bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does God have emotions??  (Read 4071 times)

winner08

Does God have emotions??
« on: April 22, 2008, 10:46:58 PM »

Hello everybody, I was reading Isaiah and I notice where the word angered the people of Judha and Jerusalem. Then I remembered that it is said that God is a jealous God. Well I'm sure everybody knows where I'm going with this. Gods spirit and He 's not the same in manner that humans are. So my question is can we make God mad at us. Just like I would be mad at somebody. I would think so. God seems to get mad at His people all through the old testament. Then God Himself has emotions??

Thanks  Darren

carol v

Re: Does God have emotions??
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 12:02:15 AM »

Very good question. I have been recently a little confused by 1 Samuel 15 and intended to write Ray but he's so busy.

1Sa 15:10  And the Word of Jehovah came to Samuel saying,
1Sa 15:11  It repents Me that I have set up Saul to be king. For he has turned back from following Me and has not done My commands. And it grieved Samuel, and he cried out to Jehovah all night.

1Sa 15:29  And also the Glory of Israel will not lie nor repent, for He is not a man that He should repent.

I think Ray explains somewhere in the Lake of Fire about God's "emotions" but I'm not sure where. Maybe Kat will chime in here since she has transcribed so much of Ray's stuff. The "repent" issue seems like a contradiction but I'm sure there is an explanation.

Carol

Kat

Re: Does God have emotions??
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 01:31:31 AM »

Hi Darren,

I think that when God was angry it was to show us His displeasure in something and was not the uncontrolled angry that we may have.  God knows the beginning from the end, so He certainly knows what people will do.  So He would not get mad at them, so much as showed His anger for their benefit, so they would know what displeases Him.

Carol, here is the Rotherham translation;

1Sa 15:11 I am grieved that I made Saul to be king, for he hath turned back from following me, and, my words, hath he not established. And it was vexing to Samuel, so that he made outcry unto Yahweh, all the night.

Here are a few emails that I think should help with these questions.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6961.0.html ---------

Dear Don: Don't misunderstand the meaning of "sorry" as it was used in archaic English. He was not "sorry" as in "I made a mistake that I now wish I hadn't made." That is nonsense. It is translated "grieved," and that is the proper word. Also the word for "repented" can mean to "pity." And these are proper emotional statements coming from God that do not insinuate that He didn't know what He was doing. God says he takes "no delight in the death of the wicked." But that doesn't mean He is sorry that He ever created humanity which is mostly wicked. And so when they death was to come, God felt pity and was grieved for the destruction that He brought upon them as a part of His original plan from the beginning. Hope this helps your understanding.

God be with you,
Ray

http://bible-truths.com/email4.htm#Muslim -------------------------

Certainly God did NOT change His mind. When it said, for example, in Ex. 32:14 that God repented [CHANGED HIS MIND?] of the evil He had thought to do, does that mean that, HE CHANGED HIS MIND?  No, of course not. God says, in effect, If these conditions continue, I will do THAT, if they change, I will do THIS.  It is all written from man's perspective. It was GOD Who brought about the conditions that would require "that" to be done, and it was ALSO GOD Who then brought about the condition that will make "this" happen. GOD DOES NOT EVER CHANGE HIS MIND: 

"God is NOT A MAN that He should REPENT [change His mind]" (I Sam. 16:29)!
--------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2124.0.html -----

So God made a mistake?  He thought that He would destroy Israel, but He was wrong?  He determined the very best course of action to take with Israel, but it was ill-conceived?  He had to relent?  He had to back down?    He had to be shown true love and righteousness by a carnal minded sinner named Moses?  It took His Own creature to show Him the way?  Moses had more wisdom than God Almighty?  God got frustrated?  Moses kept his cool?  God lost it?  Moses was more mature about the situation and was successful in showing God the error of His way? Do we think that God continues to make such rash and quick-tempered judgments to wipe out whole nations before He thinks things through thoroughly?

"For who has known the mind of the Lord? or who has been His counsellor?" (Rom. 11:34).  Answer?  Why MOSES, of course.  Moses became God's counsellor and set Him back on the straight and narrow and salvaged a whole nation from the indiscriminate wrath of an uncontrolled God. Not?  NOT!!!

How foolish.   "God is not a man that He should lie, neither the son of man that He should REPENT"  (Number 23:19).  God wanted Moses to come to the rescue of Israel. God SET HIM UP for this very thing. God KNEW that Moses would come to the defense of his people, and this is precisely what God predetermined that Moses would do. God had no intention of destroying Israel at this time.

"So Yahwah showed MERCY [Heb:  'nacham']  concerning the evil which He spoke of doing to His people"  (Ex. 32:14, Concordant Literal Old Testament).

God be with you,
Ray

« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 01:33:37 AM by Kat »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.