bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mentally disable  (Read 6807 times)

ez2u

mentally disable
« on: May 07, 2008, 08:01:49 AM »

Yesterday my mentally disable son rode the bus over to my home it took him 2 1/2 hours as he left from the college he attends part time.  Each day he goes to college and rides the bus system for 2 hours each way that would normally take us 1/2 hour to get to his school.  He lives in a rat infested roach infested home fill with old people that have daily problems with their bowels.  The food is terrible mostly canned and the staff that works there isn't much better off than the clients with their mentally state.  There is no money for the mentally ill and my son is one of the lucky ones that isn't living out on the streets.  His struggles are much more acute than most peoples.   the discrimination factor with the mentally ill in most areas of life is high.  They are  regular abused. Sometimes he speaks of having a wife and a child but who wants a schizophrenic for a spouse?  He doesn't own a car most of his clothes are bought at Good Will  and like most LRF  trying to kept  your socks and underwear  from not being stolen is to put them in lock and key draw.  When I drove him home last night I went into his roomed shared by two other older gentlemen   it smelled to high heaven of urine.  After opening the door to get some fresh air because the smell was too much the staff member proceeded to bawl me out yelling at me because I had left the door open at night.  She is a diabetic and very disturb herself.   There is no funding for the mentally disable and the pay is so low many times the staff member will live on the facility as part of the benefit of the job.  In this rich area of the country this is the only facility for the mentally ill and my son is not welfare.  Please pray for the mentally disable today.  Peggy

hebrewroots98

Re: mentally disable
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 10:37:02 AM »

HI Peggy!  What city is this place in?  It sounds terrible to have to endure, is there not an agency that you could call to get the place cleaned up? If nothing else, maybe you could gather a group of volunteers who could get in there and help out where needed? 

Praying here.... 

joyful1

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 12:03:41 PM »

Hi Peggy--
Certainly I will pray!  I also have a son that is profoundly mentally and physically disabled.  But I have been able to stay at home with him all these years and take care of him myself.  I dread the day that I must release him to a care facility.  My deepest fear is that he will be molestated in a care facility and will not be able to defend himself or even tell anyone that he is being abused, since he cannot speak.  He is in his early 20's, but much like a 6 month old baby.  I'm a registered nurse and have seen such abuse in care facilities first hand. It does happen, but no one wants to talk about it. IT's just too hideous to think about.  I don't know what percentage of the perpetrators are caught and prosecuted in this country...but clearly, it goes on.  Peggy--of one thing, I am sure...and that is; this struggle is not in vain. As heartbreaking as this journey gets at times....nothing happens without PURPOSE.  God knows everything about our sons as well as the pain in our hearts for our children......to be able to help them. Please tell us more about your situation, if you are able to.  My prayers are for you to be able to get him OUT of that facility TODAY!
Sincerely,
Joyce :)

brandon h

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 10:45:23 PM »

Wow. Well I can send my prayers but must admit that I can not know what it's like to endure such trials and heartache. My wife and I will be trying to have a baby soon, and the thought of going through such things scares me alittle, though I would love it regardless.

God Bless

musicman

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 11:42:26 PM »

Every time I think about these worldly issues I am filled with rage.  There are funding cuts all over for different services.  And who's behind it all.  Well, I'd tell you but the post would be deleated.  Best of luck with your son.

kweli

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 08:05:19 AM »

musicman, how come you know stuff that gets deleted? do/did you work for the fbeye/ceyea/kgbee/seenn/etc and forgot that you're not supposed to say those things to the general public?
 :D :D :D

ez2u

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 02:39:09 PM »

