bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are your views on the blues and rock?  (Read 6853 times)

Paul

What are your views on the blues and rock?
« on: May 16, 2008, 05:21:37 PM »

These forms of music are extremely carnal (90% of early rock and blues songs are about women) What are your views on them? And what about dancing?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 05:26:37 PM by Paul »

KristaD

Re: What are your views on the blues and rock?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 05:53:44 PM »

My personal opinion is that music is very influential and since it sticks in our heads and imbeds itself in our subconcious minds (ever remembered all the words to a song you hadn't heard in ten years??) we should be very careful what we listen to. For that reason I only listen to christian music that speaks the truth. When God first called me my music was the first thing He purged from me. I dreamt that there were huge nasty bugs crawling out of the cabinet that all of my cd's were in and the next morning I threw them all away and haven't listened to anything but christian music since (aside from ocassional oldies or country on long car trips where I lost my christian radio signal :() Dancing I believe was created by God as a form of worship and deep connecting b/w men and women and as long as we are dancing with joy and praise for Him or with the one we love it is wonderful, but when people dance for other reasons it, to me, is perverted worship or fornication.

Extol

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 06:06:47 PM »

I listen almost exclusively to renaissance/baroque/classical music, and metal. So I can't say much about rock or blues. From what I've read in some e-mails, Ray seems to be very anti-metal. I don't think it affects me in a negative way, but maybe (as Ray says) when I am older I will look back and see how foolish it was.  ;)  There are some metal bands I don't feel comfortable listening to (if, for example, the lyrics are excessively vulgar and/or blasphemous). Since music and lyrics are written by carnal beings, I think it's probable that most forms of music have some kind of carnality in them, and most Christian bands have at least some anti-Scriptural lyrics. But I have not yet been convicted to the point where I'm going to completely stop listening to music...

Martinez

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 07:36:46 PM »

I listen almost exclusively to renaissance/baroque/classical music, and metal. So I can't say much about rock or blues. From what I've read in some e-mails, Ray seems to be very anti-metal. I don't think it affects me in a negative way, but maybe (as Ray says) when I am older I will look back and see how foolish it was.  ;)  There are some metal bands I don't feel comfortable listening to (if, for example, the lyrics are excessively vulgar and/or blasphemous). Since music and lyrics are written by carnal beings, I think it's probable that most forms of music have some kind of carnality in them, and most Christian bands have at least some anti-Scriptural lyrics. But I have not yet been convicted to the point where I'm going to completely stop listening to music...

I listen to all sort of music, I love music, it very important to me because I am a musician.
I listen to a lot of heavy stuff (really heavy) and I have to say, I don't thinik it impacts me in a negative way, in fact, when I'm feeling a bit depressed and low it helps to pick me up and give me a bit of get up and go (and go and go).

Some of the worst music message wise is hip hop, not only is it absolute crap, it also has some of the most depraved and carnal subjects known to man!

Yep, bring on the heaviness!

P.s

It's death metal all the way for making you're plants grow big and healthy too!

Roy Monis

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 09:22:17 AM »

These forms of music are extremely carnal (90% of early rock and blues songs are about women) What are your views on them? And what about dancing?

Hi! Paul.

You're wrong brother! I can remember a blue song sung by the favourite of my time known as Al Jolson and it was called "Blue Skies" and it went something like this; "Blue skies shining on me, nothing but blue skies can I see" etc. etc. etc. quite a bit more to it, but it was a long, long time ago. But what I do remember is there was no mention of women in it. As for rocks go, well the only rocks I know of are the pests I come across occasionally in my garden.

I certainly need updating don't you think?

I once saw something calling itself "Punk" and punk it was, a load of obscene thrash. Oh well, some like it hot I suppose

God bless.

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy UK

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 10:05:53 AM »

From what I've read in some e-mails, Ray seems to be very anti-metal.

All that means is Ray does not like it. It does not mean it's wrong. Same for Rap.

