bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Real life application  (Read 6383 times)

excellenttrader

Real life application
« on: April 06, 2008, 09:43:27 PM »

Hey Gang,

I've recently been re-reading the lake of fire series and in there I came across Ray talking about Eve and her eating of the fruit.  Ray explains how Eve violated all three areas listed below in 1 John when she did eat the fruit.

"Love not the world, neither the things are are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is NOT IN HIM.  For [here's the reason why] ALL that is in the world, [1] the LUST OF THE FLESH, and [2] the LUST OF THE EYES, and [3] the PRIDE OF LIFE, is not of the Father, but is of the world" (I John 2:15-16).

This got me to thinking about how this scripture relates to me in my daily life, in practical terms.  I found that its a bit hard for me to see where the line is at times.  An easy example for me is if I see a pretty gal.  If I continue to linger and contemplate I can see where I'm now guilty of lust of the eyes and/or flesh.  But, a not so easy example for me is getting a new car.  My old truck has seen better days, so I'll soon need something else.  I've always wanted a convertible and in and of itself I don't think there's anything wrong with that.  But what's the test I can give myself to see if this is really pride of life or lust of the eyes?  Its not price I don't think.  Its not gas mileage:)  I'm also looking to buy a home soon and can see a similar challenge there as I have with the car.

Maybe it should be easier to decide if i'm in violation in a certain area, but in some cases it really seems to me that I could justify things more than one way. 

Looking forward to everyone's input,

Mike

rjsurfs

Re: Real life application
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 10:46:35 PM »

Hi Mike,

To quote Ray:

"The more you SEE your sins and shortcomings, the more you will DESIRE to rid yourself of these things. We are crucified WITH CHRIST, yet we live, but the life we live is one of OVERCOMING THE SINS FOR WHICH WE AND CHRIST DIED FOR.

We have been HAND-PICKED by God to be in His kingdom. Now we must go through the training course that He has set before us.  Jesus said that He overcame THE WORLD. We too are to overcome THE WORLD. It's a HUGE task, that requires the power of SPIRIT to accomplish.

Don't become discouraged in well-doing. You will triumph in Christ if you have His spirit working in you. God will even give you the DESIRE to want to do right and be right.

This life is a life of SPIRITUAL WARFARE. There will be many battles before the final victory. So we must endure and we must overcome. For those whom God has chosen, this will be accomplished!"

Just relax and keep studying... it will all work out.  God will bring you to hate your sins and strengthen you to overcome.

Bobby

Matt

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 01:42:29 AM »

Mike,
 Just the fact that you are asking these kinds of questions tells me that you are already on the right track! :)
 I am not qualified to give you anything more than my opinions, but continue to seek the answers in this manner, and God will show you the right ones!
Matt

hebrewroots98

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 01:58:56 AM »

Hi Mike,
You are on the right track, Gods spirit is opening your eyes and you are learning well.   Keep up your obedient heart and you will look back in a year from now and you will be amazed at how much you have grown.  Good point with your correlation between the scripture in 1John and with Eve. :D

phazel

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 02:20:43 AM »

I grew up being chastised for wanting almost anything.  For a long time I resented my parents for depriving me of things I wanted,  once I got out on my own I pretty much got over  that because I was able to earn money save and get things.

But, there was a transition of resentment, I often had buyers remorse over simple things that I bought myself because of the negative template that always surrounded getting something that I didn't have to have.

But, even though it happened late in life,  I was thankful for what happened to me as I see it was a transition to see how material things should be.

I don't believe there is any sin in wanting a material item that is bought out of the simple motivation of having it, wanting it and enjoying it just because of that.

Whether it be a rusty pinto or a lamborghini,  its all the same.

The second that material item causes any sense that you are better than someone else, having it is a sin, the item itself does not matter a hill of beans.

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 02:29:22 AM »

Hey Mike!
I ask myself these kind of questions all the time. I've even got into arguments withs friends with this subject.
I desire a new car, a new house, a great job and lots of money but I also realize that these things will profit me nothing.
I know if I got all that I want from life I would turn from God.
I want a wife and family! Sometimes I believe that too is pride and lust.
I feel that anything I give a great amount of time too other than studying, I would soon turn those things into an idol.
I guess I'm saying I know what your going through.
Its hard to convince people why you don't want a fancy car or a big house or lots of money!
Also a successful job!! To be the CEO or President of the company or even own your company.
These things people seem to want out of life, anything else other than these I'm an outcast or just "weird"

Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

Robin

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 05:21:03 AM »

I remember reading The Confessions of St. Augustine a very long time ago. I can't remember the words he used, but he was talking about the sin of desiring the taste of good food. I threw my hands up at that point and thought I could spend an eternity trying to pick the fly poop out of the pepper.

Ray said something that stuck with me. He said we can only make choices from what we desire and ONLY God can change our desires. I have to remind myself to take my eyes off of myself and put them on God.

