bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Being a Christian is bad?  (Read 26243 times)

David

Re: Being a Christian is bad?
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 10:04:57 PM »

these days even nondenominational is a denomination.

Very true. In my experience none denominational Churches use their none denominational status as an excuse to include a bit of everything, they have baptisms, pentacostal style babling and jesticulating etc, the sacraments and so on.

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 10:26:55 PM »

Folks,

After the Nashville conference last year, I returned home to my little group of Church of God, Abrahamic fellowship and tried to share what I had learned from the conference and from many attending such as Gena and Rene.

I have said that it was difficult for me to just abandon them since they really needed some enlightenment.
After an additional year of leading Bible studies and trying to get them to examine themselves to see if they were pleasing God I have finally seen the futility of the exercise and have politely informed them that I would no longer fellowship with them.
No hard feelings on either side, but I'm sure that they are mystified and wondering why I have lost my senses.

Try as we may, we cannot convict or even help those who are not called.  I knew that, in my mind and in my heart and yet these folks had been like blood relatives in their treatment of me and it is very hard to just give up and let go.  I have and a great burden, that I placed upon myself, has been lifted.  I thank God for that and I thank the forum members for their good advice and great patience with my struggle.

I think that I have learned a little in the process and that the effort was not wasted if I have gained better understanding.

Warm regards to one and all,  IndianaBob

Roy Coates

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 01:24:23 AM »

Well said IndianaBob. I am in about the same spot. I started learning with Ray at the same time I enrolled in Bible college and joined a small local church. The truths I share, do for the most part get heard. However I think it(truth) falls on deaf ears.

I got fed at the local church for a while. It may have been milk, but that is what I needed at the time. I pray that it was spoiled milk. Now as I grow from the in depth studying I have been doing. I feed my family and any who will listen with the Spiritual Understanding that the Holy Spirit imparts to me.

I now serve those Christians at the local church, who took in this lost and starving soul. I plow the snow and mow the lawn, volunteer in the nursery, junior church, fund raisers and usher. They loved me and helped me the best way they knew how. It won't be too long until I am needed else where.

I guess what I am trying to say is; God used those Christians to help this son of God grow up. They can't help it that they are blind. I don't hold that against them. It is all a part of the Divine Plan of God the Father

indianabob

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 01:37:39 AM »

Well said IndianaBob. I am in about the same spot. I started learning with Ray at the same time I enrolled in Bible college and joined a small local church. The truths I share, do for the most part get heard. However I think it(truth) falls on deaf ears.

I got fed at the local church for a while. It may have been milk, but that is what I needed at the time. I pray that it was spoiled milk. Now as I grow from the in depth studying I have been doing. I feed my family and any who will listen with the Spiritual Understanding that the Holy Spirit imparts to me.

I now serve those Christians at the local church, who took in this lost and starving soul. I plow the snow and mow the lawn, volunteer in the nursery, junior church, fund raisers and usher. They loved me and helped me the best way they knew how. It won't be too long until I am needed else where.

Good to hear from you Roy,

As you may recall, I'm just down the road a ways near South Bend, IN.  I have a cousin living in Kalamazoo and another in Brighton and we visit about once every three years.  With the price of fuel today it isn't any easier.

Thank you for your kind comments, it is a struggle to know what to do, but that is the situation we are in by God's choice.  It is a learning exercise and we each are being instructed individually by the son of the creator; what an honor that is.

I hope to hear more from you now that I recall that you are a next door neighbor.
Keep up the good work and continue to trust in Messiah for spiritual strength.

Warm regards, Bob

I guess what I am trying to say is; God used those Christians to help this son of God grow up. They can't help it that they are blind. I don't hold that against them. It is all a part of the Divine Plan of God the Father

kweli

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 06:52:32 AM »

Thanks greatly for the effort Kat. It really helped.

