bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ten Commandments in Cajun  (Read 12183 times)

Matt

The Ten Commandments in Cajun
« on: April 29, 2008, 10:59:08 PM »

1. God is number one... and das' All.
2. Don't pray to nuttin' or nobody... jus' God.
3. Don't cuss nobody... 'specially da Good Lord.
4. When it be Sunday... pass yo'self by God's House.
5. Yo mama an' yo daddy dun did it all... lissen to dem.
6. Killin' duck an' fish, das' OK... people - No!
7. God done give you a wife... sleep wit' jus' her.
8. Don't take nobody's boat... or nuttin' else.
9. Don't go wantin' somebody's stuff.
10. Stop lyin'... yo tongue gonna fall out yo mouf!

Matt :D

frecklegirl417

Re: The Ten Commandments in Cajun
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 01:05:57 PM »

;D   Very cute, Mathew!

ellie77

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 05:49:45 AM »

Well if we put NO 10 up in every pulpit in the Christian(?) churches....... ;D

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 06:19:03 AM »

You see. God can cross over every language barrior 8) ;D :D

Roy Monis

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 10:00:51 AM »

Hi! Matt.

I like that, that's great stuff. Where or what is Cajun? Never heard of it, but there again I'm stupid. Keep coming with some more Cajun Scripture.

God bless.

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy

joyful1

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 02:09:11 PM »

Brother Roy....I happen to know a little bit about "Cajun" from experience....I was born in the South of the USA and knew about "Cajun" and "Acadian" culture centered in Louisiana...then I moved to Eastern Canada. Lo and behold....I started hearing about the "Acadian" people here(1,800 miles away!).....sometimes the word "Cajun" would be used.  They are basically interchangable.  Here is the explanation from acadian-cajun.com:

Usually, the word Cajun is used to describe those French people from south Louisiana. But the term Acadian is sometimes used; and when one looks into it, they find that their ancestors in fact were Acadians from Canada. Acadians and Cajuns are the same ... yet they are different. The Acadians were French settlers who settled the area (now known as Nova Scotia) in the 1600's. In the mid 18th century, they were exiled by the British. Over the following 30 years, several thousand of the exiled Acadians made their way to south Louisiana.
     Over the next 100+ years, the Acadians became the dominant culture in certain areas of south Louisiana. They retained much of their culture, and absorbed some of the other cultural influences. The German, Spanish, French, English, Indian and other cultures added to the Acadian culture to produce the Cajun culture. The word "Cajun" comes from the word "Acadian"...

I personally love  jambalaya, gumbo and bread pudding....three famous Cajun dishes! I love the "Cajun" music too....foot stomping, fiddles and harmonica with a near-Celtic flair to it! :)

Patrick

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 03:09:38 PM »

I like fried gator tail and boiled mudbugs. ;D

Roy Monis

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 03:54:59 PM »

Hi! sister Joyce.

You have been around. I just love bread pudding, I never knew it was Cajun. But the language is so lovely sort of poetical to me and I'm no poet. Let's have more Cajun I say.

God bless and thanks for the education.

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy.

Roy Monis

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 04:00:09 PM »

Hi! Patrick

I'm supposed to be learning God's Word, but you've got me curious, what on earth are "gator tail" and "Boiled mudbugs for goodness sake? 87 and still learning, what!!!

God bless.

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy.

Patrick

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 07:47:44 PM »

Hi! Patrick

I'm supposed to be learning God's Word, but you've got me curious, what on earth are "gator tail" and "Boiled mudbugs for goodness sake? 87 and still learning, what!!!

God bless.

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy.

Roy,
gator tail/alligator
mudbug/crawfish (crayfish); http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crayfish

Spent many summer vacations in Louisiana; my mom is a Cajun.

Kat

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 10:23:41 PM »

Hi Roy,

I live in South Mississippi, not Cajun though.  But I would say the heart of Cajun country is New Orleans, that's not too far from me.

