bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heart and Mind  (Read 5491 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Heart and Mind
« on: April 26, 2008, 07:36:54 PM »

Dear Ray,

I noticed in your study of ‘The Lake of Fire- Part 15” that you make a distinction between the ‘heart’ and the ‘will’. The Old Testament uses the word for ‘heart’ interchangeably with ‘mind’ in the following passages.

Isaiah 46:8  8 Remember this, and shew yourselves men: bring it again to mind, O ye transgressors.

Jeremiah 3:16   16 And it shall come to pass, when ye be multiplied and increased in the land, in those days, saith the LORD, they shall say no more, The ark of the covenant of the LORD: neither shall it come to mind: neither shall they remember it; neither shall they visit it; neither shall that be done any more.

Numbers 16:28   28 And Moses said, Hereby ye shall know that the LORD hath sent me to do all these works; for I have not done them of mine own mind.

Numbers 24:13  3 If Balak would give me his house full of silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the commandment of the LORD, to do either good or bad of mine own mind; but what the LORD saith, that will I speak?

These passages are but a few of many which translate the Hebrew word for ‘heart’ --- ‘mind’. ( ble leb {labe} Meaning:  1) inner man, mind, will, heart, understanding 1a) inner part, midst 1a1) midst (of things) 1a2) heart (of man) 1a3) soul, heart (of man) 1a4) mind, knowledge, thinking, reflection, memory 1a5) inclination, resolution, determination (of will) 1a6) conscience 1a7) heart (of moral character) 1a8) as seat of appetites 1a9) as seat of emotions and passions 1a10) as seat of courage )

Scripture makes no distinction between the mind, soul, heart etc as you do in your teaching.

Please explain

Dear Reader: It is hardly possible to differentiate between heart and mind by using  Strong's Dictionary of the Greek and Hebrew languages, as he over-laps every definition with each word. Mind has to do more with intellect, intelligence, rational reasoning, analysis, creativity, etc.  The heart has more to do with emotions, feelings, compassion, love, lusts and desires.  We do not analytically and rationally decide that a good thing to do would be to go down to the beach and lust after women in bikinis.  Nor do we normally work our way through a difficult mathematical problem by figuring it out in our heart.  A person with a very good MIND, may nonetheless, have a very evil HEART. Can you see a difference?  I'm not saying that there is no overlap, but can you see a difference? Can you see the necessity for two words to describe two different forms of sentient behavior as opposed to being confined to only one word to describe these differences?  It's too big a subject for an email to go into all the many Scriptures to differentiate where the King James may or may not have it backwards. Hope this helps your understanding a little better.

God be with you,

Ray

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.