bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: allmighty  (Read 5162 times)

Morten

allmighty
« on: April 26, 2008, 09:26:12 PM »

i dont have a dictionary on this word. The word allmighty does it mean that you can do evrything that is possible? or does it include the impossible? (the things we think is impossible)
its good if someone has a dictionary to refer to.

Stevernator

Re: allmighty
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 10:40:45 PM »

from dictionary.com

1. having unlimited power; omnipotent, as God. 
2. having very great power, influence, etc.: The almighty press condemned him without trial. 
3. Informal. extreme; terrible: He's in an almighty fix. 
–adverb 4. Informal. extremely: It's almighty hot. 
–noun 5. the Almighty, God. 

Having absolute power; all-powerful: almighty God.
Informal Great; extreme: an almighty din.

1.  having unlimited power 

There are probably things God can do that we would think impossible (walking on water, healing sick etc.) However there are certain things that God does not do. For instance, God never lies or changes his mind, nor does He change.

Numbers 23:19
God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?

Im not sure if this means that he cannot do these things.

mharrell08

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 10:50:33 PM »

Pretty much any dictionary you look at will have almighty defined as all-powerful or omnipotent. Absolute sovereign is a good one too.

Matt. 19:16

But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible

Luke 18:27

And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God

Isaiah 45:6-7

That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else. I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things

These scriptures with Stevenator's post should give you the answers you seek.

musicman

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 12:36:40 AM »

from dictionary.com

1. having unlimited power; omnipotent, as God. 
2. having very great power, influence, etc.: The almighty press condemned him without trial. 
3. Informal. extreme; terrible: He's in an almighty fix. 
–adverb 4. Informal. extremely: It's almighty hot. 
–noun 5. the Almighty, God. 

Having absolute power; all-powerful: almighty God.
Informal Great; extreme: an almighty din.

1.  having unlimited power 

There are probably things God can do that we would think impossible (walking on water, healing sick etc.) However there are certain things that God does not do. For instance, God never lies or changes his mind, nor does He change.

Im not sure if this means that he cannot do these things.

Well, Bruce Almighty changed his mind a bunch of times.  And he lied cause he didn't tell his wife.  That makes me mad!!

Morten

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 07:39:43 AM »

Thank you for jusing your time to answer my question

because i had this question for a while ago, or someone asked me (before i got to bibletruth)

If God can create a rock that He cannot lift, then God is not omnipotent. If God cannot create a rock so heavy that He cannot lift it, then God is not omnipotent

Many have maybe seen that question before.

Well i answered that you can only do what is possible, like you cant create a two-sided triangle.
And a infinite rock is a contradiction since material objects cannot be infinite.

Roy Monis

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 10:58:46 AM »

Dear Morten

There is no rock heavy enough that God cannot lift. The whole world is His footstool He can kick it around if He wishes or hold it in the palm of His hand and that's but a grain of sand. So what's a mere rock? Now consider the Universe and then all the other millions of Universes created by Him. Makes the mind boggle, Does it not?

You don't need a dictionary to give you the meaning of Almighty. That is Almighty.

Love in Christ Jesus

Roy

Kat

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 11:23:05 AM »

Hi Morten,

Interesting the question you were asked.  I remember Ray having that quuestion in an email.  Here are the emails  :)

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6014.0.html --------

Dear Alexander:  To answer your email in detail would take weeks. Suffice it to say, that God DOES NOT "change His mind," and all Scriptures used to support such an idea are not being understood properly.  And how in the world (universe?) does the creation of the Universe prove that their CANNOT BE A GOD.  "Can God create a rock so large and heavy that he cannot lift it?" is not a logical, sane, or rational question. It is nothing but the foolishness of men. One might just as foolishly suggest that since God "CANNOT lie," that He therefore also "CANNOT tell the truth."  What a crock.

God be with you,
        Ray

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,978.0.html -------

Dear Charles:
You will have to get up a little earlier in the morning if you think you can trap me in your questions with a "yes" or "no" answer.  I will give you two questions to which I will now require of you to answer with a "yes" or "no" answer, and foolish assert to you that anything more is "from the evil one."

1.  Have you stoped beating your wife yet?

2.  Can God build a rock so large and so heavy that even He cannot lift it?

I await your answer (remember only a "yes" or a "no"--NO explanation or discussion).

sincerely yours,
Ray

I personally wouldn't have answered either of the foolish questions I asked you, Neither will I answer "Is the Holy Spirit God?" for the simple reason that you will then say that I believe in the pagan doctrine of the trinity, which I do not.

Give it up.
God be with you,
Ray

PS   My trinity paper explains your third question in great detail.

musicman

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 12:10:48 PM »

Actually, I do remember Ray answering the rock question in one snippet.  If the rock represents freewill, then yes, God cannot lift it.  Or maybe it's a rock that God cannot create.   

Morten

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 06:51:55 PM »

Thank you Kat.
But i didnt feel that i got a really good explanation from the dictonary.
But anyway. The thing about the rock it is a imposible question to answer because it is impossible thing to do.
But if you take away the gravity, then you have no weight. Cant you take away what you have created?

But it is foolishnes of men. Try always to find  faults on other things then their self, cant see their owns.

That was why i was asking if the word almighty means that you can do what ever it is possible. But i didnt think the dictonary explained it either ways.
But i think i got the answer

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.