Here is a link to a little Cajun music you might like to hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnJKn1nZDuA

And here is a classic Cajun tale.

The Tar-Baby
Written by Joel Chandler Harris

"Didn't the fox never catch the rabbit, Uncle Remus?" asked the little boy the next evening.

"He came mighty nigh it, honey, sho's you born - Brer Fox did. One day after Brer Rabbit fool 'im wid dat calamus root, Brer Fox went ter wuk en got 'im some tar, en mix it wid some turkentime, en fix up a contrapshun w'at he call a Tar-Baby, en he tuck dish yer Tar-Baby en he sot 'er in de big road, en den he lay off in de bushes fer to see what de news wuz gwine ter be. En he didn't hatter wait long, nudder, kaze bimeby here come Brer Rabbit pacin' down de road - lippity-clippity, clippity-lippity - dez ez sassy ez a jay-bird. Brer Fox, he lay low. Brer Rabbit come prancin' long twel he spy de Tar-Baby, en den he fotch up on his behime legs like he wuz 'stonished. De Tar-Baby, she sot dar, she did, en Brer Fox, he lay low.

" 'Mawnin'!' sez Brer Rabbit, sezee - 'nice wedder dis mawnin',' sezee.

"Tar-Baby ain't sayin' nothin', en Brer Fox, he lay low.

" 'How duz yo' sym'tums seem ter segashuate?' sez Brer Rabbit, sezee.

"Brer Fox, he wink his eye slow, en lay low, en de Tar-Baby, she ain't sayin' nothin'.

" 'How you ecome on, den? Is you deaf?' sez Brer Rabbit, sezee. 'Kaze if you is, I kin holler louder,' sezee.

"Tar-Baby stay still, en Brer Fox, he lay low.

" 'You er stuck up, dat's w'at you is,' says Brer Rabbit, sezee, 'en I'm gwine ter kyore you, dat's what I'm a gwine ter do,' sezee.

"Brer Fox, he sorter chuckle in his stummick, he did, but Tar-Baby ain't sayin' nothin'.

" 'I'm gwine ter larn you how ter talk ter 'spectubble folks ef hit's de las' ack,' sez Brer Rabbit, sezee. 'Ef you don't take off dat hat en tell me howdy, I'm gwin ter bus' you wide open,' sezee.

"Tar-Baby stay still, en Brer Fox he lay low.

"Brer Rabbit keep on axin' 'im, en de Tar-Baby, she keep on sayin' nothin', twel present'y Brer Rabbit drew back wid his fis', he did, en bilp he tuck 'er side er de head. Right dar's whar he broke his merlasses jug. His fis' stuck, en he can't pull loose. De tar hilt 'im. But Tar-Baby, she stay still, en Brer Fox, he lay low.

" 'Ef you don't lemme loose, I'll knock you agin,' sez Brer Rabbit, sezee, en wid dat he fotch 'er a wipe wid de udder han' en dat stuck. Tar-Baby, she ain't sayin' nothin', en Brer Fox, he lay low.

" 'Tu'n me loose, fo' I kick de natchul stuffin' out'n you,' sez Brer Rabbit, sezee, but de Tar-Baby, she ain't sayin' nothing. She des hilt on, en den Brer Rabbit lose de use er his feet in de same way. Brer Fox, he lay low. Den Brer Rabbit squall out dat ef de Tar-Baby don't tu'n 'im loose he butt 'er cranksided. En den he butted, en his head got stuck. Den Brer Fox, he sa'ntered fort', lookin' des ez innercent ez one er yo' mammy's mockin' birds.

" 'Howdy, Brer Rabbit," sez Brer Fox, sezee. 'You look sorter stuck up dis mawin',' sezee, en den he rolled on de groun', en laughed en laughed twel he couldn't laugh no mo'.

'I speck you'll take dinner wid me dis time, Brer Rabbit. I done laid in some calamus root, en I ain't gwine ter take no skuse,' sez Brer Fox, sezee."

