bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: old testament laws  (Read 6786 times)

Extol

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
old testament laws
« on: April 09, 2008, 01:10:16 PM »

Hi everyone,
 Has Ray written about or had Bible studies concerning the Old Testament laws? A lot of them are difficult for me to understand. For example, what is the spiritual message of things like this?

Leviticus 10:6--Do not let your hair become unkempt, and do not tear your clothes, or you will die and the LORD will be angry with the whole community.

Deuteronomy 22:5-- A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this.

Another thing I wonder about is all of the 'slaughter' in the Old Testament. People point to the violence in the O.T. [and the 'slavery'] and use it to criticize Christianity. I want to be ready to give an answer, and I want to know myself what these things mean! I believe in all of Scripture, and I don't believe any of it contradicts, but I don't know the meaning of a lot of the Old Testament. I think the simple answer [if there is one  ;)] is: 'It's all a parable'....but a parable of what? Overcoming the Beast?

Deborah-Leigh

Re: old testament laws
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 05:40:56 PM »

Hello Extol

I think what also might help is understanding that the Word of God is not literal. It may have been in the OT days but not now. There is a spiritual significance to the OT Words of God that surpass their traditional literal applications.

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

KristaD

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 06:22:09 PM »

The way I understand it is that the OT is the law and the NT is grace. It basically tells us how things are without our saviour. For example we are told "an eye for an eye" but in the NT we are told to "turn the other cheek." With those things you mentioned also they are physical laws for the people without Jesus, but Jesus came and fufilled the law and gave us much deeper spiritual laws. When people ask me about things in the OT I simply tell them it is life before Jesus to illustrate the difference b/w then and after He came and died for our sins. The OT and it's laws are important but we are no longer bound by those b/c Jesus fulfilled them (He was PERFECT for us) and God no longer cares if our hair is messy or we wear pants b/c He sees us through Jesus but He does expect us to turn from sin and forgive as we are forgiven. Hope that helps some, sorry I can't give specific scriptures or anything I am nursing my baby and making dinner and typing with one hand:D

winner08

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 01:47:41 AM »

Extol: If you go to transcript's of Ray's audio"s You will find a very interesting teaching on the sabbath. The post has alot of great information on the old testament. About the old law. I think you'll enjoy it. (I know you will). Also check out Rays other emails. I believe it's under, categorized emails. They have many more emails that have been sent to Ray over the yrs. with many many questions on ever subject you can imagine. (There great).

God bless you, Darren
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 01:57:04 AM by winner08 »

Kitt

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 01:57:46 AM »

As for Deut 22:5, That pertains to cross dressing which was considered in the Pre Messianic Scriptures (Old Testament) times to be a homosexual thing.  Those were laws for all of the children of Israel and from what I see scriptural for today too.  What more can I say about that including the anti homosexual things in the Messianic Scriptures, (New Testament).

The scripture that you quoted in Leviticus, 10:6 about hair being unkempt and tearing clothes was for Aaron and his sons, (the priesthood), only.  This was for when they were inside of the Tent Of Meeting, performing their priestly duties. This particular thing occurred after  Aaron and his sons had just been anointed as priests for the first time ever.  That rule did not apply to the common Israelite or even the Levites. 

The actual translation for unkempt hair is to unbind the head, (take off the priestly turban) and tearing the garments would have exposed their flesh.  You have to understand that these people had just lost two sons/brothers to the fire of Yahveh because they brought strange fire into the Tent of Meeting.  The mourning customs called for tearing of the clothing.  This would have been a loss of decorum (profaning the Tent of Meeting) before Yahveh and all of Israel which would have resulted in the deaths of Aaron and his sons.  Aaron and his sons just had to buck up and complete their ordination service before they could mourn their loss.

This actual law has no equivalent spiritual value for us today any more than it had any hold over the rest of the children of Israel then.

Hope this gives a little insight.

Kitt

hebrewroots98

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 11:23:29 AM »

Ha, as often as I have read those Old Testament passages, I never ever thought about those scriptures in light of cross dressing; however, (the lightbulb goes off...) Now I can see it, lol.  Thanks for the insight Kitt.

gmik

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 01:42:09 PM »

:D :D

Susan, you are so funny!  I miss you when you don't post :-*

Akira329

• "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 09:44:26 PM »

Hey Guys,
I was wondering as I do sometimes,
Don't all the laws have a spiritual application or meaning??
If I wear a dress(and by the way I don't ;D) isn't it my intentions that condemns me??
I guess the same for women??
Mind you I have no problem with women wearing pants but I think thats a cultural thing.
I do however would feel uneased by a man in a dress!!
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

Craig

• There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 10:09:14 PM »

I do however would feel uneased by a man in a dress!!

That really hurts my feelings :'(

Craig

hillsbororiver

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 10:37:08 PM »

;D

Was that your prison wedding pic?  :P

Vangie

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 11:42:10 PM »

Craig, your makeup looks just marvelous, dahling.

Akira329

• "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 09:50:45 AM »

That was funny Craig :D!!!!
I guess it could work out huh, ??? :D
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

indianabob

Re: old testament laws, Craig
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 10:43:12 AM »

Folks,

What I noted immediately in Craig's reply is that he had only ten minutes to find that photo of himself in a wedding dress.
Now, that is what I call being prepared for every situation.  Hhmmmmmm ? ??

Bob

Craig

• There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 11:12:56 AM »

The real dilemma was deciding whether to post my wedding photo or my beach photo. ;)

Craig

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 11:44:11 PM »

ROFL @ craig!

Vangie

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 04:31:14 PM »

I bet in scivvies Craig's a little "hard looking" too--especially women's scivvies.   :o 

winner08

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 05:27:08 PM »

To get back to the subject of the old testament. I myself still has a hard time about God ,the One who insturcted the Isrealites to kill everybody and everthing that lives when they take over a country by force. But then again who am to understand these thing of God. It be be confusing to say the least.

Darren

Kitt

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 11:42:24 PM »

Hey Darren,

Torah is a type of what Messiah Yeshua was going to teach during his ministry.  All of those people were put under the ban because Yahveh was giving the Israelites their inheritance.  Yahveh told them if they left any of those people alive that it would be only a matter of time before the Israelites would be turning to Idols, especially when their sons began marrying the pagan women.  (A little leaven leavens the whole lump)  Anyone ever heard of Solomon?  That's what he did in his old age.  Yahveh had a plan he knew that the Israelites were a stiff necked people and would not follow his word.  This is what made way for salvation to come to the gentiles, (nations other than Israel).

Kitt
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.