Hebrew thank you for your response  but this is the only home for these people in the two cities,  a lot of things have been been over looked by health department because these people would not have a roof over their heads if this place was shut down.  There just isn't the money. By the way a Christian old black woman runs the place and she is a woman of prayer.  Mostly the old is there dying.  what a blessing it is to be able to die with your family beside you.  Its easy to see all the troubles of this world and think we are god that we have to do something about these troubles  but each time I have tried to help the Lord has firmly shut the door, and I have tried.  There are many people out there like me and my son  for what ever reason  living on the edge.  Always having troubles and heartaches heap up on.  Gods mercies and grace i have seen and in order to survive and not drown in this sea of troubles  I've had to hold on to Jesus.  But what about other countries?  like the Congo?  and the women and children  and their sufferings?  so much more     this forum is directed to the teachings of being form into the image of Christ as a elected one chosen by God.  Jesus suffered for the glory that was set before him, but he descended down to do the Will of the Father and to do so He took on the flesh of man.  Most peoples lives in the U.S. is very comfortable, we have a lot.  Compare us to other places.  I find our nature strives for that comfort and we justified and escapes from the suffering and tell each other we have rights setting up our imaginary standards of what is human and inhuman.  God is so much more than us and our pea brains and what His Will and His standards are what is including the Congo and my sons' home.  This is hard for me to accept.  I posted a song by Mahalia Jackson last month "  Lord don't move the mountain"  this saint of God knew something I did not.  Give me strength to climb.  there must be something more than changing our troubles our mind changing solutions.  I do not like the cross the crucifying of my flesh it hurts  way down deep inside of me.    I endure because i see others that have and this hopes is before me by the shedding of His blood.  Can we move with out Him?  do we or is it just a few whom He has chosen to this narrow way of restriction.  This Way we talk about on this forum, turning it upside down and inside out.  Do we really want it?  or do we just enjoy the delusion of being a chosen one?  Each time I am led over one mountain there is another flesh mountain to climb.  I heard everyone saying  something is wrong with your life for you to have to endure so much  or pray and cast away those demons.  ect...Who am i  no one.  We are simple born unto suffering.  I pray my testimony will not be God I am glad i am dying, at the end of my life.  I believe letting go, acceptance is some of the Way to the Father.  Maybe we could talk more about these attributes.  " what to do when the salt shaker is turn over and the contents is being pour out."  Personally my breath  is getting suck out and its slowing me down.  peggy

joyful1

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 03:10:20 PM »

Peggy--

For you, dear sister....

Is it in the overcoming that we finally see His face?
What pain and fiery troubles now befall us in this race!
I dare not ask tomorrow's woes,
It's more than I can bare,
I know His arms and loving voice,
will find me when I'm there.

Love,
Joyce  :)

Karen

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 03:16:28 PM »

Hi Peggy

I shall be praying for you and your son that you may experience Peace in your life.

I found your posting very moving, especially with regard to our 'pea brain' and what we imagine to be the right standard of life. You make an extremely valid point, I have had these thoughts also. I am not sure that I could accept your circumstances as my lot. But I shall pray His will for your life and the strength to be in it.

I have a brother who suffers with Schizophrenia, his situation is not good. He is a gentle person and did marry later in life to a lady who is agaraphobic and with other stuff such as obsesive thoughts. Their situation is not as bad as you describe your sons to be, but it is not as good as I would like it to be for them. I also feel for my ageing mother who is concerned about what may happen to her son after she is gone. I find myself as an advocate for some of these people who are more vulnerable than myself. It's not easy, as here in the UK, these people are not really looked after either.

It has been an ache in my heart to see such people 'set free' ( a thought that has definately come from my old Chritian mentality) but God is in control, so who am I to argue with Him? But I suppose I would like to see my nation deal more justly with these more needy people. As I believe they have gifts and talents to offer to others.

Maybe I am just consoling myself, but if I am then God is letting me!

God bless you Peggy and your son.

In His wonderful Love
Karen

Karen

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 03:38:16 PM »

Just to say Peggy
I listened to your link, Praise Him in the Storm.

My prayer is that we may always know He is with us and I was reminded that one day , there will be no more tears.
Thank God
love Karen

musicman

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 09:26:47 PM »

musicman, how come you know stuff that gets deleted? do/did you work for the fbeye/ceyea/kgbee/seenn/etc and forgot that you're not supposed to say those things to the general public?
 :D :D :D

I know very little that most other people don't also know.  Many deny these things though.  Or they benefit from the very things that destroy the rest of us.  Anyway, this forum must remain free of the P word.  It's a good thing too, because I can't stand it when the R people spew their babylonian agendas on the site.

