bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Depressed and Unmotivated  (Read 11526 times)

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
Depressed and Unmotivated
« on: April 29, 2008, 11:14:18 AM »

I will try not to type and entire paragraph but I need some advice, some help, a kind word or whatever God inspires in your hearts!
I'm very depressed!! I have stage two diabetes and sleep apnea.
I'm overweight and a very lonely guy.
I have trouble with relationships and I'm pretty sure I'll be alone for the rest of my life.
I'm unmotivated!! I'm trying to lose weight and trying to take care of myself but I don't really fear for my life, I do fear pain and suffering and I don't won't to suffer to death or go through pain while dying.
I have people all around me offering help, but there just offers no help comes my way.
I'm torn between giving so much time to health and not to study.
Someone on here once told me that even studying scriptures can be an idol of the heart.
But where do I find motivation to do good for myself? How do I get out of this depressive state?
I feel a lot of people around me are not like minded enough to help me truly. Everyone has good intentions and there well received but I know I need spiritual help from men and women who love scripture!!! Thank you all for reading!!

Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

Rene

• Administrator
Re: Depressed and Unmotivated
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 11:46:57 AM »

Antaiwan,

You are in my prayers and I have much compassion for you and what you are going through.  You are not alone in this journey. 

I'm sending you a PM.

René

dogcombat

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 12:22:36 PM »

Antwain,

You are in a bit of a pickle.  But I can only suggest to you, that God has you right where He wants you.  Meaning HE'LL have the final say on your life from this point on.  When we think about our troubles, that puts the focus on OURSELVES.  Thus we can do NOTHING about OURSELVES.  I would advise you to ask God to reveal more of CHRIST to you.  This way you can keep your eye on Him in the midst of these troubles. 

Perhaps God is bringing you to the end of yourself right now to free you of some issues you may not be aware of.  I'm 42, and STILL a batchelor.  Halloween is the only time dogs run from me ;).  But I pray that God reveal more of Him to lead you out of this "valley of the shadow of death" (Ps. 23).

God be with you
Ches

hillsbororiver

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 12:29:46 PM »

Hi Antaiwan,

It is surprising to me that you would be feeling as you are, only because the times we have talked together (at the Conferences) you are always positive, upbeat and of good cheer. What is not surprising though is that you are experiencing a wilderness feeling, a dose of tribulation.

Act 14:22  Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.

As Rene' stated; "You are not alone."

You know Ray also suffers from diabetes and a few other ailments and still manages to get in some study time.  ;)

What you mentioned about studying scriptures as an idol of the heart I am sure can be true in some extreme cases where folks are neglecting things (they probably don't particularly enjoy) using the excuse of "studying" in an attempt to deflect criticism, we are to be temperate in all things and to be responsible for taking care of our households. If we read and read and read but never do the things He commands I am sure we will answer for it.

Perhaps you could email Ray with your health issues and study dilemma for some advice from someone who has walked in your shoes and has first hand experience in regard to what is troubling you Brother.

You are in my prayers.

Peace,

Joe

Roy Monis

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 04:34:56 PM »

Dear Antaivan.

I have never been in the position that you are in but, nevertheless, I can identify with you because I have had some very traumatic experiences and have now been cured. Believe me, you're going to laugh when I tell you and you won't be on your own, I did exactly the same thing when the carrier of the news told it to me. I have learned not to laugh at such anymore.

It is a story much too long for this email to go into it in detail, so I'll just gloss over it and pray to God that He'll do for you as He so graciously did for me. If there is any more help I can give please feel free to ask. Only people who have suffered so can appreciate how someone in your position truly feels.

It goes back a long way, way back to the 50s. I was a very heavy smoker; 30 to 40 cigarettes a day plus 5ozs of pipe tobacco a week. I developed a chesty hacking cough that rapidly proceeded to a stage where I was unable to take in a fresh supply of air, for not being able to stop coughing, with the result that I used to 
drop to the floor unconscious. Finally I was persuaded to visit the GP who immediately referred me to the chest clinic. Three X'ray scans were taken after which the consultant didn't mince his words. "Stop smoking and you may have a chance, if not you have at most six months." Then he held one of the plates to a light and asked, "What do you see?" My reply, "Two black blobs as they appear to me." He said, "That's right, those are where your lungs should be." Then he gave me the three photos with a parting word, "Stop smoking!"

A matter of a few weeks later, we had an unexpected few days visit from my brother who was an elder in his Church in South Australia. Recovering from one of my now frequent passing out fits I was greeted with no trace of sympathy with this advice; "Time you quit that disgusting habit!" to which I responded, "Easier said than done." "Easier than you think." came the reply. "So what's the miraculous panacea?" I asked. Yes you've probably guessed it, "Just ask Jesus." came the confident response. I wasn't a believer then so I burst out laughing.

