bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Holy Spirit, (HIMSELF)  (Read 12755 times)

Roy Monis

Re: The Holy Spirit, (HIMSELF)
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 12:56:58 PM »

Roy I don't know if it right or wrong but I think I have always capitalize the Holy Spirit. I think it's just ingrained in me as I grew up in my early yrs. down south. We were taught always use Mr. and miss or Mrs. in front of an elder name, a sign of respect. Being the Holy spirit is of God and of Christ I never thought of it being any other way. the Holy Spirit it just automatic.

Thanks Darren

Hi! Darren

Great stuff brother, I'm delighted you see it in the same way as I do, because when all is said and done it is our Almighty God's Spirit we are talking about and it is no more trouble to capitalize His name than it is to put it in lower case. You grew up right my brother, you grew up right now keep it up:
"Hear, my son, your father’s instruction And do not forsake your mother’s teaching; Indeed, they are a graceful wreath to your head And ornaments about your neck. My son, if sinners entice you, Do not consent. If they say, “Come with us, Let us lie in wait for blood, Let us ambush the innocent without cause; Let us swallow them alive like Sheol, Even whole, as those who go down to the pit; We will find all kinds of precious wealth, We will fill our houses with spoil; Throw in your lot with us, We shall all have one purse, My son, do not walk in the way with them. Keep your feet from their path."  (Pro.1:8-15)

You are a credit to your mum and dad and all glory to God. Lovely to learn that all the youth of this evil world haven't succumbed to its temptations. 

God bless you my brother in our walk in Christ. 

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy UK     

jerreye

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 06:17:41 PM »

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the message :) I guess we should consider Paul's point on this..."Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.". I believe that the Holy Spirit is that same spirit that God used to give mankind and animals physical life. As I was saying, I believe this spirit has multiple (endless) functions. It is ALL the spirit OF God.

As for spiritual understanding/knowledge/baptism by fire etc, it is from that same spirit, just a different function OF that spirit (power). This is what I am convinced of.

Eph 4:3-6 "There is ONE body and ONE Spirit...ONE Lord, ONE faith, ONE baptism..."

Blessing to you Brother!
Jeremy

Roy Monis

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2008, 08:31:49 AM »

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the message :) I guess we should consider Paul's point on this..."Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.". I believe that the Holy Spirit is that same spirit that God used to give mankind and animals physical life. As I was saying, I believe this spirit has multiple (endless) functions. It is ALL the spirit OF God.

As for spiritual understanding/knowledge/baptism by fire etc, it is from that same spirit, just a different function OF that spirit (power). This is what I am convinced of.

Eph 4:3-6 "There is ONE body and ONE Spirit...ONE Lord, ONE faith, ONE baptism..."

Blessing to you Brother!
Jeremy

Hi! Brother Jeremy

Great Biblical name, your mum and dad chose well.

Now to our point of discussion. If what you say is true then why was the Holy Spirit of God given at Pentecost if they already had the Spirit. I believe that there is a great deal of difference between the breath of life which all living beings receive from God, in order to become alive, and God's Personal Spirit. We cannot and must not equate God's Spirit with the spirit of the lowly creatures like ourselves. This is my point and like Darren just starting out on life it has been with me for the past 87 years and will see me out. All glory to God. Amen!

Brother Jeremy give your Father and His Son their due honour and respect, after all it is His Spirit that now dwells within us that distinguishes us from the rest of mankind and nothing else. If it were not for His Spirit we could not claim to be SEPARATE. The world and Babylon have not got that honour. Praise God! Those who are His chosen have two spirits within them, the human carnal spirit- and God's Personal Spiritual Spirit, if there be such a thing, just to clarify a point of difference between carnal and Spiritual.

Be it right or wrong I could not bring myself to think and act any different. My God is my ALL.

God bless you my brother in our walk in Christ. 

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy UK

jerreye

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2008, 07:53:27 PM »

Hi Roy,

I think you may be misunderstanding me just a smidgen :) When I say it was the SAME SPIRIT that gives life to animals (and all physical life), I mean it all came from the ONE spirit OF GOD (remember, the spirit has MANY FUNCTIONS - this is the KEY I am talking about). I certainly do give the Father and His Son due respect and just because I believe that all these things come from that ONE Spirit of God does not mean that I have not given the Father and the Son due respect. When He says He has given US the "spirit OF truth", is this not the same spirit OF God that gave life to us physically? "TRUTH" is just another function of that spirit. God simply chooses to give this aspect OF His spirit to the FEW (in this age).

Just because God gave animals physical life with His power (spirit), does not mean that He ALSO gave animals spiritual TRUTH. See what I mean? I think we may actually be on the same page, it is just that we think a little bit differently :)

At any rate, I think we can move on from this in agreement that it is the SPIRIT that gives life and that spirit is the spirit OF God!

God bless!
Jeremy
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 08:05:46 PM by jerreye »

mharrell08

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2008, 11:40:07 PM »

Agreed Jeremy and thank you for that excellent point...different aspects of the same spirit. Thanks again

Marques

Kat

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2008, 02:24:33 AM »

Hi Jeremy,

When I say it was the SAME SPIRIT that gives life to animals (and all physical life), I mean it all came from the ONE spirit OF GOD (remember, the spirit has MANY FUNCTIONS - this is the KEY I am talking about).

I understand where you are coming from, all being the same spirit, but with different functions.  But I am looking at how the Scriptures use this word as "spirits." 
We have in Hebrews "Father of spirits" implying there is more than one spirit.

