bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Passover  (Read 6113 times)

Jackie Lee

Passover
« on: April 13, 2008, 06:16:15 PM »

I wasn't sure where to put this thread but was wondering if there is anything special we should eat drink or do on passover starting at sundown april 19th?
I am a bit confused on this.

Stevernator

Re: Passover
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 06:28:21 PM »

Hi Jackie,

I copied and pasted from Ray's transcript on Keeping Sabbath that could be related to your question.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6310.0.html

Heb 4:10  For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.

So this whole thing of coming out of our life - coming out of carnality - coming out of religiosity is like coming out of darkness into the light and that light will give you peace or rest.  You have to rest or cease your works and that is what this verse says, which concludes in Heb. 4:10.   Now let’s look at verse 3.

Heb 4:3  For we who have believed do enter into rest…

There it is.  So right now we do enter into rest.  How do we enter into rest?  By stopping doing our own works, by coming out of the shadow.  Keeping the seventh day is a shadow and you’ve got to come out of that and come into the light of that… the real thing is Christ. 

Gal 5:1  Stand fast therefore in the liberty (freedom - peace - rest) with which Christ has made us free, and be not entangled again in a yoke of bondage.
v. 2  Behold, I, Paul, say to you that if you are circumcised (physically, literally), Christ shall profit you nothing.

Gal 5:4  Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever attempt to be justified by law, ye are fallen from grace.
v. 5  For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
v. 6  For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision avails anything nor uncircumcision, but faith which works by love.

Peace,
Steve

musicman

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 06:51:26 PM »

I wasn't sure where to put this thread but was wondering if there is anything special we should eat drink or do on passover starting at sundown april 19th?

Yes.
I'm going to say passover the bread, passover the porkchops and passover the mashed potatoes.

Jackie Lee

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 06:55:42 PM »

Thank you Stevenator, I appreciate your answer, This was what I was believing also.
I have a friend that practices Judism but I feel totally uncomfortable with the rituals food etc.
Thanks for the link also I am going to read now. :)

Kitt

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 11:01:31 PM »

The Torah teaches not to eat leavened bread for the seven days of passover.  In fact you can't even have it in your home.  We eat the unleavened bread called matzah, parsley, horseradish and a mixture of apples, nuts, honey cinnamon and wine called haroseth and salt water at the Seder.  These are the elements of the Passover Seder along with a shank bone representing the passover lamb, commanded by Yahveh in the Torah, (five books of Moshe).

There is a spiritual equivalent for this in the Communion.  I celebrate Passover every year because I am Jewish and I want to.  Yeshua set us free from the obligation of this until after He returns.  You don't have to do anything unless you want to.  Just understand what the Passover is about both from the Exodus, (no longer slaves in Egypt), and for what Yeshua did for us setting us free from sin, No longer slaves to sin).

Kitt

Robin

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 07:17:55 AM »

God used the story of passover and the exit from Egypt to teach me so much before I found bible-truths. I feel like I took the whole journey myself.

I really wanted to celebrate Passover 2 years ago and had a seder with my brother and children and grandchildren. I found a Hagadah? and changed it some. We did the long version. It was a beautiful experience. I just wept through the whole night.

I personally think the law of God is beautiful. Not because it brings life, but because it brought me to my knees and showed me the depth of my sin. It showed me that my only hope was in Christ.

2 Corinthians 3:3
 2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:

3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

4And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:

5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;

6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

7But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:

8How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?

9For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

10For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.

11For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

12Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:

13And not as Moses, which put a veil over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:

14But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.

15But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.

16Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.

17Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

18But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 07:32:03 AM by M.G. »

hillsbororiver

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 09:43:55 AM »

Hi MG,

Interesting topic! Your post brought to mind one of my favorite articles, so full of the Love God has for His creation and the depth of His Word as He shows us His Plan and Purpose for all;

http://bible-truths.com/lake4.html

THE THREE FESTIVALS AND THE SALVATION OF ALL

There is a beautiful type in the Old Testament that clearly demonstrates when and in what manner all these Unsaved masses will be saved. This Old Testament type is illustrated all through the New Testament, but the blind and unperceiving eyes of Christendom have for the most part failed to see it, believe it, or teach it.

The American Heritage College Dictionary: "type n  6. A figure, representation, or symbol of something to come, such as an event in the Old Testament that foreshadows another in the New Testament," p. 1485.  There are many such types beginning back in the the first chapter of Genesis.

Here are just two examples:  The Passover in ancient Israel was a type of its true fulfillment to come in our Lord's crucifixion, "Purge out therefore the old leaven that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened [but now speaking spiritually].  For even Christ our PASSOVER [Lamb] is sacrificed [crucified] for us " (I Cor. 5:7).  And James 1:18 clearly demonstrates the foreshadowing of the firstfruits harvest by saying:  "Of His own will begat He us with the word of truth, that we should be a KIND of firstfruits [of the Spring Harvest] of His creatures [not farm products]."  It is also important to note that whenever the word "first" is used, it always suggests more to follow -- there is never a Spring harvest without a following Fall harvest. We will now consider three of three of the Old Testament types that center on the harvest seasons.