Hebrews 12:2
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Chris R

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 07:50:46 AM »

Hey Gang,

I've recently been re-reading the lake of fire series and in there I came across Ray talking about Eve and her eating of the fruit.  Ray explains how Eve violated all three areas listed below in 1 John when she did eat the fruit.

"Love not the world, neither the things are are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is NOT IN HIM.  For [here's the reason why] ALL that is in the world, [1] the LUST OF THE FLESH, and [2] the LUST OF THE EYES, and [3] the PRIDE OF LIFE, is not of the Father, but is of the world" (I John 2:15-16).

This got me to thinking about how this scripture relates to me in my daily life, in practical terms.  I found that its a bit hard for me to see where the line is at times.  An easy example for me is if I see a pretty gal.  If I continue to linger and contemplate I can see where I'm now guilty of lust of the eyes and/or flesh.  But, a not so easy example for me is getting a new car.  My old truck has seen better days, so I'll soon need something else.  I've always wanted a convertible and in and of itself I don't think there's anything wrong with that.  But what's the test I can give myself to see if this is really pride of life or lust of the eyes?  Its not price I don't think.  Its not gas mileage:)  I'm also looking to buy a home soon and can see a similar challenge there as I have with the car.

Maybe it should be easier to decide if i'm in violation in a certain area, but in some cases it really seems to me that I could justify things more than one way. 

Looking forward to everyone's input,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I think thats a pretty good question, we all have had those feelings, not some of us, but all of us.
And your correct, I dont believe the price of these things matter much, it all depends on where our heart is.
Does that mean we should all trade our cars in on a horse and buggy?...I wouldnt think so.
Should we spend our money on a "ugly" car? to satisify our carnal desire to be more righteous??

A wise man once said "To the pure of heart ALL things are pure" .

Peace

Chris R

psalmsinger

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 08:40:02 AM »

Mike, May the desires of His heart be the desires of your heart also.  Our merciful God provides for our blessings as well as our needs in His perfect will :) Anything in this world can become an idol if the heart perceives it that way.  It's a heart condition.  Ataiwan, I know from experience that "studying the bible" can also be a great big idol of the heart.  "Knowing about" or having knowledge of our Father and His Christ is different than actually "knowing" His heart. 

Rest in the Lord,
Barbara

Kat

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 12:16:21 PM »

This is the conclusion that Solomon came to.

Ecc 2:8  I also gathered for myself silver and gold and the treasure of kings and provinces; I got singers, both men and women, and many concubines, man's delight.
v. 9  So I became great and surpassed all who were before me in Jerusalem; also my wisdom remained with me.
v. 10  And whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them; I kept my heart from no pleasure, for my heart found pleasure in all my toil, and this was my reward for all my toil.
v. 11  Then I considered all that my hands had done and the toil I had spent in doing it, and behold, all was vanity and a striving after wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun.

Ecc 12:13  The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God, and keep his commandments; for this is the whole duty of man.
v. 14  For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.

Heb 13:5  Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."

I think our ultimate goal is to be "content with such things as you have," not that I have gotten there yet. 
If God so blesses you with nice things, I see no need to reject them.
But hopefully these things will not gain more attention from us than our spiritual needs.  Remember the Parable of the Rich Fool.

Luk 12:19  And I will say to my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry."'
v. 20  But God said to him, "Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?'
v. 21  "So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."

Just for thought.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

joyful1

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 12:30:19 PM »

;D Mike! Buy the convertible!   ;D

excellenttrader

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 01:08:07 AM »

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input.  There's some excellent perspective and scripture for me here to review. 

I forget which chapter I was reading in the lake of fire series that had these verses from 1 John, but I found it interesting that I had never really noticed them before and yet they hit me harder than anything else in the chapter this time around.

Its been extremely interesting (at least to me anyway) to think about each type of sin and see whether it falls under lust of the eyes, lust of the flesh or pride of life. 

Its also been very enlightening for me to look at all the different areas of my life and evaluate it with these verses in mind.  As you can imagine, my future car choice is just the tip of the iceberg.  I've also been looking at my relationships, conversations, career choices (this is a really big one for me that I'm analyzing right now), activities, you name it.

I'm excited about this new phase in my relationship with God and really curious to see what and how larger decisions and actions will be affected in my life in the near future as a result:)

Though I must admit that I'm partial to joyful1's advise the most  ;D ;D

Thanks again and I'll be back soon with another question or three.

Mike

winner08

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 02:48:25 AM »

Mike: I had a friend ask me why would God make a man rich. She got me thinking. God will, will be done. Not ours. so if a man becomes rich or has nice things, this is the way God wants it. Most of us want nice things. If it's Gods will then I see no need for guilty feelings. I'm probaley missing the whole point here, and I'm sorry if I said somthing wrong here. I'm the last one that should be putting my 2 cents in. I feel that you're going through something here and I just wanted to give you a different point of view.

Thank you ,,Darren
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.