I dont mean to drag this on, but based on the topic itself, is being a Christian bad? I mean if Peter and Paul recognized it as a way of identifying Christ's followers then maybe we should think more about it. I understand why we wouldnt want to be 'associated' with modern day christians, but the word and it's meaning (which fits more with us here) were not found in some dictionary or heretic's documentation, but in the Scriptures.

I'm not so sure about neglecting the use of the word if it is Scriptural. I understand that Jesus was physically circumcised so that I dont have to be under that law to stand approved but, Scriptural Christians are us, those who carry their cross and follow Jesus. It is great to have a word that recognizes this tough task of following Jesus, isnt it?

I really need to get to the meat of this one...

Kat

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 11:03:42 AM »

Hi Kweli,

The name 'Christian' does come from the Scripture and of course it is a proper name for what it was intended.  But now to anyone that hears it, the name symbolizes someone who believes in Jesus Christ, but it also strongly implies someone that belongs to the church system.  To claim to be 'Christian' you are immediately, by most everyone, lumped in with the church.

When we have come out of the church we no longer want to be associated as being a part of that group, and so we have dropped using the name 'Christian.'  I do not reject the notion that I am a Christian, I just don't use that name in referring to myself.  Actually I don't have a certain name I use for myself now, it's whatever sounds right at the time  :)

mercy, peace and love
Kat

kweli

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2008, 11:37:04 AM »

Okay. Thank you for the enlightenment Kat.

Still digesting though...bitter or sweet  ;)

David

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 11:40:17 AM »

Again I have no problem with being referred to as a Christian, it is a scriptural term to describe and identify disciples of Christ.
With the greatest love and respect intended, I really do think this discussion is an example of how the heresy denominations started in the first place.
I group of Christians with what they believe to be a correct understanding of scripture would decide to separate from another group with a different understanding, and thus decide that they should be called something different in order to differentiate themselves from other Christians. We know from numerous chapters in Acts, 1 Corinthians, Galations and Revelation that this was happening with the very earliest Christians. Paul admonished those that went this way, as did Christ in His Revelation to John.
I am not suggesting for one minute that people here do not have a correct spiritual understanding of scripture, far from it. Nor am I suggesting that we should not separate and come out of the Babylonian Church system.
I do think though that this type of discussion about whether we are comfortable with being referred to and identified as Christians is both unscriptural and divisive.
We were after all deceived Christians at some point, some of us still may be to a certain extent. We are always coming out of Babylon. Just because we now have the truth, or more of it than we had before doesn't mean we are no longer Christians.
Be blessed
David.

indianabob

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2008, 02:00:38 PM »

Well said and thoughtful David,
Thank you for your comment.
As you note, it is a process that most of us "old folks" go through.
I was as much of a Christian as I knew to be, based on what God had given me 38 years ago.
I have since had a spiritual and mental metamorphosis and am getting closer to the butterfly stage,
but the process is not yet complete.

There are likely thousands of others who are just beginning that process and we need to love them all.

Regards, Bob

Roy Monis

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 03:07:49 PM »

I dont mean to drag this on, but based on the topic itself, is being a Christian bad? I mean if Peter and Paul recognized it as a way of identifying Christ's followers then maybe we should think more about it. I understand why we wouldnt want to be 'associated' with modern day christians, but the word and it's meaning (which fits more with us here) were not found in some dictionary or heretic's documentation, but in the Scriptures.

I'm not so sure about neglecting the use of the word if it is Scriptural. I understand that Jesus was physically circumcised so that I dont have to be under that law to stand approved but, Scriptural Christians are us, those who carry their cross and follow Jesus. It is great to have a word that recognizes this tough task of following Jesus, isnt it?

Hi! Kweli

Let's face it brother we're not living in Paul and Peter's day but in an age 2000 years removed and a lot of corruption has crept into what was known as God's Church - Christian then. This corrupt resultant church has usurped the gracious title Christian and brought it into disrepute and as a consequence can you blame His chosen who have answered His call to "Come Out" from wanting to distance themselves from the corrupt by adopting a new name, such as, Body of Christ, which is still Christian 21st century called out style.

