bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mother's Day and Other Holidays  (Read 6548 times)

UncleBeau

Mother's Day and Other Holidays
« on: May 13, 2008, 05:49:57 PM »

I've talked with Nola time and time again discussing "special days". Mother's Day came up because, well, it was Sunday. We've been studying the origins of certain days such as Christmas, Easter, etc... Those are easy to reference back to pagan holidays if you care to look. What about mother's day? Is it harmless to observe this day and take your mother out for dinner or treat her extra-special?

Galatians 4:9-11

9.) But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

10.) Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.

11.) I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

If we observe these days, whatever they may be, after being given knowledge of the truth, we desire again to be in bondage!!

So, why would it be, or how rather, could it be harmful to celebrate Mother's Day? Think about it for a moment. Who CAN celebrate this day?...more importantly, who CAN'T? What about barren women? Should they feel happy for the women who can have children? What about women who lost their children in a miscarriage? What about Mothers whose children have died, period? What about orphans who have no mothers or whose mothers have died also? Are you understanding me? those people do not "qualify" under those circumstances to "celebrate", and instead will probably be reminded of their loss and will mourn even more on that day. This "day" is not of God, it's of man and his "exclusive" canal mind.
On a more physical note, have you seen how crowded places are on Mother's day? Nola and I wanted to just go to lunch somewhere and couldn't find any place that wasn't packed with people. If you don't do something nice for your mother when society says to, you're made to feel bad, your mother is made to feel bad, and people judge you left and right. I didn't even call my mother. Why? because I don't care? nope. I wanted to expose this heresy for the crap that it is. I call my mother almost every other day. I go places with both my parents, Nola and the baby included; because I love my family and show them accordingly. but guess what? pagans forget all of that evidence on mother's day. They focus on that day and that day alone, which is a running guilt trip until next year. Needless to say my mother was upset, but to me, it's the same upset that people get when you tell them there's no hell. I don't care. I turned it around and spurned her for making me guilty of not following the crowd. I'm sure to some of you, this is some kind of an act of cruelty or a hateful gesture, but to rid ourselves of worldly things, we have to be thrown into the fire; and the more we become what God makes us into, the more the world hates what we've become, even our own parents. I don't have to give you exact numbers to tell you there are probably millions of people crying on Mother's day out of sadness.
I hope you can see where I'm coming from, and I hope some people are freed from what the world wants from us where holidays are concerned.

-Beau

P.S. Don't even make me get started on birthdays.

Matt

Re: Mother's Day and Other Holidays
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 09:12:27 PM »

I understand what you are saying Uncle Beau ;).
If you show true love in all you do, then your loved ones will never NEED special days to feel appreciated.
They will see Jesus through you.

Knowing this, I still feel it is important for me to recognize my wife/kids/parents/etc...not because the world says so, but because they do not yet have understanding. 

This is all part of the huge frustration and responsibility of knowing the truth, at least this is the way I see it.

:)
Matt

mharrell08

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 10:05:42 PM »

Here's an email from Ray that sheds light on this subject:

I recently found out that Christmas along with other "traditions common to man" have nothing to do with Jesus when they originated.  However, I am finding limited information on birthdays and cakes.  Do you have information on this topic?  I am trying to figure out if God is pleased with me having cake and using candles.  (I already know the wishing part is wrong).
 Thanks!

Dear Reader:
I think that there are more important things to be concerned about than candles on a birthday cake "Unto the pure all things are pure."
Not everything that may have originated with the pagans, is necessarily evil.  What will over-concerned Christians on such matters ever do if they find out that it was the pagans who first wore shoes?

God be with you,
Ray

Marques

KristaD

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 12:28:53 AM »

Well that's certainly one way to look at it, Beau, and if you feel that convicted about it you're definitely making the right choice to avoid such things. God has not shown me, personally, anything wrong with mother's day, father's day, fourth of july, or birthdays but I can see what you are saying, as it's how I see the other holidays. If God showed me pagan roots to them I would seriously have to find out if He wanted me to cut those out too. For me, though, it's just a personal celebration of that person or event and I really couldn't care less what it means to the world. I don't think we should always have to feel bad b/c other's don't have something we have been blessed with either and I wouldn't think of that as a reason not to celebrate my mother or children. I mean, I can't imagine not being happy and celebrating the coming birth of my next baby just b/c other women can't have babies. If God sees fit to make me a mother then I take that and embrace it and do my best at it while rejoicing in it, not keeping quiet for the women He has made barren. I think we should consider their feelings and yes they will think about it on that day and it is sad that we have to set aside just one day for thanking our mothers but if I give my mom a hug or card or a gift I can't see it hurting someone else :-\.

kweli

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 08:27:50 AM »

What will over-concerned Christians on such matters ever do if they find out that it was the pagans who first wore shoes?

Matthew 11:29-30
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

musicman

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 10:54:55 AM »

Folks, what ever you do, don't eat with forks and knives.  Those are man made.  Don't where deoderant, use soap or drive a car.  If the bible does not tell you to do it, then it must be silly and pointless.  Afterall, businesses thrive by man made holidays.  Let's not allow that to happen, even when the name of god is not exploited on such occassions (Mother's Day?). 