Heb 12:9  Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

In Romans we have where "the Spirit of God" is spoken of separately from "our spirit,"  this would also imply more than one Spirit.

Rom 8:14  For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
Rom 8:16  The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,

Then there is this in Revelations about "the seven Spirits of God" and I'm not real clear on this one, but it does indicate more than one spirit.

Rev 4:5  And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.

Rev 3:1  And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

We know "all things are from God" (1 Cor. 11:12), so to say it's the same because it came from God could apply to everything, even "unclean spirits," mentioned many times in the NT. 

When the Scriptures speak of the "same spirit," it is always speaking of the Believers who have been given the Holy Spirit.

1Co 12:4  There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
v. 8  for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit,
v. 9  to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit,
v. 11  But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

2Co 4:13  And since we have the same spirit of faith, according to what is written, "I believed and therefore I spoke," we also believe and therefore speak,

2Co 12:18  I urged Titus, and sent our brother with him. Did Titus take advantage of you? Did we not walk in the same spirit? Did we not walk in the same steps?

This may all be a matter of semantics, as we may all be trying to say the same thing but just saying it in different ways.  But we all need to say the same thing, so as to understand each other  :)

mercy, peace and love
Kat

jerreye

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2008, 06:14:06 AM »

Hi Kat,

Thank you for those scriptures :)

I certainly believe that there are "many" spirits, in that sense. We are considered a "spirit". Angels are "spirits". However, everything about our "spirit" came from the ONE SOURCE, which is God's spirit (or spirit OF God). The "seven spirits" in Revelation, I believe, is symbolic of His completeness, as we know that "7" is a symbolic number of completeness. This, to me, would symbolize all of the methods/functions/doings/workings etc of His Spirit.

There are many spirits out there, but the source of everyones "spirit" comes from that SINGLE source, and that is the ONE spirit OF God. This is what I mean by ONE spirit.

I'll quote that verse again:

Eph 4:3-6 "There is ONE body [of Christ] and ONE Spirit [of which come ALL "spirits", good works, life, etc, etc.]...ONE Lord, ONE faith, ONE baptism..."

I also believe that these verses which you gave are perfect in showing this:

1Co 12:4  There are diversities of gifts [many different Gifts], but the same [ONE] Spirit.
v. 8  for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit,
v. 9  to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings [another function OF that spirit] by the same Spirit,
v. 11  But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

2Co 4:13  And since we have the same spirit of faith ["faith" being yet another function OF that spirit, which  He gives to whom He wills], according to what is written, "I believed and therefore I spoke," we also believe and therefore speak,

2Co 12:18  I urged Titus, and sent our brother with him. Did Titus take advantage of you? Did we not walk in the same spirit? Did we not walk in the same steps?

This is my personal conviction.  8)

God Bless,
Jeremy

PS: I think you are right,  Kat, we may be saying the same thing, it is just that we may think a bit differently.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 06:19:38 AM by jerreye »

Roy Monis

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2008, 12:27:36 PM »

Hi Kat,

Thank you for those scriptures :)

I certainly believe that there are "many" spirits, in that sense. We are considered a "spirit". Angels are "spirits". However, everything about our "spirit" came from the ONE SOURCE, which is God's spirit (or spirit OF God). The "seven spirits" in Revelation, I believe, is symbolic of His completeness, as we know that "7" is a symbolic number of completeness. This, to me, would symbolize all of the methods/functions/doings/workings etc of His Spirit.

There are many spirits out there, but the source of everyones "spirit" comes from that SINGLE source, and that is the ONE spirit OF God. This is what I mean by ONE spirit.

I'll quote that verse again:

Eph 4:3-6 "There is ONE body [of Christ] and ONE Spirit [of which come ALL "spirits", good works, life, etc, etc.]...ONE Lord, ONE faith, ONE baptism..."

I also believe that these verses which you gave are perfect in showing this:

1Co 12:4  There are diversities of gifts [many different Gifts], but the same [ONE] Spirit.
v. 9  to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings [another function OF that spirit] by the same Spirit,

2Co 4:13  And since we have the same spirit of faith ["faith" being yet another function OF that spirit, which  He gives to whom He wills], according to what is written, "I believed and therefore I spoke," we also believe and therefore speak,

This is my personal conviction.  8)

God Bless,
Jeremy

PS: I think you are right,  Kat, we may be saying the same thing, it is just that we may think a bit differently.

Hi! Jeremy And Kath.

When all is said and done I think we are all speaking the same language. I didn't mean any disrespect to you Jeremy, forgive me if it came over as such. My main concern was with direct reference to the Spirit of the Father and Son. It was meant in this sense that on occasion I have noticed he with reference to Jesus and sometimes, not often mind you, father with reference to the Father. It is often in such cases that the Holy Spirit is referred to as holy spirit.

I do believe that Craig's solution is the best way out. Each one to their own conscience and then leave it for the Father to decide, right or wrong.

This is not an idol of my heart, but if it is then I like it very much and will not try to get rid of it because I love my Father and His Son and I can see no Scripture that denies me that privilege, if you do find one please let me know and I will accept immediately.

Thanks for your input, it has been very helpful indeed in many areas of my thinking.   

God bless you in your walk in Christ. 

Love in Christ Jesus.

Roy UK     

jerreye

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2008, 02:33:48 PM »

Hi Roy, I think I agree with you in that we are basically speaking the same language. And don't worry, I definitely know you didn't mean any disrespect! :)

God Bless you,
Jeremy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.