bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: newbies vs. hero members  (Read 10286 times)

carol v

newbies vs. hero members
« on: April 19, 2008, 08:06:10 PM »

I mean this as a caution and not to in any way criticize this forum. But I will say that I liked the software for the forum a few years ago that didn't give this rating to its members.

About a year and a half ago in one of my other incarnations of membership on this site (same name, just let my membership slide when I got busy and didn't log in so was cancelled, twice so far)...well, I got sidetracked...I discovered that two "hero members" lived only 100 miles away from me and since I'm the only 'one' I know in my small town, I contacted them and we arranged a meeting.

First the positive...one of the hero members was exactly like she represented and represents herself here -- warm, loving, and a sincere seeker of God's truth.

I was suspicious from the first of the other hero member though because when I clicked on her name after discovering she lived so close, I also discovered that she had amassed over 2000 posts in barely 3 months time while talking about her baby, husband and busy life. Well, I've had babies and I never had time to post on the internet so I questioned that.

I drove up one Sunday and had lunch with both these members, their husbands and kids. As I said, one is a loving wonderful person who was/is exactly as she represents herself. The other, well, worse than I thought and I'm pretty streetwise about people.

I found out that she had indeed amassed these posts while neglecting her child. She had actually left her child alone for hours at a time when her husband was at work to go write these posts on a neighbor's computer. When I met her she was filthy, the child was filthy and then I found out that not only did she post as a hero member on this site but she posted on a Wiccan website as well. She was Wiccan.

From reading her posts though you would not have guessed this about her. One time she told the forum she was sick and we ended up with about 3 pages of sympathy posts for her. Sincere members being deceived by a hero member.

She no longer is a member of this forum so no need to seek it out. And the great hero member who is still a member of this forum has given up trying to help this woman and doesn't associate with her anymore. She made the right choice.

I am listed as a newbie and can't even tell you how many posts I have right now. But I've actually been a member for almost 4 years and first started studying Ray's site and God's truth then. I mention this because I have noticed a tendency for "newbies" to be condescended to and I find it kind of annoying. I quit going to Weight Watchers meetings years ago because they insisted on talking to the members as if they were in kindergarten. Hmmmm....that was probably a mistake ::)

Just be aware folks that "newbies" aren't necessarily new to God's truth and "hero members" aren't necessarily the bearers of all truth and wisdom. This is the internet guys. If I wanted to be a hero member I could simply start posting a small comment in every single thread, welcome everybody, tell a few jokes and VOILA -- a bearer of all wisdom.

Carol

Kent

Re: newbies vs. hero members
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 11:08:09 PM »

I mention this because I have noticed a tendency for "newbies" to be condescended to

I dont see that. Point out 1 example. If you can, that is.

It doesnt matter what title the member has. The only thing that matters is the mods and admins.

People here are kind and considerate. Even when we sometimes disagree.

mharrell08

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 11:13:58 AM »

Hello,

I am pretty much a newbie to the forum as I only recently went over the 50 post mark for Jr. Member. The title of this post caught my eye and for the wrong reasons. The "vs." seems to pit one side against the other. Also, I have to agree with Kent as I do not see or has it happened to me a long standing member having a condescending attitude. I started a post called "A Message to the Stubborn" about people arguing in vanity instead of having an attitude of humility but that was not directed to one particular group.

The only thing I have seen even remotely close to what your post is referring to is when a member (usually lower or shorter standing) asked a question that has an answer in Ray's studies and notes. And then usually a mod or longer standing member will direct them to the paper or email. Only when that same member is going on and on about "their point" does the mod or hero member basically say "Hey, either study yourself or email Ray but quit trying to argue a non-scriptural point." I don't see a condescending attitude in those instances. But then again, like Kent said, please point out 1 example. No one is perfect we can all agree on but I have yet to see it.

Marques

carol v

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 11:30:36 AM »

Kent, you're right. The people here are kind and considerate. I was annoyed yesterday at a public attack in the forum on someone I am very fond of and the thread has been removed. There is nothing to point to from yesterday and digging up old threads would be beating a dead horse.

I still believe that the rating of members is very unfortunate and I have seen this in practice in my 3 and 1/2 years here but I don't feel any need to go on with this thread. The software of the old forum didn't require stars and ratings. I did not mean to start a feud and was wrong to put vs. in the subject as if I was pitting them against each other. I was simply comparing.

Carol

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 12:28:54 PM »

We have not liked the rating system either but could not find a way to defeat it.

Craig may have found a way. If it goes away you'll know he succeeded.

Dennis

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 07:39:51 PM »

O.K the stars should be gone except for Moderators and Admins.  Members should easily know who they are.

The hero, senior, etc. monikers should be gone, however Newbie will still be there until a minimum number of posts are reached.

Craig

Kent

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 08:46:51 PM »

I did not mean to start a feud and was wrong to put vs. in the subject as if I was pitting them against each other. I was simply comparing.

Carol

It's all good  ;)

All board software that I am aware of has these silly rating systems. And from what I have seen on other boards, ususally the "experts" aren't all that great. Post count does not necessarily equal credibility. Sometimes it just means they post a lot of nonsense.

winner08

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 09:05:36 PM »

For me personally I like to know if I'm talking to someone who's been here awhile or a newbie. I myself is a newbie. It means alot to me when someone who has more knowledge on a subject than me, gives me some advice on a certain matter. But this is just me. I love it when Kat or Craig and the other moderaters throw in there wisdom. (forgive me for not mentioning your names).

