and i was wondering if someone like that had named the way we think besides crazy.mentioning athiest remember charles darwin now this is irony people always try to use his evolution theory to prove there is no god but he believed there was a god he was a thiest wich is a person who isn't aware of any gods or someone that believes in a god but isn't sure who or what god.i thought people would be interested in knowing that

Mickyd

Names?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 03:38:31 PM »

Early followers of Christ simply called it "The Way" or "The Way of the Nazarine". But, the title "The Way" has been used by far too many cults that didn't really know "The Way".

I too simply prefer to be called a follower of Christ....If I must put a name on it.

Andrew

Names?
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 04:35:07 PM »

1Pe 4:16  Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

Χριστιανός
Christianos
khris-tee-an-os'
From G5547; a Christian, that is, follower of Christ: - Christian.

It's a shame the word Christian is thrown around so loosely in the world today. To be a Christian is to be a follower of Christ.

Mat 16:24  Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
Act 11:26  And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

Now what does it take to be a Christian, to be a true follower of Christ?

Luk 6:46  And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
Luk 6:47  Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them,
Luk 6:48  He is like a man which built a house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.

Well I better quit before this turns into a sermon :lol:

May the Lord Bless You and Keep You.

Andrew

Mickyd

Names?
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 05:06:06 PM »

I wonder what our new name will be when Christ gives it to us in the end of the age?

bobby

Children of God?

sparkyman481

Names?
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 11:07:40 PM »

Hello Alucard,

This comes to mind to me.

Joh 8:31  Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
Joh 8:32  And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

orion77

Names?
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 11:25:35 PM »

Been called every name under the sun, since being brought into the light.  99.99% of them are not good, true or right.  I too, don't like the words christian, because it carries along with it the worldly carnally minded christendom doctrines.  

I think a name in this world brings upon itself a label and causes division.  Hence the many denominations, which overall has watered down the name of christianity.  So, what do we call ourselves?  Good question?

Chapters in Isiah 65 and 66 are good.  We are the slain of the Lord, whose beast was made known and destroyed, no longer living as before, having a new name.  This name can only be known by the one receiving it.  We follow Jesus in a way that is not physical, in need of recognition, for it is no longer us who lives, but He who is in us.

Christian, babtist, mormon, catholic, methodist, lutheran, non-denominational, etc, etc, etc, or any other name that can be thought of.  We are of, in and under Christ.  It is Him and His name only that lives.  All these other names are names of dead men or ideas.  

What makes us different than others is in His good pleasure, plan and purpose.  So, should we call ourselves overcomers, the chosen, the elect, children of God, or many other names God calls us.  I think this is something that only you and God can know.  He knows His own and they know His voice.

God bless,

Gary

Mickyd

Names?
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 12:08:42 AM »

Personally, I think that if we know God and he knows us, then let God call us what he wills. I'm not worried about putting a name on it.

I'm not out to make an impression on the carnal world. I think that if this ever grows into something like that, then we're moving in the wrong direction.

Sorin

Names?
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 12:51:39 AM »

Quote from: Mickyd
I think that if this ever grows into something like that, then we're moving in the wrong direction.

I concur.

Mark J.

Names?
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 01:00:33 PM »

What's in a name?

I know it seems natural when you have like minded people in a group such as this that it's natural to want to put a label on it. Personally I think Mickyd is on the right track. If it grows into a large named organisation then we're moving in the wrong direction. Then follows inter group politics, an organised heirarchy, people trying to climb the inter church ladder, back biting and then ultimately the break away groups.

This is why I bailed out on church in the first place all those years ago.

We are here now because God led Ray to some spiritual truths and likewise led us to share in those truths with him.

God put this together. Let Him name it if he sees it right to do so.

I'm here to learn and to fellowship with like minded believers that have Jesus firmly planted in his rightful place as the head of this gathering.

Oops. I'm waffling.

lilitalienboi16

Names?
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 01:31:06 PM »

Somone once asked me what church i belonged too, because of being in the LIGHT.

I told them, "None, i belong to the body of Christ."

So the head of the body being JESUS CHRIST :)

Sons of God sounds very nice, i think thats what we are called.

"All whom the Lord loves He Chastises and you are sons, and if you be not sons then you are ********."

I think thats how the verse roughly goes.

"Let us press on toward perfection in Christ Jesus." :)

Mickyd

Names?
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 10:30:17 PM »

It appears to me that this name christian was given by those individuals that did not believe in Christ!

I read somewhere that the title of "Christian" was given to the followers of Christ by the Pharisees. I can't remember where I read this....so I can't varify it to be true.

Sorin

Names?
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 10:58:29 PM »

Quote from: Mickyd
It appears to me that this name christian was given by those individuals that did not believe in Christ!

I read somewhere that the title of "Christian" was given to the followers of Christ by the Pharisees. I can't remember where I read this....so I can't varify it to be true.