Dennis

Samson

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 10:43:10 AM »

From what I've read in some e-mails, Ray seems to be very anti-metal.

All that means is Ray does not like it. It does not mean it's wrong. Same for Rap.

Dennis

Thankyou Dennis, We know where this thread may lead, taking it to it's ultimate conclusion, however their's no doubt in my mind that all music is emotionally influential. I personally dislike most Rap and Hip Hop, I can tolerate Country and Western, the Freckle Girl likes country and western, otherwise, aside from the categories I just mentioned, I like most types of Music, I find Classical Rock, very stimulating, The Moody Blues, ELO, etc. Usually, I'm attracted to a song based on the beat and music sound, not the lyrics, the lyrics are secondary to me in importance. When going to sleep, we play a soft Rock type variety of favorite hits, for working out, I listen to one of Rays' Audio(that stimulates the blood flow) or some fast paced Rock music.

Music for different reasons and seasons, Samson.

Kent

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 01:36:51 PM »

We listen to the music we grew up with,

And those that say that X kind of music is "bad" are the older people that grew up with listening to other kinds of music. They dont like it, therefore it is "evil". It's the same notes, the same scales, etc. Only the instruments are different. I dont like the drug culture that surrounds it though. That is the self destructive part that is evil, imo.

I listened to those old people, and threw away hundreds of $  worth of CDs. I wish I hadn't done that.

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 01:57:40 PM »

And those that say that X kind of music is "bad" are the older people that grew up with listening to other kinds of music. They dont like it, therefore it is "evil". It's the same notes, the same scales, etc. Only the instruments are different. I dont like the drug culture that surrounds it though. That is the self destructive part that is evil, imo.

I listened to those old people, and threw away hundreds of $  worth of CDs. I wish I hadn't done that.

When I was a kid my friends mom said our music just noise. Now when I listen to some of those 50's songs that I liked so much, I see that she was right on.

Like you said: "We listen to the music we grew up with."

Dennis
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 03:08:51 PM by Dennis Vogel »

Patrick

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 02:28:14 PM »

We listen to the music we grew up with

Not this kid! ;D

I grew up listening to Bob Wills, Conway Twitty, Englebert Humperdink, etc..

Roy Monis

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 03:16:08 PM »

When I was a kid my friends mom said our music just noise. Now when I listen to some of those 50's songs that I like so much, I see that she was right on.

Like you said: "We listen to the music we grew up with."

Dennis

Hi! Dennis

I grew up when you had to wind the gramophone up, change the needle after each windup and replay. More bother than it was worth, not even much fun. But it kept us going and out of mischief.

Good old days. What!

God bless.

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy.    "The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love." 1Jn.4:8

David

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 10:47:23 PM »

I personally think Christians get far too hung up on music. Someone mentioned Ray doesn't like certain types of music. I read an email of his recently to a young lady enquiring about her taste in music. Ray said something along the lines of  "You will wonder one day why you thought it to be entertainment". I think its fair to say Ray may well have made that statement regardless of his faith. Some people just don't like certain kinds of music, whether they happen to be Christians or not.
I think what we as Christians need to make a choice about is whether the lyrical content of a song, regardless of genre, is something we should be listening to. I listen to a lot of blues music that has no lyrical content at all, and its wonderful. I listen to a lot of instrumental rock music, its wonderful. My wife listens to a lot of club style dance music that has no lyrics in it, and frankly I hate it. It has nothing to with any possible offensive lyrics, its just the sound and arrangement is offensive to my ear.
When I was in Church I listened to a lot of Christian "worship" music, and from a Scriptural perspective it was by and large total rubbish. From a purely musical critical perspective it was mostly utterly dreadful tuneless, moronic garbage, hardly worthy of being called music at all. So I don't think Christians have a leg to stand on when they try to dictate to people what they should be listening to.
People such as Mozart were about as carnal and decedent as you can get, yet his music was and is about as spiritually uplifting as music can be.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.