The is no question Christianity of today is now associated with corruption. There are a lot of well meaning good people among them, no doubt, but they need to come out or they are not being called. Ray addresses this in his Lake of Fire Series Chapter V111. When he asks where is God's Church. Toward the end you'll see that Paul had no delusion as to what the outcome was going to be for us right now.   

Kath is right!

God bless

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2008, 04:02:51 PM »

To add to what Roy has observed:

Jesus clearly said in John 9:4-5 before sending the blind man to the Pool of Siloam – “We must work the works of Him who sent Me, as long as it is day; night is coming, when no man can work.  While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.” 

Understandably, when Jesus left the world , night, or darkness, would return to it which is where we have been for 2,000 years with Satans throne ruling over Christiandom. To come out of Christianity, is to come out of the dark! :)

Peace to you
Arcturus :)

lorrie

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2008, 04:47:35 PM »

Hi everyone!-I am in agreement with dogcombat,.When i had looked up the name Enoch i found it to have a twofold meaning #1-a disciple 2# a  spear.
His name is actually'chanowk' i found that in the strong concordance dictionary.
I am not intrested in flying with those who call themselves ''christian'' and have their hand in my pocket at the same time or cheat the wages of their employees..

mharrell08

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2008, 06:13:11 PM »

Hello All:

I thought of this verse when reading through this thread (it was also including in "Gospel of the Kingdom" which I have been listening to all week).

Rom. 2  v28  For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
           v29  But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

As well as

1 Cor. 2 v16  Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days

Rev. 2  v17  He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

Paul and Peter never stopped calling themselves Jews even though Israel was corrupt as a whole. They knew that the true Jews were ones who were one inwardly. I believe this applies to the title of Christian as well. I mean really, what is in a name? Shall not Jesus give us a NEW NAME when He returns? To want to be called by the title Christian or not by the title Christian is a matter of babes. We should not care what our outward appearance is including any "titles" that people want to bestow on us. So what if someone "assumes" you are a member of Babylon because you call yourself a Christian? You know the truth but even more importantly, "The Lord knoweth them that are his" [2 Tim 2:19]. To really be concerned with this "title" it would seem to be because one cares what "others" or members of Babylon think of them when these people's opinion means nothing. The only "title' one should seek is "the elect" and that is only bestowed on the few at His return.

Don't mean to sound too harsh but like David said, these "titles" can lead to division within us and they are of little importance.

Love,
Marques

Martinez

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2008, 07:21:01 PM »

Something I really hate about most Christian's is how they will say about somebody "Yeah their alright, their a christian"
Like if you go to a mechanic that you haven't been to before, and the christian friend who recommended them will say that their a christian as if it's a guarantee of not getting ripped off!

Firstly, it's not any sort of guarantee at all and secondly, that's just some sort of superiority complex or something.

My brother in Law is a christian, and I wouldn't trust Him as far as I could throw Him. His bag is the prosperity (gospel) and I'm sure you're almost more likely to get ripped off by Him because He's busy trying to be "blessed"

Know what I mean?

Roy Coates

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2008, 07:50:58 PM »

I agree Marques, it is a name. It is the heart that counts. Praise God He is circumcising mine.

lorrie

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2008, 10:21:31 PM »

Yes-- Martinez i do know what you mean- i have had peaple say to me they are christian just to get me to let my guard down.
So to me a name is important,it says who we are in relation to the kingdom of our Lord.Jesus called Peter 'a little rock' for a reason.
In mathew 28-18 Jesus tells the disciples to make disciples in all nations-the name 'christian was given by man-i was not born a christian. I choose to be a disciple and walk with our Lord and Father each new day.Thanks for the wonderfull discussion!Love you guys!

Bradigans

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2008, 10:51:36 PM »

Amen!!! alleluia!!!

