bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can anyone briefly answers these two questions?  (Read 4402 times)

Paul

Can anyone briefly answers these two questions?
« on: May 23, 2008, 08:08:34 PM »

These are very basic questions.

1. If Jesus wasn't warning about a place where people will be tormented with fire forever and ever, what was he talking about? even if you remove the word hell, the alleged threat is still there and just as clear.

2. What about verses that seem to imply that not everyone will be saved? Like John 3:16 "...whosoever believith..." Why would the verse say "whosoever believes" if everyone's eventually gonna be saved?

Kat

Re: Can anyone briefly answers these two questions?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 09:03:36 PM »

Hi Paul,

1. If Jesus wasn't warning about a place where people will be tormented with fire forever and ever, what was he talking about? even if you remove the word hell, the alleged threat is still there and just as clear.

There is coming the white throne judgment, when all shall give account. 

Heb 4:13  And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.

2Pe 3:7  But the heavens and the earth which are now preserved by the same word, are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

Col 3:5  Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.
Col 3:6  Because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience,
Col 3:7  in which you yourselves once walked when you lived in them.

The one verse I found about 'eternal fire' is in Jude and the word 'eternal' should be translated eonian or age-abiding, as it will only last for that time of judgment.  This is the Lake of fire that the church believe is eternal hell.

Jude 1:7  as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them in a similar manner to these, having given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

2. What about verses that seem to imply that not everyone will be saved? Like John 3:16 "...whosoever believith..." Why would the verse say "whosoever believes" if everyone's eventually gonna be saved?

Heb 11:6  But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

Everyone must come to believe in God, but it is a process.  Everyone must be purged of their sinful ways, this is the judgment they will face, it will not be easy or pleasant, that is the torment spoken of in Scripture.  But everyone will also be taught righteousness, as this much quoted verse by Ray says.

Isa 26:9  With my soul I have desired You in the night,
       Yes, by my spirit within me I will seek You early;
       For when Your judgments are in the earth,
       The inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness.

Everyone will evenually be saved, but most will go through the Lake of fire.  But the first resurrection is the better way, that's why the Apostles always incouraged the believers to not give up.

Heb 11:35 ...Others were tortured, not accepting deliverance, that they might obtain a better resurrection.

Luke 21:36  Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man."

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Re: Can anyone briefly answers these two questions?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 09:05:25 PM »

These are very basic questions.

Basic questions that are answered many times on www.bible-truths.com.

Sorry but there are no shortcuts.

Craig
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.