bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jonah?  (Read 7683 times)

nightmare sasuke

Jonah?
« on: March 18, 2006, 07:55:23 PM »

Was Jonah in a literal fish?

jerry cabral

In Hell
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 08:48:42 PM »

In Hell

nightmare sasuke

Jonah?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 09:17:05 PM »

Hell does not exist. Only sheol, and hades. Are you telling me he was dead for three days and three nights?--In sheol?

Kevin

Jonah?
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 09:26:51 PM »

I have a Ferrar Fenton bible and this is what he said. Great Fish was the name of the ship mistanslated "Whale" in the version of the greek manuscripts whose blunder has been repeated by all subsequent translators in all languages to the perplexity of their readers, until I decided to go back to the original statement of the prophet in his own Hebrew. Just lettin g you know what he said about it. Hope this helps

nightmare sasuke

Jonah?
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 10:01:54 PM »

I'm not sure what you're saying.

Kevin

Jonah?
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 01:27:31 AM »

Ferrar Fentons' translation of the bible. His footnotes on Jonah said that in the Hebrew translation that the  Great Fish was a ship and then mistranslated to whale in the Greek text. Just letting you know what he said about it.

Nelson

Jonah?
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 11:16:09 AM »

Hi folks,

How was Jonah 'swallowed' (Heb: BLA) and then 'vomited' (Heb: WYQA) by a ship? How did he end up in a ship after being thrown overboard and into the sea? What possible lesson is there in being thrown overboard from a ship and then picked up by another ship and spending three days in the belly of a ship?

I cannot see anything in the Hebrew text that suggests anything other than Jonah being swallowed by a great fish,
    "and he is assigning Yahweh fish great to swallow up Jonah and he is becoming Jonah in bowels of the fish three days and three nights" (Jon 1:17 [transliterated from Hebrew])[/list:u]The Septuagint uses the Greek word ketous for the Hebrew word DG, and ketous is used once in the NT, at Matt 12:40,
      "for, as Jonah was in the belly of the fish (Gk: ketous) three days and three nights, so shall the Son of Man be in the heart of the earth three days and three nights" (Matt 12:40)[/list:u]I know the KJV translates ketous as 'whale', but many other translations use 'great fish' or 'sea monster' and so the word refers to a large creature that lives in the sea.

Jonah in the bowels of a ship hardly seems much of a sign for the Son of Man in the heart of the earth. Interesting stuff though.

Grace and peace to you

Nelson

Kevin

Jonah?
      « Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 11:44:22 AM »

I didnt say that I agreed with it. Heres what it says.But the Ever-Living had appointed The Great Fish to pick up Jonah. And Jonah was three days and three nights in the hold of the Fish, and Jonah prayed to his Ever-Living God from the hold of the Fishand said
      Verse 10-The Ever-Living afterwards directed The Fish and it discharged Jonah on the land.

nightmare sasuke

Jonah?
      « Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 05:25:58 PM »

I wanna know how Jonah could be living in the stomach of a fish. Is it possible? That's why I asked if it was literal or metaphorical, or both.

jerry cabral

Really Now
      « Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 07:14:45 PM »

Know, we could look and Jonah 2:2 and could get the anwser, or we can look at the prayer and the discription of it.  Know even in the depths of Sheol, hell or whatever The God of the person praying seems to have been his Salvationl.  Those who are still looking in the flesh dont thinks theres a Hell, Sheol let pray not the abyss, Try a little of the darkness without the presents of Our God and then have its bars close and see if we will pray as Jonah did.  Sound like he belived in hell. In short, the description defines itself.

nightmare sasuke

Re: Really Now
      « Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 07:51:30 PM »

Quote from: jerry cabral
      Know, we could look and Jonah 2:2 and could get the anwser, or we can look at the prayer and the discription of it.  Know even in the depths of Sheol, hell or whatever The God of the person praying seems to have been his Salvationl.  Those who are still looking in the flesh dont thinks theres a Hell, Sheol let pray not the abyss, Try a little of the darkness without the presents of Our God and then have its bars close and see if we will pray as Jonah did.  Sound like he belived in hell. In short, the description defines itself.

Sounds like you believe Hell is and will be the abscence from God. Well, thus saith the Lord:

Rev 14:9  And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,
      Rev 14:10  The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:

PS. Sheol was the perfect word to describe where Jonah was. He was in the "unseen." Yup, not much seeing or being seen in a fish (literally, or figuratively).

Chris R

yes
      « Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 08:53:31 PM »

Hi All,

Yes, Jonah was in the fish's belly, but like this story, all stories were given to us for our admonition, there is a "spiritual" application to Jonas stay in the great fish.

Jon 1:17 Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Is it possible that the creator of all things could prepare a fish to swallow up a man?..Of Course!

Mat 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

1Cr 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.  

All these things written and experienced are for ONE thing, and that ONE thing is for the understanding of those chosen.

Peace

Chris R

Dan

Jonah?
      « Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 12:45:20 PM »

nightmare sasuke wrote:
      I wanna know how Jonah could be living in the stomach of a fish. Is it possible? That's why I asked if it was literal or metaphorical, or both.

is it possible to stop the sun(earth) from moving?
      is it possible for Samson to pickup a city gate?
      is it possible for the sea to part and the land dry up in a moment?
      is it possible for Elijah to out run a horse?
      is it possible for Moses to turn the Nile into blood?
      is it possible for man to save himself?

"

Mat 19:16  And, behold, coming near, one said to Him, Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?

Key word is what can I do to be saved.
      Jesus said it is impossible for man to save himself, and only God can do it.

Mat 19:25  And His disciples were exceedingly astonished when they heard this, saying, Who then can be saved?
      Mat 19:26  But having looked at them, Jesus said to them, With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.

"I wanna know how Jonah could be living in the stomach of a fish. Is it possible?"

With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.

If only we would BELIEVE we can do or understand nothing(mans will), and REALLY give all the Glory to the Father.

Once we get beyond the milk of belief, we can start to understand some of the real meaty things God has for us.

For instance once we believe that Jonah was in a FISH for 3 days and 3 nights,

we can understand this:

An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth." (Matthew 12:38-40)

if you dont believe the first you cannot believe the second.

An evil and adultrous generation looks for signs: boy people are sure looking for signs today. In fact writing books on them.

They look for fleshly signs in the flesh.

The only sign given to an evil adultrous people is still rejected today.

Today many believe that Jesus died on a Friday afternoon and rose on a Sunday morning at sunrise.

There is NOT three days and three nights in this time frame!

Yes HE will come as a thief on those in the flesh.(self willed, carnal)

Dan

Jonah?
      « Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 01:01:58 PM »

we have nothing to worry about

Jhn 6:64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.
      Jhn 6:65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.
      Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.