bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: evangelists  (Read 4192 times)

chav

evangelists
« on: May 08, 2008, 08:25:24 PM »

Hi
this has always puzzled me regarding the role of the evangelist according to the scriptures.

Eph 4:11-12
And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers,
12  to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ,

Christianity always maintains that the role of the evangelist is to reach the unsaved  and to 'win souls for Jesus' ,yet the principal scriptural reference to the ministry of the evangelist ,describes it as a ministry for the equipping of the saints, and building up of the body of Christ, rather than getting people saved ????

Phillip in Acts is refered to in many translation as 'Phillip the Evangelist'

Acts 21:8
and on the morrow Paul and his company having gone forth, we came to Cesarea, and having entered into the house of Philip the evangelist -- who is of the seven -- we remained with him

Act 8:5 -7
Philip went down to the city of Samaria and proclaimed to them the Christ.
6  And the crowds with one accord paid attention to what was being said by Philip when they heard him and saw the signs that he did.
7  For unclean spirits, crying out with a loud voice, came out of many who had them, and many who were paralyzed or lame were healed

Timothy was urged by Paul to do the work of an evangelist

2 Tim 4:5
But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry

What did Paul have in mind when he gave that instruction ?
what was it in Phillips ministry that caused him to be known as an evangelist ?

Do we still require this ministry today ?I think so ,after all we still have teachers (thank God) .If so how will it differ from the past if the ministry of the evangelist is accurately alligned with the scriptures ,rather than the traditional view imposed by cultural christianity.
Be interested to know your thoughts.
cheers
Dave UK

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
Re: evangelists
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 12:00:15 AM »

Hey Dave!
Ray has a really good article on winning souls for Jesus, check it out!
http://bible-truths.com/souls.htm
I was just reading too!

Also........
G2099
εὐαγγελιστής
euaggelistēs
yoo-ang-ghel-is-tace'
From G2097; a preacher of the gospel: - evangelist.
It would seem that its just a preacher of the gospel!

It would also seem to me that most preachers today consider themselves teachers, apostles, prophets and pastors!
Can one man fulfill all these roles of offices in the church?
I don't think so. Correct me if I'm wrong!
I hope this helps Dave
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

chav

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 06:01:06 AM »

Hi

From G2097; a preacher of the gospel: - evangelist.
It would seem that its just a preacher of the gospel!

I wonder how many of today's so-called evangelists are preaching the gospel ?

thanks for your reply, but it is the point about evangelists being given as a ministry to believers rather than to the unsaved (as suggested in Eph 4 ) that I would like comment on.

Can one man fulfill all these roles of offices in the church?

I don't think so, some but not all ,but that's another discussion perhaps
cheers
Dave UK

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 05:55:11 PM »

I do believe we still require this ministry.
As Paul said here:
1Co 9:16  For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
1Co 9:17  For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.
1Co 9:18  What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.
1Co 9:19  For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.

As for preaching the gospel to the saints, well its for our edification or to build us up!
But the Gospel also saves!
1Co 1:21  For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.[/b]

Also God's foolishness is wiser than mens wisdom!
1Co 1:25  Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

I hope this helps dave! :)
God be with you
Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.