bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Question  (Read 6680 times)

Little Joe

My Question
« on: April 11, 2008, 10:36:00 AM »

Good morning everyone,

I am going to ask this question, because I know I'll get some consistent answers here - sometimes in our walk with the Lord, we here too many voices - some of which come from your own carnality, then confusion sets in.  I won't respond, except with a "thank you" at the end. 

Besides the obvious benefit of "ruling and reigning with Him", what does being "In Christ" mean to you?

Joe

Kat

Re: My Question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 12:38:18 PM »

Hi Joe,

Well to me being "in Christ" is having His Holy Spirit indwelling. 
Before the Spirit of Christ comes, it's like not having both oars in the water.  No matter how fast you paddle you're just going in circles and not getting anywhere.

For those few that are chosen God's gives them grace, which is divine influence from God upon our hearts.  The Bible study 'Saved By Grace Thru Faith' is all about this; http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,5417.0.html

Still using the oars analogy, with the indwelling of Christ's spirit now you have both oars in the water and now you can get somewhere.  But 'you' are not accomplishing anything actually, it is the spirit within that is giving you grace (divine influence on the heart), so that through you God is working.

2Co 4:6  For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
v. 7  But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us.
v. 8  We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;
v. 9  persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed--
v. 10  always carrying about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body.

That says it all to me, to be "in Christ" is to have a knowledge of God.  It starts out small, but it grows everyday, as you are being made into His image.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 12:41:27 PM by Kat »

hebrewroots98

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 12:51:14 PM »

Hi Little Joe,
in answer to your question, BEING IN CHRIST means to me several things.  First of all, it means CHRIST BEING IN ME; this lowly, human, sinful carnal minded vessle and HIS HOLY SPIRIT residing in this TEMPLE OF GOD!  WOW!   It means that no matter how miserable WE fail, HE is always there to love, forgive, and endure with us in order to perfect us into HIS way of thinking and living.  We are HIS ambassadors in this earth and WE represent CHRIST in this fallen world.  HE counts on US to reach those whom HE directs us to.  Christ living in me gives me strength, hope, direction and excitement!  Christ gives me the assureance that this earth is not all that there is!   HE gives me strenght when I am weary and joy in my spirit and HE meets my every need.  HE IS LITERALLY THE HOPE THAT IS WITHING ME AND THAT KEEPS ME ON THE STRAIGHT AND NARROW PATH WHICH LEADS TO HIM (RIGHTEOUSNESS.)  HE IS THE JOY OF MY SALVATION.  Being in Christ is a process of Christ perfecting my thinking and perfecting my righteousness.  

However, BEING IN CHRIST is also a HUGE RESPONSIBILITY!  We are more accountable for HIM being in us; HE has given us truths that HE has not given to others; HE expects alot from us b/c HE has given us alot!  BEING IN CHRIST MEANS THAT WE ARE HIS BUDDIES AND THAT HE LOVES  US LIKE NO OTHERS.  AND HE CAN COUNT ON US (when HE cannot count on too many others!)  It means that we are certainly HIS CHOSEN/CALLED; and working toward being HIS ELECT...TO WHERE ONE DAY WE WILL RULE ALONG SIDE OF HIM ...WHO IS IN US THEN TOO! :o ;D  

thank you for writing this and giving me the opportunity to relfect on what is really most important in our everyday lives...CHRIST LIVING IN US :D

phazel

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 01:47:28 PM »

Good morning everyone,

I am going to ask this question, because I know I'll get some consistent answers here - sometimes in our walk with the Lord, we here too many voices - some of which come from your own carnality, then confusion sets in.  I won't respond, except with a "thank you" at the end. 

Besides the obvious benefit of "ruling and reigning with Him", what does being "In Christ" mean to you?

Joe

Yeah I  think the little angel and devil really  ARE on each of my shoulders sometimes.    ;D

Seriously, being in Christ to me is possibly explained with this example.

