bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contradiction????  (Read 4188 times)

Danyool

Contradiction????
« on: April 23, 2008, 12:46:37 PM »

I was in discussion with someone and they brought this to my attention to look at when i got home. And to me it seems to be a contradiction and was wondering if anyone had any insight into it.

Luk 3:23  And Jesus Himself was beginning to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) son of Joseph, son of of Heli,
Luk 3:24  son of of Matthat, son of of Levi, son of of Melchi, son of of Janna, son of of Joseph,
Luk 3:25  son of of Mattathias, son of of Amos, son of of Nahum, son of of Esli, son of of Naggai,
Luk 3:26  son of of Maath, son of of Mattathias, son of of Semei, son of of Joseph, son of of Juda,
Luk 3:27  son of of Joanna, son of of Rhesa, son of of Zerubbabel, son of of Shealtiel, son of of Neri,
Luk 3:28  son of of Melchi, son of of Addi, son of of Cosam, son of of Elmodam, son of of Er,
Luk 3:29  son of of Joses, son of of Eliezer, son of of Jorum, son of of Matthat, son of of Levi,
Luk 3:30  son of of Simeon, son of of Juda, son of of Joseph, son of of Jonan, son of of Eliakim,
Luk 3:31  son of of Melea, the son of Menan, son of of Mattatha, son of of Nathan, son of of David,

This seems to be different to

Mat 1:7  And Solomon fathered Rehoboam, and Rehoboam fathered Abijah, and Abijah fathered Asa.
Mat 1:8  And Asa fathered Jehoshaphat, and Jehoshaphat fathered Jehoram, and Jehoram fathered Uzziah.
Mat 1:9  And Uzziah fathered Jotham, and Jotham fathered Ahaz, and Ahaz fathered Hezekiah.
Mat 1:10  And Hezekiah fathered Manasseh, and Manasseh fathered Amon, and Amon fathered Josiah.
Mat 1:11  And Josiah fathered Jehoiachin and his brothers, at the time they were carried away to Babylon.
Mat 1:12  And after the carrying away to Babylon, Jehoiachin fathered Shealtiel, and Shealtiel fathered Zerubbabel.
Mat 1:13  And Zerubbabel fathered Abiud, and Abiud fathered Eliakim, and Eliakim fathered Azor.
Mat 1:14  And Azor fathered Sadoc, and Sadoc fathered Achim, and Achim fathered Eliud.
Mat 1:15  And Eliud fathered Eleazar, and Eleazar fathered Matthan, and Matthan fathered Jacob.
Mat 1:16  And Jacob fathered Joseph, the husband to be of Mary, of whom Jesus was born, who is called Christ.

I have heard ray say that the Scriptures do not contradict, so i believe there must be an answer for this.

God bless you all

Dan
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 12:51:39 PM by Danyool »

Beloved

Re: Contradiction????
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 01:22:36 PM »

Matthew shows his legal lineage through his so called "father"

Luke shows his lineage through his mother's side...it does trace him back to God

But he was conceived of the Holy Spirit
   He therfore is the alpha and omega ....
         the root and offspring of David

Today no person can trace themselves back , the geneologies are now all lost...and in the physical realm they are irrelevant

Beloved
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 01:25:40 PM by Beloved »

Kat

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 01:41:45 PM »

Hi Dan,

I like the commentaries for stuff like this, not necessary to have a spiritual knowledge for this.  Here is from 'Treasures of Scriptural Knowledge.'

Luk 3:23
 The real father of Joseph was Jacob (Mat_1:16); but having married the daughter of Heli (being perhaps adopted by him), he was called his son, and as such was entered in the public registers; Mary not being mentioned, because the Hebrews never permitted the name of a woman to enter the genealogical tables, but inserted her husband as the son of him who was, in reality, but his father-in-law. 
Hence it appears that Matthew, who wrote principally for the Jews, traces the pedigree of Jesus Christ from Abraham, through whom the promises were given to the Jews, to David, and from David, through the line of Solomon, to Jacob the father of Joseph, the reputed or legal father of Christ;
and that Luke, who wrote for the Gentiles, extends his genealogy upwards from Heli, the father of Mary, through the line of Nathan, to David, and from David to Abraham, and from Abraham to Adam, who was the immediate “son of God” by creation, and to whom the promise of the Saviour was given in behalf of himself and all his posterity. 
The two branches of descent from David, by Solomon and Nathan, being thus united in the persons of Mary and Joseph, Jesus the son of Mary re-united in himself all the blood, privileges, and rights, of the whole family of David; in consequence of which he is emphatically called “the Son of David.”
-------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Danyool

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 04:37:45 AM »

Thanks i had a feeling it was something like that but i dont have any commentries. I tried looking it up on the internet but couldnt find much.

Many thanks

God bless

Dan

carol v

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 11:42:41 AM »

Hey Dan, great question. To get all the commentaries like the Treasure of Scripture Knowledge above, you need to download esword. All the commentaries are there on the site and it sure is easy to refer to esword on these things.

http://www.e-sword.net/

Danyool

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 12:09:37 PM »

Thanks carol i do have e-sword i just didnt know about the commentaries

Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.