Darren

Martinez

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »

For me personally I like to know if I'm talking to someone who's been here awhile or a newbie. I myself is a newbie. It means alot to me when someone who has more knowledge on a subject than me, gives me some advice on a certain matter. But this is just me. I love it when Kat or Craig and the other moderaters throw in there wisdom. (forgive me for not mentioning your names).

Darren

Hi there Darren,

The answers a person posts should be the indicator of their understanding, knowledge or wisdom, not their post count.
also the amount of time spent on this forum does not necessarily mean that someone is new to these truths. someone could be a newbie on this forum but not be new to Ray's teachings and done a lot of study on the subject and only just have join the forum.

Don't be fooled by the number of posts someone has posted, it doesn't mean anything.

Also, paying more attention to someone who has a lot of posts over someone who does not have a lot of posts is to be a respecter of persons and We all know how Christ feels about that.

Don't take offence Darren, this post is for me more than anyone.

PS.

Think how you would feel if someone was treated as more important than you just because they had more money, were better looking or had a more knowledge. it wouldn't be very nice or very Christ like would it, and that's the attitude that is in the church so that should tell you something right there!

winner08

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 04:15:22 AM »

Thanks Martinez: I didn't realize. Yes what you say is so true. It's not how long your a member. It's the wisdom of the post. Yes judging hurts. I'm always judge, at work at home in school I don't make enough money I'm not the best looking, so on and so on. I was not judging anyone (sorry if it sounded like it).

Darren

David

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 08:27:09 AM »

I'm a relative newbie here, and I've never felt condiscended to, patronized or talked down to in any way.
Relitively speaking I'm new to Christianity, in Church I did feel all of those things and often from much younger people, but never here. 

joyful1

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 12:45:37 PM »

??? HEY!!!!
where'd ALL MY STARS GO??? HUH?  :( IT TOOK ME YEARS TO GET ALL THOSE STARS!!

(*hehehehehe)
Joyce :)

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 01:56:43 PM »

??? HEY!!!!
where'd ALL MY STARS GO??? HUH?  :( IT TOOK ME YEARS TO GET ALL THOSE STARS!!

(*hehehehehe)
Joyce :)

ROFL! I LUV this new system!! Members of the body of Christ! AMEN!!!

Falconn003

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 02:21:10 PM »

Can i be the BIG TOE that gets stump on the bedpost at night..... j/k lol   ;D ;)

ratings....who need stnking ratings .      :D :D 

Rodger

Rui

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 03:43:47 PM »

I mean this as a caution and not to in any way criticize this forum. But I will say that I liked the software for the forum a few years ago that didn't give this rating to its members.

About a year and a half ago in one of my other incarnations of membership on this site (same name, just let my membership slide when I got busy and didn't log in so was cancelled, twice so far)...well, I got sidetracked...I discovered that two "hero members" lived only 100 miles away from me and since I'm the only 'one' I know in my small town, I contacted them and we arranged a meeting.

First the positive...one of the hero members was exactly like she represented and represents herself here -- warm, loving, and a sincere seeker of God's truth.

I was suspicious from the first of the other hero member though because when I clicked on her name after discovering she lived so close, I also discovered that she had amassed over 2000 posts in barely 3 months time while talking about her baby, husband and busy life. Well, I've had babies and I never had time to post on the internet so I questioned that.

I drove up one Sunday and had lunch with both these members, their husbands and kids. As I said, one is a loving wonderful person who was/is exactly as she represents herself. The other, well, worse than I thought and I'm pretty streetwise about people.

I found out that she had indeed amassed these posts while neglecting her child. She had actually left her child alone for hours at a time when her husband was at work to go write these posts on a neighbor's computer. When I met her she was filthy, the child was filthy and then I found out that not only did she post as a hero member on this site but she posted on a Wiccan website as well. She was Wiccan.

From reading her posts though you would not have guessed this about her. One time she told the forum she was sick and we ended up with about 3 pages of sympathy posts for her. Sincere members being deceived by a hero member.

She no longer is a member of this forum so no need to seek it out. And the great hero member who is still a member of this forum has given up trying to help this woman and doesn't associate with her anymore. She made the right choice.

I am listed as a newbie and can't even tell you how many posts I have right now. But I've actually been a member for almost 4 years and first started studying Ray's site and God's truth then. I mention this because I have noticed a tendency for "newbies" to be condescended to and I find it kind of annoying. I quit going to Weight Watchers meetings years ago because they insisted on talking to the members as if they were in kindergarten. Hmmmm....that was probably a mistake ::)

Just be aware folks that "newbies" aren't necessarily new to God's truth and "hero members" aren't necessarily the bearers of all truth and wisdom. This is the internet guys. If I wanted to be a hero member I could simply start posting a small comment in every single thread, welcome everybody, tell a few jokes and VOILA -- a bearer of all wisdom.

Carol

Really nice of u to stand out with your TEMOIGNAGE...Thank you.......Rui:)

UncleBeau

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 05:59:07 PM »

Three stars for this thread.  :-X

hillsbororiver

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 06:24:11 PM »

:D LOL!

Good one Beau

joyful1

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 09:35:57 PM »

there!   ;D

gmik

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 12:19:46 AM »

I LOVE being a member of the Body of Christ!! :-*

carol v

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 01:25:38 PM »

I just wanted to thank Dennis and Craig for removing the stars and especially for all the hard work they put in on the site. Thanks to all behind the scenes.

I appreciate the support I've received. I have felt badly for possibly stirring up dissent because of my bad mood on Saturday even though it's an issue that has bugged me since the forum moved...

I would go into a very, very, very long discussion about the perils of perimenopause but I will spare you all ;D

Blessings to All,
Carol

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.