In ancient Israel there were three times in the year when all men were to appear before God:

THE WAVE SHEAF (Feast of Unleavened Bread and Passover): "Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye be come into the land which I give unto you, and shall reap the harvest thereof, then ye shall bring a sheaf OF the firstfruits of your harvest unto the priest ... And ye shall offer that day when ye wave the sheaf an he lamb without blemish of the FIRST year for a burnt offering unto the Lord" (Lev. 23:10-12).

COMMENT: This wave sheaf of the very first of the firstfruits is a type of our Lord Who was the perfect Lamb without blemish offered in the Spring on Passover. "But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the FIRSTFRUIT of them that sleep" (I Cor. 15:20). Jesus is not the entire firstfruits but rather "the firstfruit OF them that sleep." He is the firstfruit OF the firstfruit or more precisely the "wave sheaf OF the firstfruits." Firstfruit is a term that pertains to agriculture and harvesting. It was never a theological term until introduced into the New Testament with regards to a small number who would be saved prior to a much larger number to be saved later.

THE FIRSTFRUITS (Feast of Weeks): "All the best of the oil , and all the best of the wine, and of the wheat, the FIRSTFRUITS of them which they shall offer unto the Lord, them have I given thee ... And whatsoever is FIRST RIPE in the land which they shall bring unto the Lord, shall be thine..." (Num. 18:12 & 13). "And now, behold, I have brought the firstfruits of the land, which thou, O Lord, has given me. And thou shalt set it before the LORD thy God, and worship before the Lord thy God" (Deut. 26:10).

COMMENT: The type in the New Testament of this Old Testament symbol is the Believer. Notice what James tells us, "Of His own will begat He us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of FIRSTFRUITS of His creatures" (James 1:18). Now a very important point: How far down the road in prophecy can we go until we reach the end of the firstfruits? In Rev. 7:4-8 we read of the sealing of the 144,000. These are a different group from the great innumerable multitude, which no man could number, from every nation and tongue spoken of beginning in verse 9.

In Chapter 14:1 & 4 we are told specifically who these 144,000 are: "And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Zion, and with Him an hundred forty and four thousand [notice that the innumerable multitudes from all nations is not mentioned here] ... These are they which were not defiled with women, for they are virgins [as in the Bride of Christ]. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever He goes. These were redeemed from among men, BEING THE FIRSTFRUITS unto God and to the Lamb" (Rev. 14:1 & 4). So every believer from the Apostles to the 144,000 just prior to the return of Jesus Christ to establish His reign on the earth, is called and likened to FIRSTFRUITS! So what does this have to do with the lake of fire? EVERYTHING! Everyone saved before the Day of Judging is likened to firstfruits, so there will be no more firstfruits after the white throne judgment.

Paul tells us in Rom. 8:23, "And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the FIRSTFRUITS of the Spirit..." Nowhere do we read of the "LASTFRUITS," but whenever something is FIRST we also know there is something to follow. Nor are there any references to any "ONLYFRUITS." The firstfruits are clearly not the ONLY fruits! Follow this very closely now, for you are in for a big shock when you understand the type in the fall festival of Tabernacles—the great fall harvest.

THE END-OF-THE-YEAR FEAST OF INGATHERING (Feast of Tabernacles): "And the feast of harvest, the firstfruits of thy labours, which thou has sown in the field and the FEAST OF INGATHERING, which is in the END OF THE YEAR, when you have gathered in thy labours out of the field" (Ex. 23:16).

"Thou shall observe the FEAST OF TABERNACLES seven [number of perfection] days, after that you have gathered in your corn and your wine: And you shall REJOICE IN YOUR FEAST, you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, the stranger, and the widow, that are within your gates [that’s just about EVERYONE, wouldn’t you say?]. Seven days [here’s that perfect number again] shall you keep A SOLEMN FEAST [a very important feast to God] unto the LORD your God in the place which the Lord shall choose: because the Lord thy God shall bless you in all your increase, and in all the works of your hands, therefore you shalt surely REJOICE" (Deut. 16:13-15). Here truly was a festival in which EVERYONE, every single person in all Israel, and also did you notice, "the STRANGER" who was NOT an Israelite could really REJOICE! THIS FESTIVAL WAS THE HAPPIEST TIME OF THE YEAR! Do we think it will have no fulfillment in God’s grand plan of salvation?

"Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, the fifteenth day of this seventh month shall be the FEAST OF TABERNACLES for seven days unto the LORD. On the first day shall be an holy convocation: you shall do no servile work therein. Seven days you shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD: on the EIGHTH DAY shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall offer an offering made by FIRE unto the LORD: it is a SOLEMN assembly; and you shall do no servile work therein" (Lev. 23:34-36). Why is the profound and marvelous truth of this festival not taught in its proper chronological order by the prophets of Christendom? How is it even possible to avoid seeing the powerful and glorious consummation of God’s salvation in this Fall Harvest Festival? Why is the truth of this GREAT FEAST being hidden from the eyes of the world? What is it that they are trying to hide from us? God’s Word will show us.