Here Uncle Remus paused, and drew a two-pound yam out of the ashes.

"Did the Fox eat the Rabbit?" asked the little boy to whom the story had been told.

"Dat's all de fur de tale goes," replied the old man. "He mought, en den again he moughtent. Some say Jedge B'ar come long en loosed 'im - some say he didn't. I hear Miss Sally callin'. You beter run 'long.
--------------------------------------------------------------

How did you like that, I remember hearing that when I was a little girl, many yrs ago.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

p.s. Joyce don't forget about red beans and rice  :)

« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 10:30:19 PM by Kat »

Roy Monis

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 07:15:25 AM »

Hi! Patrick

If mudbug means crayfish, move over buddy and reserve a place for me at your table. But gator tail gives me the impression of being something like sheep's head here in Lancashire. That doesn't rouse my taste buds, not one bit.

Lovely stuff, what a life God be blessed.

Thanks for the education. I pray for wisdom, the Lord is certainly providing it.

God bless.

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy.

Patrick

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 04:16:17 PM »

Roy, I was tricked into trying gator tail; it was cut up in chunks, I thought it was fried catfish.  :)

It took me about 3 years to try soft shell crab; I would just shake my head when mom would prepare it. Why in the world would anyone eat the shell of a crab? ::)
Good eats!

I can only imagine what sheep's head would taste like; I'll put it in the same category as Rocky Mountain oysters (bull testicles) ::). No thanks!

joyful1

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »

:D Brothers Roy and Patrick--
I went to camp one time on the Hillsborough River-- we learned to canoe and make ropes, shoot arrows and eat "gator balls"-- alligator meat ground up and made into meat balls and fried. They didn't tell us it was alligator meat until we ate them! MAN! I was sooo mad!! But a great camp otherwise! heheeh!

Kat--red beans and rice...YES! Love it! I also like the Spanish/Cuban version of black beans with rice, onions and fried plantains...for Brother Roy; plantains are banana like fruit that you slice and saute in brown sugar and rum....YUM! all this Bible study is making me hungry! ;DJoyce  :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 02:39:05 PM by joyful1 »

Matt

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 09:42:28 PM »

My wife is Cajun and she would tease everyone who calls them crayfish or mudbugs :P
They call them Crawfish and nuttin else ;D

Matt

cherokee

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 10:15:55 PM »

Here in Kentucky we call'um crawdads. :D

Suzie

winner08

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 10:40:15 PM »

I was born and raised in New Orleans. Me and my family live in slidell which is right outside of New Orleans. This is so funny. I just got finish making crawfish gumbo. 2lbs crawfish tails.Go to your supermarket and buy the Gumbo base in the box. It's great. Add a pack a frozen okra, an onion and some garlic. wham, you've got a great dish. There's a saying down here when something taste so good you can't describe it. Please no one take any offence to this. People say,"It's so good it make you wanna slap your mama".This is a complament. Don't ask me way people down here say this but they do. I've been hearing this since I was a little kid. Anyways If anybody wants any info on cooking Cajun style just send me a P.M.

Enjoy

Darren

winner08

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 10:48:49 PM »

By the way, gator tail is great. It's white meat and it's best if grilled. brush the meat with lemon, garlic and onion powder salt and pepper to taste. That's all you need for a great dish.

Darren

joyful1

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 12:00:59 PM »

;D In the backwoods of Florida...we used to have "swamp cabbage," anybody here ever eat "swamp cabbage?"  The best by far, though would be fried mullet with grits (with butter and sugar on them)....and ripe mangos and guavas! YUM to the 1000th degree!!  ;D

Patrick

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 11:30:43 PM »

My wife is Cajun and she would tease everyone who calls them crayfish or mudbugs :P
They call them Crawfish and nuttin else ;D

Matt

Teasing is nothing new to me, Matt.  ;D

My mom is Cajun, my dad was an adopted Native American/Caucasian; I'm red headed and have a Scottish name. ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.