Things moved fast, brother Bernie returned home and I still kept on coughing and having those passing out phases. Then it happened. The day arrived when God decided to pay me a visit. My wife, Alice went at my asking to fetch me s supply of cigarettes and tobacco, in her absence while I was attending to some business matter, T had another attack and flake out unconscious. All I can remember is that when I came round my finger nails were buried into the settee and I was trying to lift myself up and in the process while on my knees I remember uttering the plea, "Jesus, please help me." that's all. That was my prayer.

As I settled myself into my chair I heard the front door open and my wife say, "You owe me ?..." I can't remember how much it was, it didn't come into the equation at the time. All I do remember is without thinking, "Please take it back, love, and buy yourself a nice bag of toffee, I've stopped smoking." "Oh yes, I've heard that before, but next time you'll fetch your own."  The Lord took her home over eighteen months ago and over forty five years have passed but I still wait for her, next time,  prediction to be fulfilled.

When my revisit to the chest clinic was due, I could see both my lungs very clearly and it's still a mystery for the consultant who had pronounced the death sentence.

That my brother is the truth and it is the power of the Lord Jesus Christ, and this before I ever knew Him, but now I do so never ever laugh or the last laugh will be on you, I promise.

You are in a much, much better position than I ever was, you know Him. So my advice is to get down on your knees, because very soon you, I and all the world from Adam down will have do it, and ask for Him to relieve your pain. On the other hand, my brother, who is to say that you are not one of His specially chosen few who are being put through the fiery trials before being accepted as sons in His Kingdom? So with that beautiful thought in your mind lift yourself up out of the state of dark depression and face the world, if God is with you who can be against you?

God bless you and my prayers are with you.

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy.

Kat

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 06:40:53 PM »

Hi Antaiwan,

I can only imagine what it must be like to suffer with disease and illness, but we all have our own trials to bare. 
Do the best you can to improve your health and turn it over to God.  Seek God and throw yourself on His mercy, that's all you can do.
I do pray that you will be strengthen and that you may come to have the peace only He can give.

Mat 11:28  Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. v. 29  Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. v. 30  For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Stevernator

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 07:59:42 PM »

Hi Antaiwan,
I struggled with some of the things you mentioned. I've often felt depressed, lonely, unmotivated and went through some really tough times spiritually. I will spare the details on the forum but finally I was really depressed and confused so I just prayed hard and gave up to God said I want to be good, I really need your help etc. I found that God will not do all the work for you but He will forgive you and pick you up when you fall and maybe even work some things out for you!
I want you to know that you should not be ashamed or anything like that because everyone needs help sometimes so its ok to lean on others. I recommend taking some more time for yourself and your health (diet/exercise), and giving scriptures a break for a little bit. Try to get out more maybe get out to eat with a friend or go to a movie, or better yet some place cool like a park or festival or something. Just try to put yourself out there a little bit and be friendly. And if you get to talking don't be afraid to say yeah life is rough right now. It helps a lot for someone to just know what you're going through.  What really meant the difference for me is that I found some people really care for me and that changed everything.

Life can be a battle and sometimes all you can do is keep fighting and take steps here and there. Feel free to msg me if you want to talk more or hear what I went through.

Take care man!
your friend,
Steve

Akira329

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 09:16:02 PM »

I'd like to thank everyone for there kind words and needful advice!! :)
Thank you for your prayers also!!
I know this journey is going to be very difficult for me because I can be so stubborn at times.
It gets so bad sometimes that I even push away friends who try to help.
I've listened to Ray's audio on repentance all last week and today and realize there is so much that I need
to repent of. Changing my habits I know will only allow me to progress further!
I do thank God for these trials, I don't think I'd be the person I am today without them.
Sometimes I pray I become a better man regardless if my health improves or not.
I know bodily exercise profits little.
Roy I would hate for it to take experiences like that for me to stop what I'm doing to myself but if God willing
I can not prevent.
Thanks again everyone! This is why I love this forum so much!!

Antaiwan
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 09:23:46 PM »

An operation performed primarily to reduce weight in the obese has some startlingly positive side effects on type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, coronary artery disease and even cancer. Lesley Stahl reports.

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=4029652n

Dennis

Patrick

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 10:05:46 PM »

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,7086.0.html

Quote from: Ray

God is your Father and Jesus is your Elder Brother and Saviour. TALK to them of your feelings, and your needs, and your desires, and your frustrations, and everything that is on your mind. When I awake each morning I pray for those coming to our site;  I pray for my web master and my best friends;  I pray for my wife and daughter;  I pray for wisdom and understanding;  I pray for humility--I pray for EVERYTHING THAT IS ON MY MIND!  I KNOW that God is (not there) but HERE, right where I am. If I thought for one moment that God was not hearing me and answering me and concerned over me and loving me--I wouldn't pray at all.  I do not pray as the Church does that God will "CHANGE HIS MIND" about things that are happening and make things better for me than He originally intended. I thank God that He NEVER EVER CHANGES HIS MIND.  There is great security in that profound truth.  God ALWAYS does things RIGHT the FIRST time around!!