Bradigans

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2008, 10:58:04 PM »

Is the word christian found anywhere else beside in the book of Acts?

- Acts 11:26 - And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

Bradigans

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2008, 10:59:25 PM »

I certainly do not care to be a part of any division. Better known as "denomination" these days even nondenominational is a denomination. We know that main stream Christendom is full of men's doctrine, many evils and false teachings. I must add that God used this system that we are being called out of to draw me back to Christ. However, in my study I quickly stalled in my maturing process and started searching for more. I thank God every day for Christendom, He designed it and He used it to draw me to him. I am gaining, growing in Christ. I gained some valuable experience in Christendom, we all did. I believe that there is no waste in Gods economy

And yes dogcombat I find comfort in the term disciple too.

Amen!!!

Roy Coates

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2008, 02:47:34 AM »

Bible Explorer search results for: christian
Depending on the translation, but Christian is used many times. KJV I see nine times.

ASV  Ac 26:28
Festus charges him with insanity, to which he answers quietly 28 And Agrippa said unto Paul, With but little persuasion thou wouldest fain make me a Christian.

ASV  1Co 5:7
The Christian church must be purged of the contamination of sinners, and separated from pagan influences The Christian church must be purged of the contamination of sinners, and separated from pagan influences  
ASV  1Co 8:1
The mature Christian knows that idols have no power The mature Christian knows that idols have no power  
ASV  Col 2:1
He exhorts them to stand firm in the Christian faith He exhorts them to stand firm in the Christian faith  
ASV  Phm 1:8
whom he asks to forgive his servant Onesimus, and to receive him again in Christian love whom he asks to forgive his servant Onesimus, and to receive him again in Christian love  
ASV  Heb 13:1
The spirit of Christian love The spirit of Christian love  
ASV  Jas 2:1
The true Christian does not show partiality to the rich The true Christian does not show partiality to the rich  
ASV  1Pe 4:16
Peter warns them of trials to come 16 but if a man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God in this name.

ASV  2Jn 1:1
John exhorts an honorable matron and her children to persevere in Christian love and belief John exhorts an honorable matron and her children to persevere in Christian love and belief  
 KJV  Ac 26:28
Festus charges him with insanity, to which he answers quietly 28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.

KJV  1Co 5:7
The Christian church must be purged of the contamination of sinners, and separated from pagan influences The Christian church must be purged of the contamination of sinners, and separated from pagan influences  
KJV  1Co 8:1
The mature Christian knows that idols have no power The mature Christian knows that idols have no power  
KJV  Col 2:1
He exhorts them to stand firm in the Christian faith He exhorts them to stand firm in the Christian faith  
KJV  Phm 1:8
whom he asks to forgive his servant Onesimus, and to receive him again in Christian love whom he asks to forgive his servant Onesimus, and to receive him again in Christian love  
KJV  Heb 13:1
KJV  Jas 2:1
The true Christian does not show partiality to the rich The true Christian does not show partiality to the rich  
KJV  1Pe 4:16
Peter warns them of trials to come 16 Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

KJV  2Jn 1:1
John exhorts an honorable matron and her children to persevere in Christian love and belief John exhorts an honorable matron and her children to persevere in Christian love and belief  

WEY  Preface to the First Edition It is not the present Translator's ambition to supplant the Versions already in general use, to which their intrinsic merit or long familiarity or both have caused all Christian minds so lovingly to cling.
WEY  Matthew Early Christian writers add little to our knowledge of him, but his life seems to have been quiet and somewhat ascetic.
WEY  Ac 16:1
Chapter 16 1 He also came to Derbe and to Lystra. At Lystra he found a disciple, Timothy by name—the son of a Christian Jewess, though he had a Greek father.

WEY  Ac 26:28
Chapter 26 28 Agrippa answered, "In brief, you are doing your best to persuade me to become a Christian."

