bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a nice bible to buy  (Read 8540 times)

Joseph

Looking for a nice bible to buy
« on: May 10, 2008, 04:24:26 AM »

Not long ago Ray recommend a nelson 405bg bible I was wondering because I own several bibles but some have more center reference's then others. Is this why Ray recommends this bible if so I think I'll buy that one, thanks and God Bless.

winner08

Re: Looking for a nice bible to buy
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 05:35:41 AM »

Speaking of Bibles, I was just reading one of Ray's emails,in witch he said that the King James Bible had 50,000 corrections and 14 books are missing in latter editions. I had no idea. This really messes with me. I want to know what those missing books were about. I want to know why 50,000 corrections had to be made. Is this foolish on my part? Am I crazy to want to know these things? I mean God said not one thing should be added or taken away from his words. So what's up with that?

Thanks, Darren

Morten

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 08:46:24 AM »

Not long ago Ray recommend a nelson 405bg bible I was wondering because I own several bibles but some have more center reference's then others. Is this why Ray recommends this bible if so I think I'll buy that one, thanks and God Bless.

I think Ray recommends many bibles, and i think that its up to each one of us what we wanne read, i think it depends on what are you studying. Each bible have some different errors. Of curse some bibles are not recommend maybe. But i hope you know what i mean. But i havnt read about that part from Ray abou nelson 405bg.

Speaking of Bibles, I was just reading one of Ray's emails,in witch he said that the King James Bible had 50,000 corrections and 14 books are missing in latter editions. I had no idea. This really messes with me. I want to know what those missing books were about. I want to know why 50,000 corrections had to be made. Is this foolish on my part? Am I crazy to want to know these things? I mean God said not one thing should be added or taken away from his words. So what's up with that?

Thanks, Darren

I have been thinking about that to. Is not crazy.
When you say God said not one thing should be added or taken away, well actually he didnt, if iam correct?
If you read rev 22:18 he says Rev 22:18-19 
Rev 22:18  For I testify together with everyone hearing the Words of the prophecy of this Book, if anyone adds to these things, God will add upon him the plagues having been written in this Book.
Rev 22:19  And if anyone takes away from the Words of the Book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the Book of Life, and out of the holy city, and of the things having been written in this Book.

Remember HE says IF ANYONE, He (God) dosnt say NO ONE. And God say what will happen if that person takes away or change the word from this book.

Correct me if iam wrong or somthing. Iam totaly open for my faults. But this is what i think.

Love and peace Morten

hillsbororiver

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 11:40:17 AM »

Ray wrote a very informative article "Which Bible Is Best?" http://bible-truths.com/bible.htm

A couple emails on this topic;

http://bible-truths.com/email12.htm#concordant

http://bible-truths.com/email4.htm#whatbible

Here is another resource in researching the "evolution" of the KJV and clarification of mistranslated verses and even verses that appear in the KJV but are not in the earlier manuscripts.

http://www.bibletexts.com/bt.htm

Of course the excellent study by Ray is also available to us thanks to Kat's dedication and hard work transcribing the audio(s).

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,5815.15.html

Peace,

Joe

Kat

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 02:33:22 PM »

Hi Joseph,

Ray has mentioned on several occasions how much he likes the Nelson Bible.  Here is the part that he talks about it at the conference that Joe gave a link to.

This Book I have also has a small concordance in the back and one version has maps.  There are lots of other things that make it so handy.  It’s something like 1200 pages of fine paper, it’s gold leafed and leather.  It’s got all these little extra things.  In Revelation if you want to find the church of Laodicea it has them all numbered.  It has big headings that is so easy and quick to find.  It’s great.  It has this little margin, I can put all the notes I want in just this little margin here, so it’s big enough.  This is good, the Bible I use to use cost right at $200 and to me I would sooner have this one. 
[King James Bible: Nelson #1755 or #4505BG, Leather, Center Column Reference, Words of Jesus in Red, Concordance (preferably with maps).]

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Roy Coates

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 03:30:55 PM »

Lewis Bible bindery www.lewisbibles.com made in America, fine leather binding.

buying a Bible is a journey, pray, research, search and enjoy

carol v

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 04:50:49 PM »

I don't know about the Lewisbibles site Roy -- I bet they have some beautiful bibles but they have a special link for the Scofield and that is awful. I used a Scofield for awhile until I found myself writing "complete crap" in giant letters across the commentary one day. I had to retire my Scofield. But Lewisbibles probably has other ones and they look beautiful.

Amazon has a great price on the Nelson study bible and while I don't always agree with the commentary it doesn't drive me to distraction. It's helpful. The headings and center column references are great. For a nice leather Bible, it's a bargain. Nelson also has a large print which is quickly becoming my favorite version altogether since my eyesight seems to go down exponentially with my age these days.

Allbibles.com has a few great wide margin Bibles with no commentary and I really like that. I like to write lots of notes.

The study commentary I like best comes with the NIV though. It is very literal/historical and doesn't try to tell you what it's saying spiritually. It just gives great background history and references. You can now get the NIV study guide for esword.

Darren, I went through both my KJVs and marked out the "spurious passages" to the Bible that I think Joe mentioned above. The link is http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6638.0.html. Didn't take very long and you will find some surprises. Other than that, just trust the God knows your heart. Pray daily for truth and no strong delusions and then trust that God will teach you what He wants ya to know.

Carol

Roy Coates

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 04:39:29 AM »

I agree in regards to the Scofield commentary, all commentary's tend to be bias as they are the opinions of the writer.

We find that different translations have problems too. As the editors tend to control the translating. Like the NIV has 17 missing verses

I have many different translations. Each has a special quality that the other doesn't. A young person and a new believer may benefit from readability to get started such as the message, ncv or bbe. Gradually move up to the niv kjv nasb, then explore the clnt, ylt, wnt. Maybe for accuracy Greek  interliner. The possibilities are vast

buying a Bible is a journey, pray, research, search and enjoy and I forgot read read read :)

David

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 08:09:17 PM »

I have twelve Bibles. My favourite for ease of use, fairly accurate, easy to read large print, helpful center column references  is a Nelson NKJ finished in a liver coloured leatherette cover, 9 3/4 inch by 6 1/2. I put a ribbon page marker in it myself using a piece of satin ribbon and some super glue, easy done. I bought it from Truro Cathedral shop. Most Cathedrals in the UK sell Bibles at cost plus 10%, so its a great place to buy a Bible. The same Bible in Christian book shops and high street book shops costs about 50% more.
I have a couple of study Bibles, which knowing what I know now thanks to this site are pretty useless. The study notes are by and large standard Church doctrine. If they do serve any use, its to see the endless contradictions the theologians that compiled the study notes believe and teach.

jerreye

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 08:31:46 AM »

I just purchased the Rotherham Emphasized Bible on Amazon just now :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.