I was driving home from work one day and as I was pulling into my driveway there was a guy walking on the street, he had his back to me and I instantly knew without making a judgment, without analyzing who it might be or what the person looked like.  It was instant knowledge that the person was going to ask me for money and that I was to give what I had in my wallet.

As I got out of the truck,  there he was in front of me asking for money, without hesitation or words I pulled out my wallet handed him what cash I had,  without remorse without pride without any judgement or negative thought,  just a hope that it meant something godly to him.   

He thanked me and went on his way.   

Soon after I realized that Jesus had overcome my flesh in a way that is hard to explain,  it was not a feeling of force, was not a thought that it was against my will,  but it was an awareness that it was not me.

winner08

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 03:11:47 PM »

Little Joe: What a great question. I'm sure you'll get all kinds of answers. Unfortunately I can't even begin to give an opinion on this matter. I have this constant struggle within myself, is Christ in me? Do I have the Holy Spirit guiding me? For over 20yrs. I was learning from a false teacher, I thought I had Christ in me then. What a shock to found out I didn't. Anyway I'll keep this short. My answer to your question is I DON"T HAVE A CLUE.

Love, peace and happiness

Thank you Darren

chuckt

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 03:28:17 PM »

in Christ.

"""in"""

En 2:537,233
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
en      Preposition

Definition
in, by, with etc. 

Rom 12:5 So we, [being] many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

chuckt

hebrewroots98

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 09:00:22 PM »

winner 08, just keep reading Rays' site on the topic of the Holy Spirit and you will soon find peace in your life. ;)

Phazel, what a neat answer! :D

Stevernator

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 08:32:23 AM »

Don't worry Darren!
Luke 11:13
If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

Hmm what is being in Christ to me. Well although I think I have been given a lot of scriptural knowledge through this site, in some ways I am still a babe in Christ or maybe a 12 year old in Christ. It means that I have to deny myself some things. I am realizing that while life is beautiful I was not created to live a carefree life and enjoy all the pleasures of the world. I am supposed to bear spiritual fruit so I can conform to the image of God; like Christ did. I had to go through the painful realization that apart from Christ there is no good inside me. I think God lovingly yet firmly showed me that I had to let go of my ego and realize my helpless state. This helped put things into perspective.

When I try to talk about Jesus to others its usually descends into an intellectual argument talking about the Bible and everyone will just say well the Bible isnt true. Then I talk about the spiritual truth in the scriptures and theyre like whatever what about other religions. (Just like Ray said in the winning souls for Jesus paper our witness is better to be based on love and sacrifice not clever Bible arguments. I have to remember that sometimes) :/  Although I did have one friend who was not raised Christian, and not born in a Christian country. He became interested in Jesus and now he believes the gospel so that was rewarding and I think I saw some transformation. Everyone will come in God's timing though.

But I suppose it all boils down to letting Jesus lead you by the hand and denying yourself (ie. not being a Christian crusader and converting all the heathen; but following Him, showing mercy and preaching the gospel when you can). I'm taking baby steps but maybe God has greater plans in mind? But being in Christ helps me to gradually overcome things of the world and allows me to be content when I am alone thinking. Sure there is some alienation when you put following Christ over following others but its worth it. :)

Anyways great question and I hope more respond to it!

Love you all,
Steve

PS
"It means that no matter how miserable WE fail, HE is always there to love, forgive, and endure with us in order to perfect us into HIS way of thinking and living.  We are HIS ambassadors in this earth and WE represent CHRIST in this fallen world"
Awesome, hebrewroots, wow and we really need His patience.

Little Joe

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 09:05:15 AM »

Thanks everyone for all your great answers.  Gave me something to meditate on.  I liked your "oars" analogy Kat. 

Joe

Beloved

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 09:08:12 AM »

I now have this awsome promise
2Co 5:1  For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

In Christ means that I am no longer alone...