We must stop asking God to "get in tune with OUR WISHES," and begin asking God to "get us in tune WITH HIS WISHES!"  Remember always the words of our Lord:  "THY WILL be done...."
    And as Jesus Himself prayed in the garden, "NOT as I will but as THOU" (Matt. 26:39). There is nothing easier than to talk with a close friend. Jesus is OUR FRIEND and we are HIS FRIEND if we obey Him (John 15:14) .  I will pray for you that God will be as real to you as you are to you.
    Ray 

Antaiwan, your in my prayers, my brother and friend!

musicman

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 05:01:49 PM »

Antawan:
Don't be too quick to dismiss physical exercise as an answer.  I realize that God does not give bonus points for it but it has benefits that go way beyond being in good shape.  It helps people feel better.  Not just about their looks or knowing that they're in better shape.  It also helps people think better and tends to wipe out depression, even if only temporarily.  I find that bike riding is not that strenuous and gets the endorphins going after about a half hour of it.  You will probably think happier thoughts if you get your physical body working for you by increasing your metabolism.  I ride my bike as much as 50 miles a week and it has kept me feeling as upbeat as I can possibly be in my situation.  I also am single and have about the most trying job imaginable.  The exercise has freed me from dwelling on the negative, rather looking to God's will for me.  I guaranty it will help you if you follow your doctor's guidelines.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 09:05:18 PM by musicman »

Roy Monis

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 06:47:17 AM »

Dear Atawan    ;)

I always tend to view my situation from the perspective of the illustrious company I'm in;

"If the world hateth you, ye know that it hath hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world, the world would love its own: but because ye are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. Remember the word that I said unto you, A servant is not greater than his lord. If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they kept my word, they will keep yours also. But all these things will they do unto you for my name’s sake, because they know not him that sent me." (Jn.15:18-21).

Take heart brother, we're all in the same boat and there is no danger of it sinking with the Master Skipper at the helm.

God bless.

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy

hillsbororiver

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 09:28:08 AM »

Antaiwan,

I totally agree with musicman in regard to exercise, riding a bike or even a brisk walk for at least 20 minutes does wonders for your state of mind and of course your metabolism.

In the early evenings when riding my bike I often have some excellent One on one conversations with our Lord as I observe and meditate on the signatures He leaves on all His creation. It is very peaceful and relaxing. On the weekend mornings I drag my kayak to the backyard and head off down the Hillsborough River to hear all the birds, observe the turtles and other creatures doing what they do, it is great, no radios, tv's, Internet, cell phones, etc.

His Peace to you Brother,

Joe

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 11:23:28 AM »

Fish Oil is good for depression too.

Akira329

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 12:40:06 AM »

Hey Dennis,
I watched that video and have considered bypass but I didn't know it helped so many other problems.
I really don't want to have surgery, i feel like I can do this through regular excercise.
I just need discipline and motivation to do so.
I was encouraged by a few people on here and I thank you all for that!!
Thank you Patrick too!!
This is why I love coming here!!
Thank you guys for the edification! :)
-Albert Einstein
- Jesus

joyful1

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 07:48:47 AM »

Deuteronomy 31:8
The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.

Hold on, dear brother....I am praying for you!
Joyce :)

Roy Monis

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 08:17:33 AM »

Good one Joyce!

I have carried three verses of that Scripture in my wallet these past 30 to 40 years and it can be found in my wallet today but rather faded over time; "Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Then Moses called to Joshua and said to him in the sight of all Israel, Be strong and courageous, for you shall go with this people into the land which the Lord has sworn to their fathers to give them, and you shall give it to them as an inheritance. The Lord is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” (Deut.31:6-8).

Take heed Akira329 and God will strengthen you and so will my prayers.

Love in Christ Jesus

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 01:48:22 PM »

Wow! Joyful1....that even beats the coffee! :)..breathtaking! 8)

joyful1

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 02:12:46 PM »

Yes indeed, Deb...our God paints beautiful paintings...that inspire artists of the Human variety! ;)

brandon h

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2008, 08:42:25 PM »

Antawain,

I just want to join in with our fellow brothers and sisters and send prayer your way. The hardest part may be submitting it all to God; but remeber to thank him for his will even in the darkest times for his will is perfect in the imperfections of this world.

Be strong in Christ
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.