bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matt 6:33--Seek Ye First  (Read 5492 times)

excellenttrader

Matt 6:33--Seek Ye First
« on: May 18, 2008, 07:02:41 PM »

Hey Gang,

I've been a little frustrated the last couple of days with where I'm at in certain areas of my life.  On my ride in to work I was praying and thinking about all the blessings and good things in my life to try and help pull out of this mood.  During this time I thought of Matt 6:33:

33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

That got me to asking, "What are...all these things?"

So, when I got to work I looked it up and saw that Jesus was talking and telling us not to worry in general, but specifically about our food and clothing.  So, that made me feel a bit better, but then I thought about the fact that Jesus only ever spoke in parables.  So, although I can see the obvious carnal application, I was wondering what the spiritual application is to this section.  I've got a bit of an idea, I think, but I'd really like to know what you guys feel is really meant here.

Also, if any of you know where this has already been covered please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

Stevernator

Re: Matt 6:33--Seek Ye First
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 07:38:04 PM »

Hi Mike,
I would like to share my belief on this issue. Here is some beautiful scripture from Isaiah 58.

Is this the kind of fast I have chosen,
       only a day for a man to humble himself?
       Is it only for bowing one's head like a reed
       and for lying on sackcloth and ashes?
       Is that what you call a fast,
       a day acceptable to the LORD ?

6 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
       to loose the chains of injustice
       and untie the cords of the yoke,
       to set the oppressed free
       and break every yoke?

7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
       and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
       when you see the naked, to clothe him,
       and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?

8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
       and your healing will quickly appear;
       then your righteousness [a] will go before you,
       and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.

9 Then you will call, and the LORD will answer;
       you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.
       "If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
       with the pointing finger and malicious talk,

10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
       and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
       then your light will rise in the darkness,
       and your night will become like the noonday.

11 The LORD will guide you always;
       he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
       and will strengthen your frame.
       You will be like a well-watered garden,
       like a spring whose waters never fail.

12 Your people will rebuild the ancient ruins
       and will raise up the age-old foundations;
       you will be called Repairer of Broken Walls,
       Restorer of Streets with Dwellings.

13 "If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath
       and from doing as you please on my holy day,
       if you call the Sabbath a delight
       and the LORD's holy day honorable,
       and if you honor it by not going your own way
       and not doing as you please or speaking idle words,

14 then you will find your joy in the LORD,
       and I will cause you to ride on the heights of the land
       and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob."
       The mouth of the LORD has spoken

As Jesus said, the kingdom of heaven is within.
One way to start doing this is to simply pray for others whether they are friends, enemies, poor etc. I think if we really try it will be exciting since we are trying to follow Jesus. I think its more than just considering physical needs it has to be true spiritual love and service for others including those that seem unlovable. I believe that to enter God's spiritual kingdom we have to go through a major change of heart and learn to love others. If I remember correctly the last quality in Peter's list to make our election sure is love. I think we must get to the point where we don't just try to respect people or donate some things but we must really really love them and love God. God is love.

I don't think this is a parable since Jesus is talking to his disciples. I thought he spoke parables to the multitudes but sometimes he spoke straightforward to his disciples.

I think Jesus is warning about worrying because if we are always dwelling on our physical needs how will we grow spiritually. I have trouble sometimes worrying about worldly things (jobs etc) and disasters but I gotta realize God is in control and worrying doesnt help one bit.

I hope I did not ramble or preach too much but I just had some thoughts I wanted to share.

May God bless,
Steve

winner08

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 08:51:11 PM »

Yes about love. I hear alot of people saying I love you or them. Change of heart, this is what I pray for every time I pray. Please Lord change my harden heart. I don't feel it. Man I have along way to go. The same about worrying I try so hard not to worry about things. The thing is I can see how my attitude has changed in the last 2mos. Thing I understand that I didn't . Some of the things I felt toward God that I don't now. Things I can see that I couldn't see. But I still have a hard heart. I can feel it. As Ray says it's a life long proses.

Darren

kweli

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 09:02:13 AM »

Firstly, thank you Mike for your question. It brought some light into something else I was battling with.

Steve, thanks greatly for that chapter and explanation. I was battling with an idea and sort of tried to study it away. He had other ideas. I was wondering about fasting. I thought since Jesus taught about fasting then there has to be something about it, not just as a physical ritual but a spiritual key of some sort. Isaiah 58 has just put it plainly to me. That indeed is true fasting, found in the Old Testament as well. Matthew 13:52 Then said He unto them, "Therefore every scribe who is instructed unto the Kingdom of Heaven is like unto a man that is a householder, who bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old."

Darren, hang in there. If I'm not mistaken you sent Ray an email to thank him for the site and God for the 'blessing' (please correct me if im mistaken). If that's so then you know God is working His good pleasure in your life. Hard heart or not, something beyond your mere comprehension is happening to you. Hold on to that.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 10:07:05 AM by kweli »

winner08

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 03:58:28 PM »

Kweli: yes I did write Ray and thank him. Yes I do believe God's working in my life. I remember 2 mos ago I had some hard feeling toward God. Like how could he tell the Hebrews in war to wipe everone out including children. How can God allowe little children to be born with diseases such as cancer and other deadly disease. Any way I was p'd to say the least. Now I can see why He did some of the things He did. I still have a hard time with the children being born with these killer disease. There's a reason I just don't know it. As Ray teaches we can't see what's in front of us, it's only after God opens our eyes and we look backwards and see the truth.As John stood on the sand and heard a voice behind him. When he looked back he could see the things he couldn't see in front of him.

Darren

Roy Monis

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 11:19:14 AM »

Yes about love. I hear alot of people saying I love you or them. Change of heart, this is what I pray for every time I pray. Please Lord change my harden heart. I don't feel it. Man I have along way to go. The same about worrying I try so hard not to worry about things. The thing is I can see how my attitude has changed in the last 2mos. Thing I understand that I didn't . Some of the things I felt toward God that I don't now. Things I can see that I couldn't see. But I still have a hard heart. I can feel it. As Ray says it's a life long proses.

Darren

Hi! Darren

Yes those are beautiful verses and thanks for sharing Steve. I believe we have to get our priorities right. The things of this world matter a great deal to the children of this world, but to the children of God (US) they matter little. If we have adequate food, clothing and shelter then we should be ever so thankful to God and be prepared to share those blessings with others in need, whilst diligently seeking the higher unseen rewards awaiting us in His kingdom: "The night is almost gone, and the day is near. Therefore let us lay aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light." (Rom.13:12)   

You're speaking my language now brother. LOVE, UNCONDITIONAL LOVE, AGAPE LOVE, GODLY LOVE with a contrite and broken heart. "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: A broken and contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise..." (Ps51:17).

God bless                          

Love in Christ Jesus.                         

Roy........"The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love." 1Jn.4:8
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.