WEY  Ro 9:1
Chapter 9 - The Unbelief of the Jews 1 I am telling you the truth as a Christian man—it is no falsehood, for my conscience enlightened, as it is, by the Holy Spirit adds its testimony to mine—

WEY  Ro 15:2
Chapter 15 2 Let each of us endeavour to please his fellow Christian, aiming at a blessing calculated to build him up.

WEY  Ro 15:14
Personal Explanations 14 But as to you, brethren, I am convinced— yes, I Paul am convinced—that, even apart from my teaching, you are already full of goodness of heart, and enriched with complete Christian knowledge, and are also competent to instruct one another.

WEY  Ro 16:2
Chapter 16 - Conclusion 2 that you may receive her as a fellow Christian in a manner worthy of God's people, and may assist her in any matter in which she may need help. For she has indeed been a kind friend to many, including myself.

WEY  Ro 16:12
Chapter 16 - Conclusion 12 Greetings to those Christian workers, Tryphaena and Tryphosa; also to dear Persis, who has laboured strenuously in the Lord's work.

WEY  Ro 16:22
Chapter 16 - Conclusion 22 I, Tertius, who write this letter, send you Christian greetings.

WEY  1Co 4:17
Chapter 4 17 For this reason I have sent Timothy to you. Spiritually he is my dearly-loved and faithful child. He will remind you of my habits as a Christian teacher—the manner in which I teach everywhere in every Church.

WEY  1Co 7:14
Chapter 7 - The Subject of Marriage 14 For, in such cases, the unbelieving husband has become—and is—holy through union with a Christian woman, and the unbelieving wife is holy through union with a Christian brother. Otherwise your children would be unholy, but in reality they have a place among God's people.

WEY  1Co 7:15
Chapter 7 - The Subject of Marriage 15 If, however, the unbeliever is determined to leave, let him or her do so. Under such circumstances the Christian man or woman is no slave; God has called us to live lives of peace.

WEY  1Co 7:22
Chapter 7 - The Subject of Marriage 22 For a Christian, if he was a slave when called, is the Lord's freed man, and in the same way a free man, if called, becomes the slave of Christ.

WEY  1Co 7:39
Chapter 7 - The Subject of Marriage 39 A woman is bound to her husband during the whole period that he lives; but if her husband dies, she is at liberty to marry whom she will, provided that he is a Christian.

WEY  1Co 9:2
Chapter 9 2 If to other men I am not an Apostle, yet at any rate I am one to you; for your very existence as a Christian Church is the seal of my Apostleship.

WEY  1Co 9:5
Chapter 9 5 Have we not a right to take with us on our journeys a Christian sister as our wife, as the rest of the Apostles do—and the Lord's brothers and Peter?

WEY  1Co 9:18
Chapter 9 18 What are my wages then? The very fact that the Good News which I preach will cost my hearers nothing, so that I cannot be charged with abuse of my privileges as a Christian preacher.

WEY  1Co 11:17
Matters Relating to Christian Worship Matters Relating to Christian Worship  
WEY  1Co 16:19
Personal Matters, and Farewell 19 The Churches in the province of Asia send you greetings; and Aquila and Prisca, in hearty Christian love, do the same, together with the Church which meets at their house.

WEY  2Co 12:2
Chapter 12 2 I know a Christian man who fourteen years ago— whether in the body I do not know, or out of the body I do not know; God knows—was caught up (this man of whom I am speaking) even to the highest Heaven.

WEY  Galatians But his earnest insistence upon the "fruit borne by the Spirit" proves that his ideal of practical holiness was rather strengthened than impaired by his plea for Faith as the mainspring of Christian life.
WEY  Gal 1:22
Paul Vindicates His Apostolic Authority 22 But to the Christian Churches in Judaea I was personally unknown.

WEY  Gal 3:1
Chapter 3 - The Jewish Law Far Inferior to the Christian Faith Chapter 3 The Jewish Law Far Inferior to the Christian Faith  
WEY  Gal 6:6
Chapter 6 6 But let those who receive instruction in Christian truth share with their instructors all temporal blessings.

