bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So is free will really just an illusion?  (Read 4246 times)

Sorin

So is free will really just an illusion?
« on: April 19, 2008, 02:35:34 PM »

What does it mean to be human, to be in control of one's own mind?

What is the nature of consciousness, the mysterious property of self-awareness that we all have and yet which no scientist understands?

Is there any such thing as free will, or are our minds at the mercy of some unknown force?

These are the fundamental questions that have perplexed philosophers and, increasingly, scientists for centuries.

Until recently they seemed utterly unfathomable; after all, how do you test for something like free will in the laboratory?

Read full article Here

David

Re: So is free will really just an illusion?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 06:19:02 PM »

The concept of total free will has always been something that seemed at odds with nature to me, even before I became a Christian. The idea that there can be laws governing nature, physical laws that govern the whole universe, and yet we humans have free will is just foolish. The only way total free will can exist is if we live infinitely, and have infinite choices to make, have no physical laws governing us, have no vital bodily functions etc. People have said to me "yeah but I'm free to choose what I eat etc...." No, the truth is we are caused to eat, we have to eat, and we have limited choices of what we can eat depending on our preferences (which cause our choices), and what food is presented to us. This analogy be can applied to just about every single aspect of human life. Our choices are caused, and by and large extremely limited to our environment, time constraints, economic circumstances, the laws of the land etc. We are to a certain extent restrained to what choices we make by our imaginations and our level of intellect, something which most people overlook when contemplating this issue. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 06:22:40 PM by David »

Kat

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 12:22:21 AM »

Now that I understand that there is no free will, the more I think about it the more I can see how impossible it would be to have a free will.  We are all born into certain circumstances, with a certain personality and physical abilites and weakness, having things we enjoy and desire or dislike and avoid etc...  All these things were purposed in each one of us individually, He designed each of us to be as we are.  It is amazing that every person is unique.  God is in control of all this and He is giving each one of us this distinct and incredible journey (good and evil) of life in this world.  Of course we don't have a free will, but He is giving us our own unique experience, unlike anybody else will have  8)

mercy, peace and love
Kat

carol v

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 01:34:47 PM »

I have two favorite scriptures that explain how free will works. The first is --

Eph 6:12  For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

I won't go into a repeat of Ray's writing and other studies but I believe we have all been shown that the beast is within us, the kingdom of God is within us and the "high places" can be found in our own hearts and minds. I believe we are either aware of these things or not. When we are not aware that we are the beast then we think we are flesh and blood and the one in control.

This scripture says to me that we 'think' we are wrestling with flesh and blood but we are really having a war inside of us that we are NOT in control of. It is not of our will or our own power.

I also love the story of King Nebubuchadnezzar who had great success and thought he had done it all by himself.

Dan 4:30  The king spoke, and said, Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for the house of the kingdom by the might of my power, and for the honor of my majesty?
Dan 4:31  While the word was in the king's mouth, there fell a voice from heaven, saying, O king Nebuchadnezzar, to thee it is spoken; The kingdom is departed from thee.
Dan 4:32  And they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field: they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and seven times shall pass over thee, until thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will.
Dan 4:33  The same hour was the thing fulfilled upon Nebuchadnezzar: and he was driven from men, and did eat grass as oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven, till his hairs were grown like eagles' feathers, and his nails like birds' claws.
Dan 4:34  And at the end of the days I Nebuchadnezzar lifted up mine eyes unto heaven, and mine understanding returned unto me, and I blessed the most High, and I praised and honored him that liveth forever, whose dominion is an everlasting dominion, and his kingdom is from generation to generation:

It wasn't until Nebuchadnezzar recognized God's sovereignty that he was able to have understanding. Love that story. Just my 2 cents on this subject.

Carol

Samson

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 05:06:58 PM »

Great Post Carol,

Nebuchanezzar ate grass for seven years thinking he had done everything of his own accord, it's definetely a good lesson for all of us. I think all of us at one time or another ate some grass(figuratively speaking). Nebuchanezzar had a serious eye problem, I--I--I--I, but at least he finally gave glory to the True God.

Anyway, thankyou for the post, it's a great reminder and an eye opener(no pun intented),  ;D ;D ;D.

Thanks, Samson.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.