Robin

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 05:23:49 AM »

Hi Peggy,

Is he only diagnosed as schizophrenic? Is there any form of mild mental retardation? I know that there are many more services available for the developmentally disabled than for the mentally ill. We have many clients with schizophrenia who live in nice facilities because they also have mental retardation of some form, which qualifies them for services.

It is very sad that there isn't much available for the mentally ill. I've seen it myself. Our clients live in a beautiful home that is regulated be the state and there will be a board and care right across the street for the mentally ill that is horrible. It doesn't make any sense why they offer so much to the developmentally disabled and not the mentally ill.

I don't know what state you live in, but it might be worth a try to have him evaluated if you haven't already to see if he qualifies for the other program. Do you know what his IQ is?

I will be praying for both of you. I do believe you are right when it comes to acceptance. I've been really struggling with it myself and it seems that is what God wants from me. He is in control.

Hugs,
MG

ez2u

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 01:19:56 PM »

MG  no he is a genius.  Math, he doesn't learn but absorbs.  every thing he does is top notch.  All my children  excel in Math I failed Algebra.
It is fascinating to talk with Josh, his teacher at the college he attends part time mostly enjoy him.  A course it is apparent, his illness, but the things he says opens your mind to so much more in thinking.  Some of his problem is his genius and the other is the Schizophrenic effective disorder.  He can be hard to deal with the paranoid behavior. We are still in the dark ages with these people medicating them up instead of exploring Abram Hoffer work of Niacin with vitamin C.  Money  big business  greed  how many lives has that hurt.  come Lord Jesus drawing closer to Him to walk the walk and do all that I can is one step closer to helping this trouble harsh world  we all so feel too many times and ring our hands in despair  peggy

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 04:37:07 PM »

Yesterday my mentally disable son rode the bus over to my home it took him 2 1/2 hours as he left from the college he attends part time.  Each day he goes to college and rides the bus system for 2 hours each way that would normally take us 1/2 hour to get to his school.  He lives in a rat infested roach infested home fill with old people that have daily problems with their bowels.  The food is terrible mostly canned and the staff that works there isn't much better off than the clients with their mentally state.  There is no money for the mentally ill and my son is one of the lucky ones that isn't living out on the streets.  His struggles are much more acute than most peoples.   the discrimination factor with the mentally ill in most areas of life is high.  They are  regular abused. Sometimes he speaks of having a wife and a child but who wants a schizophrenic for a spouse?  He doesn't own a car most of his clothes are bought at Good Will  and like most LRF  trying to kept  your socks and underwear  from not being stolen is to put them in lock and key draw.  When I drove him home last night I went into his roomed shared by two other older gentlemen   it smelled to high heaven of urine.  After opening the door to get some fresh air because the smell was too much the staff member proceeded to bawl me out yelling at me because I had left the door open at night.  She is a diabetic and very disturb herself.   There is no funding for the mentally disable and the pay is so low many times the staff member will live on the facility as part of the benefit of the job.  In this rich area of the country this is the only facility for the mentally ill and my son is not welfare.  Please pray for the mentally disable today.  Peggy

Hi peggy,

I am deeply moved by your story and deeply saddened to see this taking place. Their are many evils in this world that are just unbelievable. How could anyone run a place in which the rooms smell to high heaven of urin. Is their not a caretaker around to help clean the rooms? What a sad condition for your son to have to deal with. I am so sorry to hear this... I wish their was a way i could make all the evil in this world go away.. but i am powerless to even help myself.. how can i help others? What a harsh and difficult reality it is to come to when we realize we of ourselves can do nothing.. yet it is also a reality that gives hope, knowing that our Father is fully in controle and that HE IS LOVE! I know He moves in our lives and is not idol, it's the patience part that is the hardest for all of us i think, because we all want to act, we all want to help and change things now and yet our Father says "Be patiente my child, these things shall i do in my time."

So we wait.. with prayer and hope. I pray for your son peggy and for your family as well as all those who struggle in this condition. Your son will not be forgotten when i pray.