WEY  Eph 4:21
Chapter 4 21 if at least you have heard His voice and in Him have been taught—and this is true Christian teaching—

WEY  Eph 6:1
Chapter 6 1 Children, be obedient to your parents as a Christian duty, for it is a duty.

WEY  Eph 6:4
Chapter 6 4 And you, fathers, do not irritate your children, but bring them up tenderly with true Christian training and advice.

WEY  Php 1:8
Chapter 1 8 For God is my witness how I yearn over all of you with tender Christian affection.

WEY  Php 2:29
Chapter 2 29 Receive him therefore with heartfelt Christian joy, and hold in honour men like him;

WEY  Php 4:21
Chapter 4 21 My Christian greetings to every one of God's people. The brethren who are with me send their greetings.

WEY  Col 2:11
Chapter 2 11 In Him also you were circumcised with a circumcision not performed by hand, when you threw off your sinful nature in true Christian circumcision;

WEY  Col 4:15
Chapter 4 15 Christian greetings to the brethren at Laodicea, especially to Nymphas, and to the Church that meets at their house.

WEY  1Th 4:6
Chapter 4 - Practical Exhortations 6 and that in this matter there be no encroaching on the rights of a brother Christian and no overreaching him. For the Lord is an avenger in all such cases, as we have already taught you and solemnly warned you.

WEY  1Th 5:12
Conclusion 12 Now we beg you, brethren, to show respect for those who labour among you and are your leaders in Christian work, and are your advisers;

WEY  1 Timothy There has never been any real doubt among Christian people as to the authorship of the three "pastoral" Letters.
WEY  1Ti 6:1
Chapter 6 1 Let all who are under the yoke of slavery hold their own masters to be deserving of honour, so that the name of God and the Christian teaching may not be spoken against.

WEY  Tit 2:5
Chapter 2 5 industrious in their homes, kind, submissive to their husbands, so that the Christian teaching may not be exposed to reproach.

WEY  Phm 1:16
Chapter 1 16 no longer as a slave, but as something better than a slave—a brother peculiarly dear to me, and even dearer to you, both as a servant and as a fellow Christian.

WEY  Hebrews The unquestionably divine origin of the Jewish dispensation is made use of for laying emphasis upon the infinitely superior glory of the Christian order.
WEY  James The Letter may have been a Jewish one, addressed to the Christian converts from Judaism who were scattered abroad, within or beyond the limits of the Roman Empire. ... ' But its practical ideal assumes the same basis of Christian faith as is found in the Letters of Paul.
WEY  Jas 2:15
Chapter 2 15 Suppose a Christian brother or sister is poorly clad or lacks daily food,

WEY  1Pe 3:16
Chapter 3 16 Yet argue modestly and cautiously, keeping your consciences free from guilt, so that, when you are spoken against, those who slander your good Christian lives may be put to shame.

WEY  1Pe 4:16
Chapter 4 16 If, however, any one suffers because he is a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God for being permitted to bear that name.

WEY  2Jn 1:4
Chapter 1 4 It is an intense joy to me to have found some of your children living true Christian lives, in obedience to the command which we have received from the Father.

WEY  Revelation Many scholars, however, regard the book as a document of Nero's time carefully incorporated in one written about 90 A.D.: "a Jewish Apocalypse in a Christian framework;" both perhaps being by the same author.
YLT  Ac 26:28
Festus charges him with insanity, to which he answers quietly 28 And Agrippa said unto Paul, `In a little thou dost persuade me to become a Christian!'

YLT  1Co 5:7
YLT  1Co 8:1
YLT  Col 2:1
YLT  Phm 1:8
YLT  Heb 13:1
YLT  Jas 2:1
YLT  1Pe 4:16
Peter warns them of trials to come 16 and if as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; and let him glorify God in this respect;

YLT  2Jn 1:1
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.