What I'm saying is, call your mother on mother's day!!

UncleBeau

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 01:30:10 PM »

I think the point has been very obnoxiously missed. One of the reasons that christians will defend their hell doctrine to the very end is that it gives them an exclusivity, a reason to feel more special than others. therefore, holidays are very easy for them to observe. I wanted you to see the similarities, but so far, I'm getting responses that are barely even related to the subject. Musicman, these are about spiritual issues, not soap and silverware. But who would believe the Scriptures that going back to exclusive special days keep you in bondage? This is not one of those tooth-and-nail issues, but some will mock the truth. Some already have. Do you really think that this thread is supposed to be about your relationship between you and your mother? BY NO MEANS! I love my mother every day, just like everyone reading this......

You know, it's funny how we're still in the mode to believe only certain things that we see, even after we break away from the church of the world. Think about it. Why was Paul so upset with his comments? why was he afraid?! Do you ask such things, or is it silly on your end? There are more spiritual issues with these things than you might think. I just thought I would give something in my perspective, but it seems stupid to argue with warnings about forks and knives.

-Beau

mharrell08

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 02:21:52 PM »

I think the point has been very obnoxiously missed. One of the reasons that christians will defend their hell doctrine to the very end is that it gives them an exclusivity, a reason to feel more special than others. therefore, holidays are very easy for them to observe. I wanted you to see the similarities, but so far, I'm getting responses that are barely even related to the subject. Musicman, these are about spiritual issues, not soap and silverware. But who would believe the Scriptures that going back to exclusive special days keep you in bondage? This is not one of those tooth-and-nail issues, but some will mock the truth. Some already have. Do you really think that this thread is supposed to be about your relationship between you and your mother? BY NO MEANS! I love my mother every day, just like everyone reading this......

You know, it's funny how we're still in the mode to believe only certain things that we see, even after we break away from the church of the world. Think about it. Why was Paul so upset with his comments? why was he afraid?! Do you ask such things, or is it silly on your end? There are more spiritual issues with these things than you might think. I just thought I would give something in my perspective, but it seems stupid to argue with warnings about forks and knives.

-Beau

Hello Beau,

After re-reading your original post, I believe I understood perfectly your comments. Was the email that I referred from Ray not sufficient? The line "unto the pure, all things are pure" comes from Titus 1:15 and not Ray's personal words if you were wondering.

Anyone who is motherless and has that sense of loss will feel guilt/remorseful at the sight of a mother with her children on any day of the week. And why does this person feel guilt (which is of the carnal mind by the way)? Because they do not believe that "New Jerusalem which is above, is the mother to us all" Gal. 4:26. The carnal mind will always find things in the world to put them into emotional bondage. Anyone who is IN Christ and Christ IN them will not have this sense of remorse because they know who their "heavenly" mother is: NEW JERUSALEM!  ;D

I hope this helps with your perspective.

Marques

KristaD

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 02:58:54 PM »

I see what you are saying Beau and I'm truly sorry if my post was one that you felt misunderstood you. I do believe, however, that God calls us all for different things at different times. For you, He has opened your eyes and laid on your heart that the observances of such days are not right; likewise He has shown me things about birth and child rearing that other people don't believe at all but those things are for me and me family as the holiday thing is for yours (for right now). We are not suposed to be stumbling blocks for each other and we can't ask others to see what we see when we see it, He is working it out in the perfect order for all of us in His good time. I thank you for sharing what He's put in you about those days and maybe those words will come back to some of us at a later time if it's something God must purge out of us, but I don't believe that we all must be purged of the same things as we are different and see things differently so therefore what may be wrong for one man can be ok for another b/c his heart is different.

mharrell08

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 03:02:16 PM »

I see what you are saying Beau and I'm truly sorry if my post was one that you felt misunderstood you. I do believe, however, that God calls us all for different things at different times. For you, He has opened your eyes and laid on your heart that the observances of such days are not right; likewise He has shown me things about birth and child rearing that other people don't believe at all but those things are for me and me family as the holiday thing is for yours (for right now). We are not suposed to be stumbling blocks for each other and we can't ask others to see what we see when we see it, He is working it out in the perfect order for all of us in His good time. I thank you for sharing what He's put in you about those days and maybe those words will come back to some of us at a later time if it's something God must purge out of us, but I don't believe that we all must be purged of the same things as we are different and see things differently so therefore what may be wrong for one man can be ok for another b/c his heart is different.

Great, great comments Krista...I totally agree.

Marques

UncleBeau

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 03:10:58 PM »

Heh, your comment makes the most sense. No, I'm not trying to be a stubmling block, but I thought it was a good subject to discuss. I just don't like childish mockery, and I'm not referring to you. It has no place in a good conversation. Maybe you could share what you're talking about with birth and child rearing with me some day. We do see things differently, but we are to be of one mind, so I guess we'll have to be patient for that one.

KristaD

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »

Exactly, Beau, one day we will ALL be able to share thethings He's put in us and EVERYONE will get see it ALL, praise God, we just have to be patient :D. I really think my response to you was as much for me, though, as I often feel that same frustration myself and I feel much better about it now. Thank you for bringing this up :).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.