Peace,

Joe

Kat

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 10:50:21 AM »

Hi Jackie,

When I was in WWCG, a long time ago, we kept the Passover.  We had a service in which there was the observance of the bread and the wine.  The Scriptures of the events surrounding the Crucifixion were read.  Then we had the food washing ceremony. 
The next day started the Days of Unleavened Bread which lasted 7 days.  We had to meticulously clean all leaven (it was suppose to represent sin) produces (including nonbread items) out of our homes before this started.  The first and the last days were 'holy days' which we were required to attended double services that day (this was usually not in my city, so I had to drive usually over an hour to these holy day services that we had 7 times a year, oh and my husband did not attend and I had my 3 children to bring with me to these services).  Then for seven days we were not to eat anything with leaven in it.

This was our attempt to keep this profoundly meaningful event physically.  For 15 years I kept this in that church and I gained absolutely nothing spiritual from it.  But I do not look on it as a total waste of time, because I gained a good understanding about what the Bible says concerning these events and there was other teaching about the physical aspects of this event that were helpful.  And now when I am studying about this to gain spiritual understanding I do have a background of physical knowledge to build on.  But I can tell you it was a burden to carry out all of those physical requirements.  I am so thankful for what I have learned on my journey, it has made me that much more appreciative of these spiritual blessing that I am being given now  :)
Just wanted to share this little experience with you.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 10:57:31 AM by Kat »

Kent

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 12:34:53 PM »

Yes.
I'm going to say passover the bread, passover the porkchops and passover the mashed potatoes.

And the apple sauce? Where is the apple sauce? Cant have pork chops without applesauce.  Homer Simpson would not approve of this omission. ;)

FWIW, I agree with Steve.

Falconn003

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 05:50:54 PM »

The PASSOVER has indeed become a living SPIRITUALY manifestation in all of us .

In Acient times they sacrificed a lamb and annointted the door arches so the curse(consuming FIRE) would PASS OVER thier lodges.

In SPIRIT the sacrifice of Jesus as the LAMB, gives us Jesus's annointing so that our SPIRITs, when tested, are not comsumed by God's FIRE.

peace
Rodger

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 07:35:52 PM »

Hi Jackie,

When I was in WWCG, a long time ago, we kept the Passover.  We had a service in which there was the observance of the bread and the wine.  The Scriptures of the events surrounding the Crucifixion were read.  Then we had the food washing ceremony. 
The next day started the Days of Unleavened Bread which lasted 7 days.  We had to meticulously clean all leaven (it was suppose to represent sin) produces (including nonbread items) out of our homes before this started.  The first and the last days were 'holy days' which we were required to attended double services that day (this was usually not in my city, so I had to drive usually over an hour to these holy day services that we had 7 times a year, oh and my husband did not attend and I had my 3 children to bring with me to these services).  Then for seven days we were not to eat anything with leaven in it.

This was our attempt to keep this profoundly meaningful event physically.  For 15 years I kept this in that church and I gained absolutely nothing spiritual from it.  But I do not look on it as a total waste of time, because I gained a good understanding about what the Bible says concerning these events and there was other teaching about the physical aspects of this event that were helpful.  And now when I am studying about this to gain spiritual understanding I do have a background of physical knowledge to build on.  But I can tell you it was a burden to carry out all of those physical requirements.  I am so thankful for what I have learned on my journey, it has made me that much more appreciative of these spiritual blessing that I am being given now  :)
Just wanted to share this little experience with you.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Good afternoon Kat,

Thank you for the reminder of the days of our physical burden.  God or maybe I took my family through that experience too and I think it prepared us for greater things.  Yes it was a burden, but we did begin to understand the need for serious study of God's word and how unproductive it was to expect the Elders or the pastor to seek truth and then pass it on to us without our having made any personal effort to learn God's ways.  One thing we learned was concern for our brothers and sisters who had so much less and how to share with them joyfully.  My wife and I and four children attended and there were many so called spiritual widows who needed and appreciated our help with their children.  In some cases we became as close as blood relatives.

I suppose it is something like serving in the military; we would never do it again, but we had experiences that we could not have known about in any other way humanly speaking.

I do believe, at least for now, that the Jewish festivals would be helpful in teaching God's overall plan to Christians who are interested in the full truth.  Those were the lessons that the first converts had in Jerusalem to aid their understanding.
Is there any objection to that idea?

Indianabob

Kat

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 12:29:20 AM »

Hi Bob,

I do believe, at least for now, that the Jewish festivals would be helpful in teaching God's overall plan to Christians who are interested in the full truth.  Those were the lessons that the first converts had in Jerusalem to aid their understanding.

I do think that it is a good way to teach those lessons. I can tell you that the keeping of all those festivals through the year and year after year was very helpful in learning about God's plan.  To attend services dedicated to different parts of God's plan of salvation, helps you get a very good understanding of all the aspects of the particular event they were depicting.  So as the physical comes first, that would teach a good basic knowledge, the shadow.  Joe's post gave a good run down of them all.

I did have very good friends in that chuch, that were like family.  We were trying so hard to be spiritual by doing the physical.  Like you said, I wouldn't want to do it again, but it was a valuable experience.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.