(Psa 121:8 )  The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even forevermore.
(Hebrew13 :5)  for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

(Eph 2:6)  And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
I have no needs because in Christ there is nothing that I lack
(Php 4:19)  But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus

Why me Oh Lord[b]
(Psa 69:16)  Hear me, O LORD; for thy lovingkindness is good: turn unto me according to the multitude of thy tender mercies
. [/b]

beloved

hebrewroots98

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 12:36:17 PM »

Hi Stevenator.  I reread what you had quoted (from what I had written yesterday), and my own words brought me to tears of joy!  (That is a first I would say, lol.) :'( :'(  Glad you like it! ;D)

hillsbororiver

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 03:14:41 PM »

Hi Joe and everyone,

Great topic and responses, the following verses came to mind as I pondered the question submitted by Joe, (for me) to be in Christ is to pick up His cross and learn of Him as we are being purified by Him, to share in His sufferings as we are promised to one day share in His glory.

Luk 9:23  And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

Rom 8:17  And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

1Co 15:31  I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.

2Co 1:5  For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ.

The following kind of sums it up for me;

Jud 1:1  Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ and brother of James, to them that are sanctified37 by God the Father, and preserved5083 in Jesus Christ, and called.

G37
ἁγιάζω
hagiazō
hag-ee-ad'-zo
From G40; to make holy, that is, (ceremonially) purify or consecrate; (mentally) to venerate: - hallow, be holy, sanctify.

G5083
τηρέω
tēreō
tay-reh'-o
From τηρός teros (a watch; perhaps akin to G2334); to guard (from loss or injury, properly by keeping the eye upon; and thus differing from G5442, which is properly to prevent escaping; and from G2892, which implies a fortress or full military lines of apparatus), that is, to note (a prophecy; figuratively to fulfil a command); by implication to detain (in custody; figuratively to maintain); by extension to withhold (for personal ends; figuratively to keep unmarried): - hold fast, keep (-er), (ob-, pre-, re) serve, watch.

This kind of gives me chills, those who are being sanctified (purified) by God, who were chosen before the foundation of the world are also being guarded and cannot escape, how awesome is that?

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

hebrewroots98

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 10:52:33 PM »

Joe, that staggers my mind....to think that we were chosen BEFORE THE FOUNDATIONS OF THE WORLD AND THAT HE HAS SANCTIFIED ME...WELL, JUST BLOWS MY MIND.   I do not feel worthy, that is for sure; but if HE wants to chose  me and sanctify me...I am DEFINATELY GAME ;D :o....YES, EVERY AWESOME....  I am sure that HE has wonderful things prepared for US;more than we had ever dreamed of I am  sure!

hillsbororiver

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 09:45:53 AM »

Yes Susan it is a mind blower to consider that we might be the ones spoken of.

Sanctified;

Eph 1:4  According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Preserved;

Mat 24:24  For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Peace,

Joe

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 01:20:07 PM »

1 John 2 : 24 As for you, keep in your hears what you have heard from the beginning. If what you have heard from the first dwells and REMAINS in you, THEN YOU DWELL IN THE SON and in the Father. 25. And THIS IS THE PROMISE that He has promed us - the life.

Remnant 3062 one's WHICH REMAIN. rest.

John 21 : 22 If I want him to STAY until I come what is that to you. 

STAY 3306 To stay in a given place, state, expectancy.

John died in a state of expectancy and will therefore, at the last trump he will be raised in incorruption, glory, power and a spiritual body as first remant - first to remain in the expectancy of Christ's return.

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

Roy Monis

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 01:55:25 PM »

Hi! Little Joe

You have to be really hungry Joe in order to appreciate this.

When you are physically hungry your stomach rumbles and you feel empty so you find some food and eat.

I like manner when you are really spiritually hungry you feel an emptiness within you that physical food cannot fill. So you have to appeal to the only source of that food which is God who is not far from anyone of us and He is only too willing to satisfy your need. He gives you His free gift of His Holy Spirit which makes His abode within you to fill that enormous gap. This is Jesus Christ in Spirit.

I have been there Joe, believe me You too will be filled and you'll hunger no more and ask those silly questions.

Sincerely in Christ Jesus

Roy. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.