Thanks for sharing and God bless you,

Alex

frecklegirl417

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 02:29:03 PM »

:'(   Peggy,

I am sorry to read your son's and your dilemma. I work in a mental hospital and I see family's everyday struggling to cope and get by. I am sorry to hear of the terrible living situation your son has to live with. I wish people could live in the shoes of the mentally disabled and their families to truly understand. My youngest brother suffers with bipolar( he has audible hallucinations) disorder and lives with my parents. My parents pray everyday that when they wake up he is still alive. It is hard to deal with but they day may come when they have to put him in a home and it scares all of us. You and your family are in my prayers. I only wish I could help you and your son find a better place for him.

With God's Love,
                                                                          Frecklegirl(Pam)

brandon h

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 10:55:01 PM »

Hebrew thank you for your response  but this is the only home for these people in the two cities,  a lot of things have been been over looked by health department because these people would not have a roof over their heads if this place was shut down.  There just isn't the money. By the way a Christian old black woman runs the place and she is a woman of prayer.  Mostly the old is there dying.  what a blessing it is to be able to die with your family beside you.  Its easy to see all the troubles of this world and think we are god that we have to do something about these troubles  but each time I have tried to help the Lord has firmly shut the door, and I have tried.  There are many people out there like me and my son  for what ever reason  living on the edge.  Always having troubles and heartaches heap up on.  Gods mercies and grace i have seen and in order to survive and not drown in this sea of troubles  I've had to hold on to Jesus.  But what about other countries?  like the Congo?  and the women and children  and their sufferings?  so much more     this forum is directed to the teachings of being form into the image of Christ as a elected one chosen by God.  Jesus suffered for the glory that was set before him, but he descended down to do the Will of the Father and to do so He took on the flesh of man.  Most peoples lives in the U.S. is very comfortable, we have a lot.  Compare us to other places.  I find our nature strives for that comfort and we justified and escapes from the suffering and tell each other we have rights setting up our imaginary standards of what is human and inhuman.  God is so much more than us and our pea brains and what His Will and His standards are what is including the Congo and my sons' home.  This is hard for me to accept.  I posted a song by Mahalia Jackson last month "  Lord don't move the mountain"  this saint of God knew something I did not.  Give me strength to climb.  there must be something more than changing our troubles our mind changing solutions.  I do not like the cross the crucifying of my flesh it hurts  way down deep inside of me.    I endure because i see others that have and this hopes is before me by the shedding of His blood.  Can we move with out Him?  do we or is it just a few whom He has chosen to this narrow way of restriction.  This Way we talk about on this forum, turning it upside down and inside out.  Do we really want it?  or do we just enjoy the delusion of being a chosen one?  Each time I am led over one mountain there is another flesh mountain to climb.  I heard everyone saying  something is wrong with your life for you to have to endure so much  or pray and cast away those demons.  ect...Who am i  no one.  We are simple born unto suffering.  I pray my testimony will not be God I am glad i am dying, at the end of my life.  I believe letting go, acceptance is some of the Way to the Father.  Maybe we could talk more about these attributes.  " what to do when the salt shaker is turn over and the contents is being pour out."  Personally my breath  is getting suck out and its slowing me down.  peggy

Peggy as a younger believer who has endured less than you I admire your walk in the Lord. Your seasoned with the trials and tribulations the Way brings. You ask a very valid question. Do we really want it? Of course those who are chosen have no say in the matter, but it's a humbling question nonetheless. It entails hardship! Sometimes hardship after hardship afterhardship! But you've endured this long through God's grace, my dear sister. Thank you for sharing your hardships, as they remind us of the road to our destination. My prayers are with you.

Be strong in Christ

Robin

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 01:42:52 AM »

I will also continue to pray for you Peggy.

Housing is so hard here that we sometimes need 3 roommates so my clients can afford to live in an apartment. One of my clients with developmental disabilities found a roommate who has mental illness. It's a match made in heaven. Our staff is there several times a week and also keeps and eye on the roommate who doesn't get any services because his IQ is too high. I wish you could find something like that for your son. We have such a hard time finding roommates. Maybe God will open new doors for you in his time.

ez2u

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 01:43:31 AM »

thank you all for your prayers.  I am looking again for a better place for Joshua.  I get a little down at times and your words and prayer were a blessing.  thanks a lot  In Jesus Peggy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 17 queries.