See, so it's not a good name anyway. :lol:

JDH

Re: Names?
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 03:32:41 PM »

I know what you mean about worrying about being called Christians and its negative connotations but the true meaning of the word is a follower of Christ.  I truly could think of no better compliment than that.  Whatever the connations that have been given to it because of those who profess Christ but do not follow Christ, do not change the actual meaning of the word. I am a follower of Chirst and am proud to be called a Chirstian.  When asked by people what I believe, I do not answer with hell, fire and brimstone as many "christians" might.  I answer with love, as Jesus would have us do. It gets to be hard to bear the misconceptions of others, but even those who profess Christ and do not seem to be acting in such a manner may just be on the same path to understanding as we are, but on a different level. As such I realize that they are truly brothers and sisters and am willing to bear the misconceptions, knowing that I have sinned and maybe even given others misconceptions about what being a Christian means.
But as Dennis Miller says, "thats just my opinion, I could be wrong.
JDH

gmik

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 01:09:45 AM »

A rose by anyother name would smell as sweet.

I usually just say I am a believer.

I think most of christendom calls us heretics not just generic.

Our actions speak way louder than what we call ourselves anyway. I had to take off my "christian" bumper sticker cuz I would speed  :-[ and didn't want to be  a bad witness!!

Kat

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 01:48:19 PM »

Rev 2:17  If you have ears, listen to what the Spirit says to the churches. To everyone who wins the victory, I will give some of the hidden food. I will also give each one a white stone with a new name written on it. No one will know that name except the one who is given the stone.

I did a little research on the " white stone with the new name written on it."
This is just a llittle info about the subject matter here.

Ray's  Lake of Fire - part Vlll

http://bible-truths.com/lake8.html

"…and will give him a white stone and a in the stone a new name" (Ver. 17)

Now we learned that this stone is really a pebble which is a symbol for a ballot, which acquits us of guilt and justifies us, allowing for our admission or entrance into the Kingdom, signed and signified by Jesus Himself. If we continue to overcome, this white signed, ballot stone of entrance into the Kingdom is waiting for us with OUR NAME on it. Remember "as Jesus is, SO ARE WE…" His name is OUR name.

Gill's commentary of the Bible
And in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth, saving he that receiveth it; by this name may be meant, either the name of "Jehovah" our righteousness, which is the name both of Christ, and of his church, Jer_23:6, or the name of a child of God, sometimes called a new name; see Isa_56:5; and so designs the blessing of adoption; this may be said to be a new name, because renewed, manifested to, and put upon the people of God, when they are made new creatures, though provided in predestination, and in the covenant of grace from eternity; and because a renowned and excellent one, better than that of the sons and daughters of the greatest prince on earth; and because a wonderful one, being an instance of amazing love and grace; and is what "no man knoweth", but the receiver of it; the Father of these adopted ones is unknown to natural men; and so is Christ, through whom this blessing is bestowed; and the Spirit of God also, who witnesses to it; and the persons that enjoy it, and the blessing itself, and the inheritance to which they are adopted: and this new name being on the white stone, may show that the blessings of justification and adoption, though they are two distinct ones, yet they are inseparable: they go together, and both give a right to the heavenly inheritance; and they are also, as well as the hidden manna, gifts of free grace, and not owing to the works and merit of men, and are given by Christ, and in and through him. At Rome, some white stones have been dug up, some lesser, some greater, with names and letters, and other engravings upon them, which Pignorius (t) has given the figures of; and to such some have thought the allusion here is, and may serve to illustrate this passage. The Ethiopic version, instead of a "white stone", reads, a "famous book",

Nave's Topical Bible
A new name given to persons who have spiritual adoption:
General references
Isa_62:2
To Abraham
Gen_17:5
To Sarah
Gen_17:15
To Jacob
Gen_32:28
To Paul
Act_13:9

I'm thinking this name, as more of a spiritual thing, is not meant to be a label.

Kat

SteveW

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2006, 03:40:45 PM »

Sons of God reminds me too much of the "manifest sons of God" theology of the Latter Rain movement.

Apostacy ruins another good phrase!

hbiytm

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2006, 05:17:48 PM »

Our actions speak way louder than what we call ourselves anyway. I had to take off my "christian" bumper sticker cuz I would speed  :-[ and didn't want to be  a bad witness!!
   :D lol, that is funny because I thought I was the only one who had thoughts like that. I used to have a fish emblem on the back of my vehicle.

Sorin

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2006, 01:08:14 PM »

I once said: "I'm anti-christian but not anti-Christ". They would usually give you a face like  ???

:D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 01:09:32 PM by Sorin »

mongoose

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 01:26:59 PM »

I once said: "I'm anti-christian but not anti-Christ". They would usually give you a face like ???

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  That's a good one!  Did anyone dare ask?

mongoose
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.